Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 AM

12 posts, read 29,889 times

Advertisements

I'm from north Texas and never knew Dallas had an art district until now. Why do we even have one? With a bunch of amusement parks, Glenn rose, Turner falls, a lot of home professional sports teams, fort worth stockyards, etc, point being so Many attractions there's really no time to sit and look at art
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Some of Houston's venues are admittedly superior to Dallas, but as a district I would say Dallas is better. The feel of the area just seems better organized, cohesive, and connected being in downtown. This makes events like Aurora possible. It also feels more urban and livelier with the food trucks, the M-Line trolley going through, and Klyde Warren park. The venues are closer together and the District itself is connected to other downtown and uptown areas.

Houston's venues (although well connected by sidewalks) are spread out and divided by single family homes which just makes you walk long distances if your going from one venue to the next.
Sounds like a real neighborhood to me. Most of the venues are very close to each other and very easy to walk to you.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Sounds like a real neighborhood to me. Most of the venues are very close to each other and very easy to walk to you.
right given the layout I find the walk pleasant and many people say the same... are you could just ride a bike there all over the area. If you are talking about the MD then 18 of the 20 or within walking distance ave walk time 10 mins.. or you can bike it and be there in 4

Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
right given the layout I find the walk pleasant and many people say the same... are you could just ride a bike there all over the area. If you are talking about the MD then 18 of the 20 or within walking distance ave walk time 10 mins.. or you can bike it and be there in 4
But EVERYONE knows that Dallas does everything better and more urban than Houston. Our Museum District might as well be Sugar Land.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 AM

213 posts, read 388,234 times
Houston had two arts districts, the Theater and Musuem District. They are older and more established than Dallas's, but Dallas does win a bit for their interesting somewhat new, connected, and large arts district with park that connects downtown with uptown. With our hot summer climate in Texas. Dallas's arts district and Klyde Warren Park needs more large shade trees that are present in Houston's Museum District, and Fort Worth's cultural district. Dallas and all the other arts districts will only get better with age.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
But EVERYONE knows that Dallas does everything better and more urban than Houston. Our Museum District might as well be Sugar Land.
You and Truth are beyond delusional. Dollaztx gave a pretty balanced analysis of both districts but that wasn't good enough for you two.

Houston has the more amazing and international scene with exhibitions that you'd see in higher end cities like NYC and LA. But the district is a bit disjointed, all over the map and not connected in any real way. Dallas offers a more urban cohesive environment that actually looks like an arts district.

That's about as balanced as it gets but you guys are determined to let people know just how amazing Houston is and how it's the best at everything.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You and Truth are beyond delusional. Dollaztx gave a pretty balanced analysis of both districts but that wasn't good enough for you two.

Houston has the more amazing and international scene with exhibitions that you'd see in higher end cities like NYC and LA. But the district is a bit disjointed, all over the map and not connected in any real way. Dallas offers a more urban cohesive environment that actually looks like an arts district.

That's about as balanced as it gets but you guys are determined to let people know just how amazing Houston is and how it's the best at everything.
I was completely objective about my take on both cities. Explain to me how a more aesthetically pleasing arts district (depending on who you ask) absolutely equals a more interesting arts district? It's not always about who looks more sleek or urbane all the time.

I'm willing to admit Dallas' advantages, wherever they might be, but this isn't one of them IMO. Refute our arguments with something solid instead of just always writing us off as homers. You say I boost Houston, and I say you're never willing to give it credit where it's due because you always think we should do things the way other cities do them.

The biggest difference between the two cities here is that Dallas' actual arts district was planned. Houston's came together in a more natural way, and it's still a very walkable area. It's a breeze to get from one venue to the other, so spare me these "disjointed" statements. If I'm delusional for stating the truth, then so be it.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Being planned is a big part of it. Having a hectic unplanned mesh and calling it a district is its fault but if you're willing to not care about that then yes it does have an advantage over Dallas because the exhibits are world class. But how can you deny that having a planned area cohesive to the arts is not a major part of the debate?

Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas gunslinger View Post
I'm from north Texas and never knew Dallas had an art district until now. Why do we even have one? With a bunch of amusement parks, Glenn rose, Turner falls, a lot of home professional sports teams, fort worth stockyards, etc, point being so Many attractions there's really no time to sit and look at art
Probably because there are thousands of people in the Metroplex that appreciates art and like art better than anything you listed.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Being planned is a big part of it. Having a hectic unplanned mesh and calling it a district is its fault but if you're willing to not care about that then yes it does have an advantage over Dallas because the exhibits are world class. But how can you deny that having a planned area cohesive to the arts is not a major part of the debate?
If planned districts are your thing, knock yourself out. I just don't see the appeal. New York City and San Francisco don't have planned arts districts either (though, like Houston, they do have official theater districts), so what exactly is this supposed advantage that we're missing out on?

I could understand this argument if Houston's art venues were located in a dull, highly suburban, unwalkable area with nothing going on, but that isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City