Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs Oakland
Oakland 35 43.21%
New Orleans 46 56.79%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:25 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,784,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Oh man, please believe it! Why would you even joke about it lol. Some of the best Chinese, Boiled Seafood and Po' Boys in the city are it corner stores and neighborhood grocers.
That's basically what I was wondering. Corner stores often have some of the best regional food in the city they're in... Unfortunately I didn't get to try any of the ones in New Orleans when I was there so that's why I asked.

Quote:
I do envy the options of Greek and Meditteranean food you guys have at corner stores there though. I love a good gyro!
Yeah there's quite a few Mediterranean and middle eastern corner stores in Downtown, North Oakland and the upper section of West Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,248,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If you never step on a bus or on BART, yeah. I think a big part of most people's definition of walkable though is how easy it is to get around without a car... No city is walkable by your definition.

Do any of the corner store delis over there dish up po' boys? Serious question lol.
Why of course.....

Old 03-14-2014, 11:36 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,124,407 times
Without totally derailing this thread, it's not that hard to say or believe that CA is much more different to someone from NE FL than NOLA is.

Also, there are plenty of similar architectural elements in NE FL that can be found in NOLA. Jax was under Spanish and French rule for a while, as well, and you'll find the similar wrought iron balconies, etc etc. I've even seen buildings with the Boston ferns hanging in baskets from the eaves (oh wait, even we did that at home!). It may pain you to hear that you can find similar architecture in Mobile and Pensacola, as well. Of course NOLA is characterized and defined by this interesting mix of architecture (Canal being an interesting dividing point between British and French influences as I learned in an architecture class in college ), while Jax simply has "examples". Also, outside of the major Spanish buildings (the cathedral in St. Augie that was built about the same time as the French Catholic cathedral built in NOLA) and the Henry Flagler buildings that took on Spanish architecture, much of the city of St. Augustine from the town part to the surrounding residential areas looks pretty similar to NOLA. Lots of this look actually made its way into older parts of Jax, too.

Now as an example of how ridiculous New Orleans folks are being - we all know we who don't live there don't know much about the city. In fact, there are very few people who have lived in both Oakland and New Orleans who can directly compare the two (none on this thread so far as I can tell), so ALL of us are going off of visits, conjectures, etc.

To most people, outsiders such as myself, Creole is to Cajun as Swamp is to Bayou. Only you ridiculous NOLA people care about whatever subtle differences you know about exist. I never said Gullah was the same as creole or cajun (obvi not), however, it's an old black culture described by Wikipedia as "Sea Island Creole, the Gullah language is related to Jamaican Patois, Barbadian Dialect, Bahamian Dialect, Belizian Creole, and the Krio Language of Sierra Leone"...While so clearly not the same food, culture, or language to French Creole in and around NOLA, it was similar enough *for me*. Just like a bayou is similar enough to me to be considered a type of swamp.

You guys are starting to be really ridiculous. The climate in Jax isn't exactly the same as the climate in NOLA (not two places are!), however drop someone from NY or CA into either city and for 90+% of the year they won't be able to tell a difference, NOLA being more consistently humid. St. Augustine does NOT have a Mediterranean climate (WTF...) The flora and fauna is basically exactly the same...the Jax Beaches will look a little more subtropical/beachy, but overall the two cities will be characterized by Live Oaks, Spanish Moss, bald cypress, a few palm trees, ferns, some subtropical plantings, banana trees, etc etc.

And NOLA may have its very strong, unique version of southern culture intertwined with Creole and Cajun and other mixed things, but it's a freakin part of southern culture! Geezus

The two cities share much more than just a highway...

On to Oakland vs NOLA, which are totally different in all the ways NOLA and Jax are relatively similar (climate, region, feel, architecture, culture) and yet they are very similar in all the ways NOLA and Jax are very different (walkability, urbanity, food scene, etc etc).

Old 03-14-2014, 11:38 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Oh man, please believe it! Why would you even joke about it lol. Some of the best Chinese, Boiled Seafood and Po' Boys in the city are it corner stores and neighborhood grocers.

I do envy the options of Greek and Meditteranean food you guys have at corner stores there though. I love a good gyro!
I envy their authentic Dim Sum.......when I was 10 and living there in Oakland with family for the first time one summer, my uncle would take me to a little Chinese Restaurant and they did Dim Sum....the memories.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Without totally derailing this thread, it's not that hard to say or believe that CA is much more different to someone from NE FL than NOLA is.

