Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times

Advertisements

Atlanta does not have an arts district the same way Dallas and Houston does unfortunately. I guess you can call our center for arts to be northern Midtown, but still....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
I've never been to Dallas's new arts district, but it looks like Dallas's shiny, sleek design seems more bound to garner more media attention. That's what Dallas is known for, It seems that it needs that spotlight. Houston's montrose/museum district is way more established, but unfortunately, it's possibly going to have to face being overshadowed by the glitz coming from our snobby little sister to the north.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Houston's museum district is just a bit disconnected and to get to most of the exhibits you'd have to drive unless you wouldn't mind the two mile trek to the Menil. Or the trek to the holocaust museum or Texas children's.

This doesn't take away from the fact that the exhibits in Houston are way better and that the district is probably the prettiest thing about Houston. I would certainly trade my apt in LA to live in the museum district in Houston it's that nice.

The only thing though is that Dallas does have a planned district that actually looks like a typical district. Its livelier and can display some amazing exhibits outdoors. Its a total package.

As far as Dallas being glitzy, that is what the town is known for. It's a city that's full of what Houston is newly erecting to emulate; gaudy mixed use development town centers with the same shopping as you would find in the mall just a mile away. Its silly how Houston has such potential but it's wasting it trying to be Dallas 2.0.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM

254 posts, read 401,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I've never been to Dallas's new arts district, but it looks like Dallas's shiny, sleek design seems more bound to garner more media attention. That's what Dallas is known for, It seems that it needs that spotlight. Houston's montrose/museum district is way more established, but unfortunately, it's possibly going to have to face being overshadowed by the glitz coming from our snobby little sister to the north.

Of course it's all speculative, but so much of it depends on how much weight is given to quantity vs. quality vs. image.

In many ways, cities are a lot like people... some have a deep appreciation for the arts and some just want to be known as someone who has a deep appreciation for the arts. There are definitely a few cities that have a reputation for the latter.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
So Houston is a real deal and Dallas is a poser? I could kinda see that. Houston is a low key arts city. Definitely have to be in the know to recognize it as such.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Dallas arts district looks the more interesting, but Houston's arts district is more interesting. If you're true art fanatic and lover of the arts, I'd think Houston would offer more.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
They are both great in their way. Dallas's is newer, shinier and more compact and has a slightly contrived ersatz feel. Houston's is older, bigger and emerged more organically and generally has considerably superior institutions and traveling exhibits. Houston is also generally more of a living arts town, more creative activity, though not so much in the museum district itself. For now and the foreseeable future Houston: first rate art museums are hugely capital intensive and take generations to build up, plus the art institutions in Dallas tend to be followers rather than leaders. For example, the Nasher - the best museum in the Dallas art district is essentially a collection of second and third rate pieces by first-rate artists, almost none of them still alive. The Menil in contrast has an impressive rotating collection of contemporary art. The museums in Fort Worth are hugely more important than their Dallas counterparts, but tend to be even more ossified. So for arts districts in Texas, I would rank 'em Houston, Fort Worth, Dallas. All more impressive than anything in Atlanta.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 AM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Pictures I took of the Dallas Arts District

On Flora Street looking towards One Arts Plaza

Museum Tower and Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center

Dallas Museum of Art and the Winspear Opera House

Museum Tower and the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center (Taken under the Winspear Opera House Canopy)

Museum Tower, the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center, and the Winspear Opera House

Dallas City Performance Hall

Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Not really, though. The Menil, of course, is world famous and MFAH is one of the most visited art museums in the nation.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Houston's museum district is just a bit disconnected and to get to most of the exhibits you'd have to drive unless you wouldn't mind the two mile trek to the Menil. Or the trek to the holocaust museum or Texas children's.

This doesn't take away from the fact that the exhibits in Houston are way better and that the district is probably the prettiest thing about Houston. I would certainly trade my apt in LA to live in the museum district in Houston it's that nice.

The only thing though is that Dallas does have a planned district that actually looks like a typical district. Its livelier and can display some amazing exhibits outdoors. Its a total package.

As far as Dallas being glitzy, that is what the town is known for. It's a city that's full of what Houston is newly erecting to emulate; gaudy mixed use development town centers with the same shopping as you would find in the mall just a mile away. Its silly how Houston has such potential but it's wasting it trying to be Dallas 2.0.
I would say where you pulled these ideas from, but I'd receive an infraction for doing so. I'm convinced you've never truly experienced the Museum District. The walk from the Menil to MFAH is just barely over a mile and doesn't even take 30 minutes. You call it a "trek" but most people enjoy the pleasant stroll. On top of that, you have a great selection of restaurants and cafes along the way, should you decide to stop. After you leave the museum, you can hop on METRO rail and be in the Theater District within 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City