Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,989,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you don't think race played any part of it? There were many upper class African American households in DC for years and they never came to the neighborhood. I think there is a major elephant in the room here. Money only plays a certain part in this. Look how many restaurants exist in poor areas in other cities. The requirement typically has to do with the race of that poor area.
Not sure I totally follow to be honest; if anything I think the nature of DC core historically had more to do with lacking diversity in offerings which is changing - more folks living and working and seeking more options

Philadelphia has a large black population as well and yet in the core has had a diverse and thriving restaurant scene for years.

Maybe in non core neighborhoods there is more ethnic diversity in other places. Could be say a place like like South Philly traditionally Italian has had an influx of asian and mexican immigrants and now has more diverse offerings. Not sure why the same dynamic could not take place in DC (which has to a certain extent)

On Starr; his places are much about scene as they are about food and they draw from a wide array of offerings. Beer Gardens to French - He is about making money and entertaining people via the food experience really

http://www.starr-restaurant.com/

DC has people with money seeking this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM

32,133 posts, read 34,801,420 times
Quote:
So you don't think race played any part of it? There were many upper class African American households in DC for years and they never came to the neighborhood. I think there is a major elephant in the room here. Money only plays a certain part in this. Look how many restaurants exist in poor areas in other cities. The requirement typically has to do with the race of that poor area.
I don't think race plays any role in that. In 2000, the number of Black and White households in DC earning more than $100,000 looked like this:

Black - 10,725 (1,683 earning $200,000 or more)
White - 27,229 (9,183 earning $200,000 or more)

Today, those numbers look like this:

Black - 21,352 (4,088 earning $200,000 or more)
White - 61,684 (24,524 earnng $200,000 or more)

The growth in White wealth is simply outpacing the growth in Black wealth by a very large margin. When households with high incomes move to the city, businesses come. DC didn't have many businesses before because the money wasn't there.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times
It looked like the increase in wealthy white and black households was the same % wise. The only difference is that there are just more well-off white households.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:27 AM

13,732 posts, read 15,799,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think race plays any role in that. In 2000, the number of Black and White households in DC earning more than $100,000 looked like this:

Black - 10,725 (1,683 earning $200,000 or more)
White - 27,229 (9,183 earning $200,000 or more)

Today, those numbers look like this:

Black - 21,352 (4,088 earning $200,000 or more)
White - 61,684 (24,524 earnng $200,000 or more)

The growth in White wealth is simply outpacing the growth in Black wealth by a very large margin. When households with high incomes move to the city, businesses come. DC didn't have many businesses before because the money wasn't there.

I'm talking about 1960-2000 when D.C. was dubbed Chocolate City and had a thriving African Amercian cultural scene. I'm talking about a restaurant wanting to locate near wealthy African American neighborhoods. Look at outer Prince George's County. There is a ton of wealth. And nothing to serve that wealth. I would wager if there was a city that was extremely wealthy and 100% African American, there would not be many chefs trying to move into that market. Maybe chains, but that's about it. It's just the way it is and I think it plays a major role in the food history in Washington D.C.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,843 times
Quote:
I'm talking about 1960-2000 when D.C. was dubbed Chocolate City and had a thriving African Amercian cultural scene. I'm talking about a restaurant wanting to locate near wealthy African American neighborhoods. Look at outer Prince George's County. There is a ton of wealth. And nothing to serve that wealth. I would wager if there was a city that was extremely wealthy and 100% African American, there would not be many chefs trying to move into that market. Maybe chains, but that's about it. It's just the way it is and I think it plays a major role in the food history in Washington D.C.
It's similar to property values. Even if the neighborhoods is vastly black and upper class, the property values won't be as high as their white counterparts within the same socio-economic class and studies have proved this.

But you can't blame that for DC's once awful food scene because NOLA is majority black, yet it has a thriving food scene that is arguably number 1.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not sure I totally follow to be honest; if anything I think the nature of DC core historically had more to do with lacking diversity in offerings which is changing - more folks living and working and seeking more options

Philadelphia has a large black population as well and yet in the core has had a diverse and thriving restaurant scene for years.

Maybe in non core neighborhoods there is more ethnic diversity in other places. Could be say a place like like South Philly traditionally Italian has had an influx of asian and mexican immigrants and now has more diverse offerings. Not sure why the same dynamic could not take place in DC (which has to a certain extent)

On Starr; his places are much about scene as they are about food and they draw from a wide array of offerings. Beer Gardens to French - He is about making money and entertaining people via the food experience really

STARR Restaurants

DC has people with money seeking this...
The lacking in offerings had to do with the lack of people wanting to open businesses in the core because it was black. There was a mass business exodus from D.C. in the 1960's and it took 50 years to return. Why?

It's not about population of one race, it's about percentages. Philly has never been a one race town and never will be. D.C. was named Chocolate City for a reason. Business people took note. Many people from other races feel very uncomfortable sitting in a restaurant with all black people. It's bad for business I guess.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-09-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's similar to property values. Even if the neighborhoods is vastly black and upper class, the property values won't be as high as their white counterparts within the same socio-economic class and studies have proved this.

But you can't blame that for DC's once awful food scene because NOLA is majority black, yet it has a thriving food scene that is arguably number 1.

The food in New Orleans is because of White french culture. Let's be honest here. Cajan cuisine is not African American. New Orleans is nothing like DC, Baltimore, Detriot, or Memphis. It's French.

Also, the property values point is right on. That's what I'm talking about.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It looked like the increase in wealthy white and black households was the same % wise. The only difference is that there are just more well-off white households.
And in this case, the absolute number makes all the difference.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And in this case, the absolute number makes all the difference.

So, you think these chefs across the nation would bring their restaurants to D.C. if it had the same amount of wealthy people, but in all African American neighborhoods? Come on now. You know they wouldn't They wouldn't want to target that market.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Prince George's County is "wealthy" in a relative sense. It's "wealthy" compared to Detroit, Camden, Philadelphia and other places with large Black populations. To be fair, it's also wealthier in parts compared to some majority-white parts of suburban Philadelphia. But it's not the type of wealth that's going to attract a ton of high end businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City