Also, there are plenty of similar architectural elements in NE FL that can be found in NOLA. Jax was under Spanish and French rule for a while, as well, and you'll find the similar wrought iron balconies, etc etc. I've even seen buildings with the Boston ferns hanging in baskets from the eaves (oh wait, even we did that at home!). It may pain you to hear that you can find similar architecture in Mobile and Pensacola, as well. Of course NOLA is characterized and defined by this interesting mix of architecture (Canal being an interesting dividing point between British and French influences as I learned in an architecture class in college ), while Jax simply has "examples". Also, outside of the major Spanish buildings (the cathedral in St. Augie that was built about the same time as the French Catholic cathedral built in NOLA) and the Henry Flagler buildings that took on Spanish architecture, much of the city of St. Augustine from the town part to the surrounding residential areas looks pretty similar to NOLA. Lots of this look actually made its way into older parts of Jax, too.

Now as an example of how ridiculous New Orleans folks are being - we all know we who don't live there don't know much about the city. In fact, there are very few people who have lived in both Oakland and New Orleans who can directly compare the two (none on this thread so far as I can tell), so ALL of us are going off of visits, conjectures, etc.

To most people, outsiders such as myself, Creole is to Cajun as Swamp is to Bayou. Only you ridiculous NOLA people care about whatever subtle differences you know about exist. I never said Gullah was the same as creole or cajun (obvi not), however, it's an old black culture described by Wikipedia as "Sea Island Creole, the Gullah language is related to Jamaican Patois, Barbadian Dialect, Bahamian Dialect, Belizian Creole, and the Krio Language of Sierra Leone"...While so clearly not the same food, culture, or language to French Creole in and around NOLA, it was similar enough *for me*. Just like a bayou is similar enough to me to be considered a type of swamp.

You guys are starting to be really ridiculous. The climate in Jax isn't exactly the same as the climate in NOLA (not two places are!), however drop someone from NY or CA into either city and for 90+% of the year they won't be able to tell a difference, NOLA being more consistently humid. St. Augustine does NOT have a Mediterranean climate (WTF...) The flora and fauna is basically exactly the same...the Jax Beaches will look a little more subtropical/beachy, but overall the two cities will be characterized by Live Oaks, Spanish Moss, bald cypress, a few palm trees, ferns, some subtropical plantings, banana trees, etc etc.

And NOLA may have its very strong, unique version of southern culture intertwined with Creole and Cajun and other mixed things, but it's a freakin part of southern culture! Geezus

On to Oakland vs NOLA, which are totally different in all the ways NOLA and Jax are relatively similar (climate, region, feel, architecture, culture) and yet they are very similar in all the ways NOLA and Jax are very different (walkability, urbanity, food scene, etc etc).
To be clear, correcting someone whose only true informative sense of a city is from "Wikipedia" is not defensive...I truly hope that you did not take it from me in that sense. But I will not characterize the Bay Area based off of what I read on the internet...and in that same breath will not let someone whom is commenting on a forum do the latter to my hometown. I will not comment or speak on places I have not been. Or I will definitely qualify my opinion, which if you have read my comments, I stated that I spent multiple summers(3 months at a time) all over the Bay Area..from Richmond to East Oakland. So being corrected by a native New Orleanian should not be seen as an attack by you. If you corrected me on Berkely because you have intimate knowledge of it, then I cannot be mad.

Do not get upset from being corrected on false statements....the statement that Cajun and Creole is the same is false. Period. The statement that OAK is more walkable than N.O. is subjective. There is a difference....

What is your definition of Southern culture? And which aspects of it do you see in NOLA and not in OAK?

Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM

16,511 posts, read 26,378,264 times
Quote:

I'd love to see pictures.

Quote:
Just because you are ignorant to the differences doesn't give you a pass. Creole is very different than Cajun culture and once again a swamp is not a bayou in the least bit. Creole is a mix of cultures, Cajuns were expelled from Acadia and we physically separated from New Orleans by swamps and wetlands.
Gullah is unique like Creole so I agree that's correct but the fact that you said Cajun shows how little you know about the area.

Quote:
I never said it had a Med. climate, I was talking about it's architecture.

