Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So, you think these chefs across the nation would bring their restaurants to D.C. if it had the same wealthy, but had all African American neighborhoods? Come on now. You know they wouldn't They wouldn't want to target that market.
If you had 60,000 African American households with cash to blow on cupcakes, expensive teas and trinkets, then yeah, they'd come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Prince George's County is "wealthy" in a relative sense. It's "wealthy" compared to Detroit, Camden, Philadelphia and other places with large Black populations. To be fair, it's also wealthier in parts compared to some majority-white parts of suburban Philadelphia. But it's not the type of wealth that's going to attract a ton of high end businesses.
Its wealthier than the typical American suburb. Though below average for a suburb in a wealthier metro but not drastically so. Comparing to some middle-class Philadelphia or Long Island suburbs might be fitting.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Prince George's County is "wealthy" in a relative sense. It's "wealthy" compared to Detroit, Camden, Philadelphia and other places with large Black populations. To be fair, it's also wealthier in parts compared to some majority-white parts of suburban Philadelphia. But it's not the type of wealth that's going to attract a ton of high end businesses.

Who said anything about high-end? It can't attract any businesses. It also can't attract any jobs. Let's all not act like this isn't still an issue in America. Maybe the real issue is African American people with money don't spend their money on those things for the most part. I think we may need to keep that in mind too. They don't like small plates. They don't trust ethnic food generally except west indian. I mean, let's be honest here. The investment in these cities across America is not for African Americans for the most part. It's not their style I guess. Maybe that's why it didn't come before now. African Americans wouldn't support them even with money.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Who said anything about high-end? It can't attract any businesses. It also can't attract any jobs. Let's all not act like this isn't still an issue in America. Maybe the real issue is African American people with money don't spend their money on those things for the most part. I think we may need to keep that in mind too. They don't like small plates. They don't trust ethnic food generally except west indian. I mean, let's be honest here. The investment in these cities across America is not for African Americans for the most part. It's not their style I guess. Maybe that's why it didn't come before now. African Americans wouldn't support them even with money.
I don't think they would support those particular businesses. But you would have more businesses. You'd probably have more places like Bus Boys and Poets.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
MDAllstar is right. Race has everything to do with it. The outerloop of Prince George's County, if it were white would have Nordstrom, Banana Republic, the Capital Grill, Ralph Lauren and so on. But it continues to be ignored. Even the stores like Macy's in PG County do not carry many of the brands like neighboring county stores. These stores continue to open stores in white areas of the country with lower incomes. Someone messaged me on this subject and said black people don't shop in those stores. Are you kidding me???

Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
I don't think they would support those particular businesses. But you would have more businesses. You'd probably have more places like Bus Boys and Poets.

Agreed. You would have more black upper class businesses. That wouldn't put D.C. on anyone's map though except the African American community and we have always been at the top with Atlanta on that map.

I think in reality, there is a greater divide among the African American community and the White, Asian, and Latin American communities than most would want to admit. Those communities all typically support each other’s establishments. The same is not true for the African American community. They don't patronize our establishments in general. Call it racism, call it class, call it segregation, call it economics, call it history, call it whatever you want. It's a fact in general.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Nordstrom is in Bethesda and Arlington. Those are two of the most affluent areas of the DC region. PG County is just not that wealthy when taking the whole region into account.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
MDAllstar is right. Race has everything to do with it. The outerloop of Prince George's County, if it were white would have Nordstrom, Banana Republic, the Capital Grill, Ralph Lauren and so on. But it continues to be ignored. Even the stores like Macy's in PG County do not carry many of the brands like neighboring county stores. These stores continue to open stores in white areas of the country with lower incomes. Someone messaged me on this subject and said black people don't shop in those stores. Are you kidding me???

100% agreed!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Nordstrom is in Bethesda and Arlington. Those are two of the most affluent areas of the DC region. PG County is just not that wealthy when taking the whole region into account.
All Star has a point! Race plays a huge factor in where retail stores choose to locate. I don't know if it's a stereotype or what but these corporate suits have no idea that blacks probably spend a higher percentage of their disposble income on clothes than any other race. You rarely see white, asian, indian kids, etc.... standing in line for 12 hours for a pair of $250 J's.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
All Star has a point! Race plays a huge factor in where retail stores choose to locate. I don't know if it's a stereotype or what but these corporate suits have no idea that blacks probably spend a higher percentage of their disposble income on clothes than any other race. You rarely see white, asian, indian kids, etc.... standing in line for 12 hours for a pair of $250 J's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City