Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,254,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Simply because they're different beasts. Georgetown is where DC's high end shopping is. In Philadelphia, it would be Rittenhouse Square, which is half highrises, half rowhomes.

Georgetown and Rittenhouse Square would easily be the most comparable neighborhoods from the two cities.

Entirely rowhome neighborhoods with great amenities? Bella Vista, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital, Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Northern Liberties, Spruce Hill and Manayunk would probably do the trick. I would actually throw Templetown in there as a neighborhood that is quickly changing with quickly improving amenities.
What are Philly's equivalents to say Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Mount Pleasant, Columbia Heights, Capitol Hill, Shaw, Atlas District, etc.? Just out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,254,356 times
Quote:
What do you mean? Am I wrong in saying Philadelphia has urban towns outside of city proper?

Am I wrong in saying Philadelphia is more urban than DC? Philadelphia, with it's taller buildings, and narrower streets. Am I wrong in saying Philadelphia has skyscrapers where DC does not. Please help me find what I said that was delusional.
How do skyscrapers make a place urban though? Is Atlanta more urban than Philadelphia? They look like they got more skyscrapers than you guys. I never understood this argument from people who criticize DC's skyline. DC is more vibrant overall than most American cities with skyscrapers. There are European cities with hardly any skyscrapers and smaller city limits that are far more vibrant than most US cities.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 PM

27,793 posts, read 28,907,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I wouldn't say that it's hard to describe. In fact, they are very intertwined. Just look at the business travel between the two. Plus, DC's regulatory capacity has influence in NYC.
From what I've sensed over the last several years, the relationship between NYC and DC goes something like this:

NYC is basically critical of DC because of increased federal regulations on Wall Street activities. Especially since the Wall Street bailout(s) by the federal government, there has been something of a power shift where DC has gained relative power over the activities in NYC. But NYC would rather have DC just get out of the way.

DC, on the other hand, wants to pretty much let NYC do whatever it wants to do - as long as Wall Street doesn't plunge the U.S. economy into another great depression. If that can be avoided, then everything is good to go.

People ultimately just want more money in their pockets. So if the stock market and U.S. companies perform well, then everybody goes home happy.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,755,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Most European cities don't have skyscrapers either. Does that make Philly better than say...Paris? I know you have this strange hatred of DC but at least try something better to throw at The Nation's Capital.....Why should DC apologize for not looking like the typical American city?
??

I don't hate DC at all. I actually like DC a lot. Actually, most modern day European cities do have skyscrapers. The only one that doesn't that I can think of is Rome.

And Paris certainly has Skyscrapers. The tallest in the actual city is 689 feet.
existing | Buildings | EMPORIS

Then there is La Defense, right outside of the city limits with a tallest of 758 feet
La Défense | Buildings | EMPORIS

Quote:
What are Philly's equivalents to say Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Mount Pleasant, Columbia Heights, Capitol Hill, Shaw, Atlas District, etc.? Just out of curiosity.
IDK the exact matches to all of them, but the best urban rowhome neighborhoods in Philly are pretty numerous:

These first neighborhoods have a section with mostly rowhomes, and a section with mostly highrises:
Rittenhouse Square
Logan Square
Washington Square West

The rest of these neighborhoods are majority rowhome neighborhoods with great amenities:
Fitler Square
Society Hill
Graduate Hospital
Bella Vista
Queen Village
Pennsport
Passyunk Square
East Passyunk Crossing
Spruce Hill
Clark Park
Squirrel Hill
Woodland Terrace
Cedar Park
Garden Court
Powelton Village
Fairmount
Spring Garden
Northern Liberties
Manayunk

These neighborhoods have parts of rowhome urbanity within them and have great amenities (mostly on the outer edges of the city):

East Falls
Germantown
West Mt. Airy
East Mt. Airy
Chestnut Hill

These neighborhoods are up and coming:
Fishtown
Newbold
Spring Arts
Poplar
Brewerytown
Francisville
Templetown
Olde Kensington
Walnut Hill
Mantua
West Powelton

Quote:
How do skyscrapers make a place urban though? Is Atlanta more urban than Philadelphia? They look like they got more skyscrapers than you guys. I never understood this argument from people who criticize DC's skyline. DC is more vibrant overall than most American cities with skyscrapers. There are European cities with hardly any skyscrapers and smaller city limits that are far more vibrant than most US cities.
Skyscrapers add more people in a smaller area. A 2,000 sq foot lot could hold 350+ people in a nice 25 floor highrise. This brings a lot more foot traffic to an area than a 5-10 floor building would in that footprint.

I don't criticize DC's skyline. I like it's uniqueness, I'm just saying it's not going to then be more urban than a city like Philadelphia that have skyscrapers that meet the street well on narrow streets. It just makes the city feel larger and makes the urban canyons look more imposing and endless. Again, a lot of modern day European cities do have highrises and skyscrapers.

Atlanta does not have more skyscrapers than Philadelphia. I think Atlanta has 62 and Philadelphia has 72 buildings over 300 feet.