Quote:
Yeah, climate.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
To be clear, correcting someone whose only true informative sense of a city is from "Wikipedia" is not defensive...I truly hope that you did not take it from me in that sense. But I will not characterize the Bay Area based off of what I read on the internet...and in that same breath will not let someone whom is commenting on a forum do the latter to my hometown. I will not comment or speak on places I have not been. Or I will definitely qualify my opinion, which if you have read my comments, I stated that I spent multiple summers(3 months at a time) all over the Bay Area..from Richmond to East Oakland. So being corrected by a native New Orleanian should not be seen as an attack by you. If you corrected me on Berkely because you have intimate knowledge of it, then I cannot be mad.

Do not get upset from being corrected on false statements....the statement that Cajun and Creole is the same is false. Period. The statement that OAK is more walkable than N.O. is subjective. There is a difference....

What is your definition of Southern culture? And which aspects of it do you see in NOLA and not in OAK?
I agree with you on premise, but this thread keeps jumping into ridiculous tangents (the whole swamp vs bayou thing which I was never a part of but found the NOLA posters annoying there too, and now the whole Jax has no similarities to NOLA thing which was a statement that arose from a NOLA person simply because I stated I enjoyed having something more different for myself here in CA which has collapsed into Creole vs Cajun and "there is not one similarity to Gullah", etc etc). Now you're arguing that there is not southern culture in NOLA and asking me what I define as southern culture, etc etc.

Some people are a little more big picture. Also Wikipedia used to not be defensive, but they simply quote from primary sources now like an encyclopedia. If one were to use Wikipedia to define "bayou", and it didn't fit your definition of bayou because maybe swamp was in the definition somewhere, you'd have to take it up not with Wikipedia, but whatever research article was used for the definition, or the quote. All Wiki does now is compile legitimate research and make it searchable and free for all who have access to the internet.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'd love to see pictures.

I've actually posted tons of pics to C-D years ago (not sure if I still have the links up but they would be in the Jax forum). I've also posted to other forums that I typically spend more time on (along with other pics from cities I have visited and had time to really photograph, such as NYC, Boston, Seattle, Paris, etc) Where are your pics? You should lead with that before demanding I spend the time to post mine, and then perhaps I'll match yours. I've already posted a few old pics of Oakland! Besides my hard-drive is crashed and to retrieve all my old data I have to spend $$$$ for a clean lab to extract it. I'm waiting on that for now.

I never said it had a Med. climate, I was talking about it's architecture.

One of you other lovely NOLA posters blurbed that.

Yeah, climate.

Keep telling yourself that.
Red.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:27 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,092,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post

That. It always puzzles me when someone can't accept that their view of a place they're unfamiliar with is incorrect. Would you not logically expect it to be?

Quote:
I agree with you on premise, but this thread keeps jumping into ridiculous tangents (the whole swamp vs bayou thing which I was never a part of but found the NOLA posters annoying there too, and now the whole Jax has no similarities to NOLA thing which was a statement that arose from a NOLA person simply because I stated I enjoyed having something more different for myself here in CA which has collapsed into Creole vs Cajun and "there is not one similarity to Gullah", etc etc). Now you're arguing that there is not southern culture in NOLA and asking me what I define as southern culture, etc etc.

Some people are a little more big picture. Also Wikipedia used to not be defensive, but they simply quote from primary sources now like an encyclopedia. If one were to use Wikipedia to define "bayou", and it didn't fit your definition of bayou because maybe swamp was in the definition somewhere, you'd have to take it up not with Wikipedia, but whatever research article was used for the definition, or the quote. All Wiki does now is compile legitimate research and make it searchable and free for all who have access to the internet.
There has been no mention of bayou/swamp in this thread. And we will not get into that here. If your definition of "jumping into ridiculous tangents" is simply correcting false information, then every other post in this thread and all others are tangents...including your own.

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 03-14-2014 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 PM

16,511 posts, read 26,378,264 times
Quote:
Red.
A couple areas are slightly reminiscent of New Orleans but it doesn't remind me of New Orleans very much. The streets are wider, there seems to be many more palm trees than in New Orleans, and seems much of the blocks I've seen on streetview have homes with on average noticeably larger, not very much, lots. Looks closer to Savannah/Charleston to me. Maybe that's nitpicking but it's how I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City