Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,033,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
lol first to say that Houston art plans are not organic and now you heap prasie on Dallas for a very planned district, but what makes dallas art district look more like art district ???
Houston's art scene is largely propped up by huge donors and the corporate sector. Artists are moving in and I hope that they create a more centered developed scene. So far Houston arts is disconnected and doesn't provide for much of a major urban scene.

Dallas is more developed and by the looks of it there's a couple of creative council arms of the city that foster its growth, so that is what I mean by organic. Dallas publicly invests into the arts much more so than Houston. I bet, but then again I'm only guessing that there are big shows and exhibitions there not mostly sponsored by big energy.

Seriously, this doesn't take away from Houston but have some perspective man! You get so defensive about Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Wow. The Dallas Arts district actually looks like an arts district. Houston's is nice and is probably the nicest spot in town but it's still a pretty unplanned looking area by comparison.

Dallas for the win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Downtown Dallas' Arts District is the winner imo. It's beautiful. I was quite impressed. Houston's is surprisingly good too but I was really impressed with the Dallas Arts District.
Here's the gotcha: the OP didn't ask which city has the neatest looking arts district. He asked which city has the most interesting arts district. Nothing in Dallas tops the Menil or MFAH, which are world-renowned.

If your idea of an interesting arts district is something as planned as Dallas', then go for it. I prefer the more organic approach in cities like Houston and even New York. You're right up against the Montrose, with all of the museums, the park, a host cafes, restaurants, and shops within walking distance.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,323,636 times
I love the Houston Museum District/Hermann Park area. My favorite area of town. Very nice collection of museums in a beautiful setting. Dallas has a more urban arts district feel. I checked out the Menil a couple of weeks ago. It's a very nice museum.

I like that the DMA is free and located in a very active area and the Nasher Sculpture Center is such a cool place.

Houston's arts scene is great, but I like the venues in Dallas better. Ft Worth has some great museums in their "Cultural District". I feel like Atlanta has an arts complex moreso than a district.

Last edited by R1070; 03-11-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I love the Houston Museum District/Hermann Park area. My favorite area of town. Very nice collection of museums in a beautiful setting. Dallas has a more urban arts district feel. I checked out the Menil a couple of weeks ago. It's a very nice museum.

I like that the DMA is free and located in a very active area and the Nasher Sculpture Center is such a cool place.

Houston's arts scene is great, but I like the venues in Dallas better. Ft Worth has some great museums in their "Cultural District". I feel like Atlanta has an arts complex moreso than a district.
Dallas' Arts District is basically reminiscent of Houston's Theater District. It has the edge of pretty much being downtown. Houston's art venues and Museum District are whole different animal.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM

I do see the comparison to the Theater District, but the Arts District in Dallas just seems to have more vibrancy. The food trucks, Klyde Warren Park, etc add a lot to that area and it's still adding new stuff. It will be exciting to see the area in the future.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I do see the comparison to the Theater District, but the Arts District in Dallas just seems to have more vibrancy. The food trucks, Klyde Warren Park, etc add a lot to that area and it's still adding new stuff. It will be exciting to see the area in the future.
Well I didn't say they were the same. I'm saying they were a closer comparison, and Houston's MD/Montrose area offers a lot more than both.

The activity in Houston's Theater District is mostly at Bayou Place. It's hardly a dead area.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 PM

Perhaps certain areas of Montrose, but Medical District is impressive from the air, but at street level is a snooze. Didn't say the Theater District was dead, simply said the Dallas Arts District area has more vibrancy.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 PM

200 posts, read 295,623 times
Quote:
Perhaps certain areas of Montrose, but Medical District is impressive from the air, but at street level is a snooze. Didn't say the Theater District was dead, simply said the Dallas Arts District area has more vibrancy.
I'm pretty sure Nairobi meant the Museum District for the 'MD' abbreviation, which actually borders Montrose unlike the Medical Center.

Anyhow, the Museum District has plenty of vibrancy and activity around (relatively to the cities compared here) with Rice University, Hermann Park, and the zoo being in the neighborhood, while Midtown and Montrose are practically adjacent to the district. While the Museum District isn't surrounded by many highrises and skyscrapers, I find the oak trees on Main Street and Hermann Park much more pleasant to take a stroll around than Klyde Warren Park imo.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,919,250 times
I preferred Houston's Art District. I really think it is the neatest.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,793,768 times
Some of Houston's venues are admittedly superior to Dallas, but as a district I would say Dallas is better. The feel of the area just seems better organized, cohesive, and connected being in downtown. This makes events like Aurora possible. It also feels more urban and livelier with the food trucks, the M-Line trolley going through, and Klyde Warren park. The venues are closer together and the District itself is connected to other downtown and uptown areas.

Houston's venues (although well connected by sidewalks) are spread out and divided by single family homes which just makes you walk long distances if your going from one venue to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City