Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs Oakland
Oakland 35 43.21%
New Orleans 46 56.79%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM

16,510 posts, read 26,378,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
It must pain you, but I found them to be "too" similar. Same highway, same climate, similar southernness, same region, Jax even has similar architecture in spots and the exact same flora and fauna. Jax also has an old history with the French and Spanish, which is why amazingly it shows up in the architecture sometimes, not just in St. Augustine 30 minutes south, but in the city. Savannah and Charleston to the north, and GA coastal areas south of there have a Gullah black culture that seemed similar to me as cajun culture, accompanied with weird dialects and all.

For me CA was something totally different, especially Norcal, and NOLA was too similar. Are you sad or something I didn't look for a job in NOLA and move down to be your neighbor? NOLA doesn't really even offer my job description so it wouldn't have been an option, though when I was 17 I applied to Tulane as a safety school (this is where my dad went).
Same highway? Haha

Not sure what you mean about similar southerness, Jax doesn't feel like NOLA at all. The region isn't the same either, Jacksonville lies on the Atlantic coast with pretty beaches, New Orleans is in the middle of the Gulf. Jacksonville does not have any similar architecture to New Orleans, not that I've seen. I'd love to be proven wrong there. St. Aug doesn't look or feel anything like New Orleans. St. Augustine is much much smaller and right on the water with a much more Mediterranean feel. There is not Cajun culture in New Orleans so no, you cannot say it's similar to Gullah since you didn't experience Cajun culture in New Orleans.

I just don't understand how you think Jacksonville is anything like New Orleans except for "same highway."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,248,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I respectfully disagree, my man. My wife grew up here and a good bit of her family live in the Lake Forest area of the East and none of them consider the East apart of the City. Anytime you're heading over the bridge its referred to as "going into the city". In fact, most people I've met in New Orleans since moving here refer to it as, "Out there in the East", the same as they'd say "Out on the Westbank".

But hey, you grew up here. I've only visited for years and have lived here for about 6 months. I digress.
I never knew anyone who lived in the East to think they were not a part of the city. Everyone says " Im going to the East" or what have you when referring to N.O. East. Just as they say " Im going Across the Canal" to go to the Lower 9. Once you cross over Poland Ave its still the city all the way down to you hit "Da Parish". When we moved from Uptown we moved to a neighborhood off Lakeforest and Bundy Rd. I cant tell you why they say that but that's like saying Seabrook and Lakeshore or not the city as well.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,248,143 times
Quote:
It must pain you, but I found them to be "too" similar. Same highway, same climate, similar southernness, same region, Jax even has similar architecture in spots and the exact same flora and fauna. Jax also has an old history with the French and Spanish, which is why amazingly it shows up in the architecture sometimes, not just in St. Augustine 30 minutes south, but in the city. Savannah and Charleston to the north, and GA coastal areas south of there have a Gullah black culture that seemed similar to me as cajun culture, accompanied with weird dialects and all.

For me CA was something totally different, especially Norcal, and NOLA was too similar. Are you sad or something I didn't look for a job in NOLA and move down to be your neighbor? NOLA doesn't really even offer my job description so it wouldn't have been an option, though when I was 17 I applied to Tulane as a safety school (this is where my dad went).
This was about walkability at first correct? But you are wrong about Gullah and New Orleans being anything similar. New Orleans has a Creole culture...Cajun culture can be found in places like Acadiana, Lafayette etc....and please, do not tie the CITY of New Orleans to the same as Southern culture. We speak differently, eat differently, have different customs. Nothing like what you think...sorry

Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,093,198 times
Quote:

Why do you keep trying to appeal to emotionalism by mentioning sadness or anger or pain? Is this what you're hoping for or something? Sorry to disappoint...

Anyone reading the posts can deduce that you're only vaguely knowledgeable of New Orleans and even that bit is through proxy(your family). So no hurt feelings on this side when you say Jacksonville and New Orleans are "too similar", which is ridiculous. I truly enjoy Jax, albeit for personal reasons, but to say they're similar is a stretch. Jacksonville is most similar to South Georgia.

So glad Oakland offers what you were looking for. As I say often, New Orleans isn't for everyone and most of us like it that way.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,784,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Again, I stated earlier that walkability is truly localized. You wont walk from Gentilly to the French Quarter. But you also wont walk from Piedmont Ave to Chinatown or Fruitvale. I made that point earlier. And I have spent a lot of time in the East Bay. But I do agree that there are a select few commenting on areas they truly haven't visited outside of maybe a weekend getaway if that.
If you never step on a bus or on BART, yeah. I think a big part of most people's definition of walkable though is how easy it is to get around without a car... No city is walkable by your definition.

Quote:
And as far as street corner store culture, almost all of the one I know of back home in NOLA have deli's as well.
Do any of the corner store delis over there dish up po' boys? Serious question lol.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,093,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Do any of the corner store delis over there dish up po' boys? Serious question lol.
Oh man, please believe it! Why would you even joke about it lol. Some of the best Chinese, Boiled Seafood and Po' Boys in the city are it corner stores and neighborhood grocers.

I do envy the options of Greek and Meditteranean food you guys have at corner stores there though. I love a good gyro!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Same highway? Haha

Not sure what you mean about similar southerness, Jax doesn't feel like NOLA at all. The region isn't the same either, Jacksonville lies on the Atlantic coast with pretty beaches, New Orleans is in the middle of the Gulf. Jacksonville does not have any similar architecture to New Orleans, not that I've seen. I'd love to be proven wrong there. St. Aug doesn't look or feel anything like New Orleans. St. Augustine is much much smaller and right on the water with a much more Mediterranean feel. There is not Cajun culture in New Orleans so no, you cannot say it's similar to Gullah since you didn't experience Cajun culture in New Orleans.

I just don't understand how you think Jacksonville is anything like New Orleans except for "same highway."
Parts of the terrain are similar: flat, coastal land, cypress, live oaks, Spanish moss. The weather is similar. The people are characteristically friendly and laid back. I'd say that's about where the similarities end, though.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Parts of the terrain are similar: flat, coastal land, cypress, live oaks, Spanish moss. The weather is similar. The people are characteristically friendly and laid back. I'd say that's about where the similarities end, though.
Jax felt much more coastal with more cool air and all the waterways with pretty water made it feel very different from New Orleans. Laid back people are all over the south so yeah.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:10 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Jax felt much more coastal with more cool air and all the waterways with pretty water made it feel very different from New Orleans. Laid back people are all over the south so yeah.
Well, I didn't say anything about the waterways; just the land itself. I think coastal southerners are even more friendly than those further inland. Consider why Houston and New Orleans are typically considered more laid back than Dallas or Atlanta are. We drive a lot faster, though. That's the strange part.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, I didn't say anything about the waterways; just the land itself. I think coastal southerners are even more friendly than those further inland. Consider why Houston and New Orleans are typically considered more laid back than Dallas or Atlanta are.
I understand, but the many waterways and canals there are very much part of the land itself.
You're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City