Also, what Philadelphia does better is highrises and skyscrapers that meet the street well. They have good interaction with the street. Atlanta's skyscrapers are usually set back on plazas and have poor street fronting (no street level retail and blank walls facing the street). You experience the same thing in Dallas, Houston, Miami and parts of Downtown Los Angeles.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 03-24-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 08:41 PM

6,358 posts, read 8,883,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

People ultimately just want more money in their pockets. So if the stock market and U.S. companies perform well, then everybody goes home happy.
i'm not sure what country you're talking about. It sure doesn't sound like the United States. U.S. companies aren't even U.S. companies; they multi-national and don't give a rat's ass about the U.S. They do well by outsourcing their jobs to other nations where the cost of labor is cheaper and they don't have to pay for externalities. Or they sell off their parts, piece by piece, to make a profit for their shareholders and their executives at the expense of their productivity and their future worth.

how many people in this country are doing miserably when Wall Street is doing well. Does it even reflect the real economy. Wall Street, it seems to me, has worked hard to trash the economy. We have the widest income disparity of any advanced nation.

Most Americans are not doing well, and far too many of us are in poverty or near poverty.

but, yes, I will agree with you that a small group of Americans at the apex of the economic pie are doing very well by Wall Street, thank you very much, and they definitely go home happy. The fact that millions of americans don't even have a home to go to should, of course, not in the least affect their joy.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,987,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
i'm not sure what country you're talking about. It sure doesn't sound like the United States. U.S. companies aren't even U.S. companies; they multi-national and don't give a rat's ass about the U.S. They do well by outsourcing their jobs to other nations where the cost of labor is cheaper and they don't have to pay for externalities. Or they sell off their parts, piece by piece, to make a profit for their shareholders and their executives at the expense of their productivity and their future worth.

how many people in this country are doing miserably when Wall Street is doing well. Does it even reflect the real economy. Wall Street, it seems to me, has worked hard to trash the economy. We have the widest income disparity of any advanced nation.

Most Americans are not doing well, and far too many of us are in poverty or near poverty.

but, yes, I will agree with you that a small group of Americans at the apex of the economic pie are doing very well by Wall Street, thank you very much, and they definitely go home happy. The fact that millions of americans don't even have a home to go to should, of course, not in the least affect their joy.
Well said.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,193,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
SEC does have a major interest in Wall Street, yes. FCC and FDA interests are everywhere, though.
New York is the media capital of the world. The FCC regulates all media. See the relationship?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,193,471 times
Quote:
??

I don't hate DC at all. I actually like DC a lot. Actually, most modern day European cities do have skyscrapers. The only one that doesn't that I can think of is Rome.

And Paris certainly has Skyscrapers. The tallest in the actual city is 689 feet.
existing | Buildings | EMPORIS

Then there is La Defense, right outside of the city limits with a tallest of 758 feet
La Défense | Buildings | EMPORIS

IDK the exact matches to all of them, but the best urban rowhome neighborhoods in Philly are pretty numerous:

These first neighborhoods have a section with mostly rowhomes, and a section with mostly highrises:
Rittenhouse Square
Logan Square
Washington Square West

The rest of these neighborhoods are majority rowhome neighborhoods with great amenities:
Fitler Square
Society Hill
Graduate Hospital
Bella Vista
Queen Village
Pennsport
Passyunk Square
East Passyunk Crossing
Spruce Hill
Clark Park
Squirrel Hill
Woodland Terrace
Cedar Park
Garden Court
Powelton Village
Fairmount
Spring Garden
Northern Liberties
Manayunk

These neighborhoods have parts of rowhome urbanity within them and have great amenities (mostly on the outer edges of the city):

East Falls
Germantown
West Mt. Airy
East Mt. Airy
Chestnut Hill

These neighborhoods are up and coming:
Fishtown
Newbold
Spring Arts
Poplar
Brewerytown
Francisville
Templetown
Olde Kensington
Walnut Hill
Mantua
West Powelton

Skyscrapers add more people in a smaller area. A 2,000 sq foot lot could hold 350+ people in a nice 25 floor highrise. This brings a lot more foot traffic to an area than a 5-10 floor building would in that footprint.

I don't criticize DC's skyline. I like it's uniqueness, I'm just saying it's not going to then be more urban than a city like Philadelphia that have skyscrapers that meet the street well on narrow streets. It just makes the city feel larger and makes the urban canyons look more imposing and endless. Again, a lot of modern day European cities do have highrises and skyscrapers.

Atlanta does not have more skyscrapers than Philadelphia. I think Atlanta has 62 and Philadelphia has 72 buildings over 300 feet.

Also, what Philadelphia does better is highrises and skyscrapers that meet the street well. They have good interaction with the street. Atlanta's skyscrapers are usually set back on plazas and have poor street fronting (no street level retail and blank walls facing the street). You experience the same thing in Dallas, Houston, Miami and parts of Downtown Los Angeles.

But DC doesn't even have skyscrapers and still has more urban canyons than Philly. A lot more! So i guess you can throw this out of the window as well with your whole rowhouse analogy because you still didn't tell me what all rowhouse neighborhood in Philly is more urban than Gtown or Old Town. Any city not named New York, Chicago and maybe SF should not brag about their skyscrapers because they basically are a small part of the urban fabric.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM

27,793 posts, read 28,907,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

The stock markets in the United States are diversified enough that they are able to benefit from the multi-national companies as well as from overseas companies.

In every game, there are winners and there are losers. Many people have made fortunes in the stock market in recent years, for example, while others have been holding off and on the sidelines. It's all about how you approach the game. Nothing is permanent.

Knowledge, risk, reward, and luck all come into play. It's kind of how life is, I guess.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:54 PM

6,358 posts, read 8,883,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well said.
thanks, 2elm. someone had to say it. the disconnect is mind boggling. then again, the disconnect among the 1% and and those others in that rarified air above is even more mind boggling. do these lords of wall street and the universe realize how close they are to their own "let them eat cake"/storming of the Bastille/chopping block?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City