Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,166 posts, read 7,636,946 times

Advertisements

Look, LA is a beast, an absolute beast. It is undoubtedly dense and urban, but the development style of LA is unlike many of the cities it's being compared to with smaller amounts of land. You cannot compare a city as massive as Los Angeles to something the size of Boston or DC, it will not be an apples to apples comparison. What people in those cities consider urbanity may look like the suburbs to them, but in city proper LA would be considered urban. It's just the difference of the sunbelt vs everywhere else. Things are more spread out and structured different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,186,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Come to Los Angeles....I PROMISE there will be more Asians & Whites are more into street wear than AA's.
Maybe in LA. But not back on the east coast.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:37 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,887,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Do strip malls discourage the citizens who live close by these centers from walking? The thousands of people who live in my neighborhood certainly don't jump in their cars to walk two blocks to Starbucks or the bagel shop just because there's 6 or 7 parking spaces. Besides, many around me park on the street and street parking is a hassle where I live. So why give that up just to drive 2 or 3 blocks to a strip mall.
One way to get some sense of this is by looking at the number of households without a vehicle. While it might not capture the full scale of pedestrian activity, it serves as a decent barometer (imo). If you don't own a car, then you're going to walk for pretty much any trip you make, not just some of them.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,580,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Can someone explain to me why strip malls in this country by and large are designed with parking in the front? Why not put it in the back and have store fronts facing the street? Is it just stupidity or an effort to make people walk as little as possible?
A little of both. At least these structures are very impermanent.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 PM

437 posts, read 631,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Look, LA is a beast, an absolute beast. It is undoubtedly dense and urban, but the development style of LA is unlike many of the cities it's being compared to with smaller amounts of land. You cannot compare a city as massive as Los Angeles to something the size of Boston or DC, it will not be an apples to apples comparison. What people in those cities consider urbanity may look like the suburbs to them, but in city proper LA would be considered urban. It's just the difference of the sunbelt vs everywhere else. Things are more spread out and structured different.
The density of DC would be considered suburban in LA, SF, NY, Chicago, etc.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:10 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,244,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
And what about Boston, especially with the North End neighborhood? Hmmm?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM

5,865 posts, read 15,277,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
One way to get some sense of this is by looking at the number of households without a vehicle. While it might not capture the full scale of pedestrian activity, it serves as a decent barometer (imo). If you don't own a car, then you're going to walk for pretty much any trip you make, not just some of them.
Like someone mentioned you really can't compare Los Angeles and its nearly 500 square miles to cities like DC, Boston and the rest of the much smaller cities and their 40-60 square miles. I catch public transit and walk all the time but I do own a car too.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:07 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,887,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Like someone mentioned you really can't compare Los Angeles and its nearly 500 square miles to cities like DC, Boston and the rest of the much smaller cities and their 40-60 square miles. I catch public transit and walk all the time but I do own a car too.
Sure you can. You just run the numbers for the densest 47 or 60 sq. miles of the city. I did that for transit riders in another thread.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,701,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sure you can. You just run the numbers for the densest 47 or 60 sq. miles of the city. I did that for transit riders in another thread.
Yea, sort of depends on what kind of comparison that's being attempted. Densest over a certain square mile? There are stats for that.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,166 posts, read 7,636,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post

This would be considered suburban in DC!

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0621...Os8aTvPaxQ!2e0

This is a suburb of DC:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...2db774fb15e9ad

you people are hilarious, now I get why they call it La La land. This argument is about urban core, not city wide density.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-10-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City