Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 71 48.63%
San Francisco 75 51.37%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Several months ago, I started a thread comparing two of our Alpha Cities, Chicago and Los Angeles. A few months later and over 40 pages posted, it seems Los Angeles has won with 71% of the vote and overwhelming support.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post34264061

I figured I would match Chicago up to a city that may more closely be its peer, San Francisco. So I pose the same question.

When people think of the United States, especially foreigners, which city's culture and icons are more prominent?

Is it Chicago with its ultra modern, sleek, and spiraling downtown, Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower)and Loop?

Or is it San Francisco, with its Golden Gate Bridge, deep rooted Chinese history, ultra flamboyant persona and politics?

This is not to discuss which city is better, more well off, safer, etc. Just which one sticks out more, which one is a greater producer of culture, which one comes to mind first when people think of the United States. Have at it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,506 times
I have said this a few times on this forum, Chicago is somewhat unique in that it is more important / iconic / cultural / noticeable / etc within it's country's own borders than it is in the rest of the world - and SF is the opposite.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM

95 posts, read 117,825 times
chicago

Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Chicago vs San Francisco: Which one is more Cultural and Iconic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Several months ago, I started a thread comparing two of our Alpha Cities, Chicago and Los Angeles. A few months later and over 40 pages posted, it seems Los Angeles has won with 71% of the vote and overwhelming support.

I figured I would match Chicago up to a city that may more closely be its peer, San Francisco. So I pose the same question.

When people think of the United States, especially foreigners, which city's culture and icons are more prominent?

Is it Chicago with its ultra modern, sleek, and spiraling downtown, Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower)and Loop?

Or is it San Francisco, with its Golden Gate Bridge, deep rooted Chinese history, ultra flamboyant persona and politics?

This is not to discuss which city is better, more well off, safer, etc. Just which one sticks out more, which one is a greater producer of culture, which one comes to mind first when people think of the United States. Have at it!
I am really not sure who to vote for because while I think of Chicago being more "cultural", I think San Francisco is more "iconic"!

Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 PM

443 posts, read 878,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Don't forget Haight-Ashbury, Castro, San Francisco's iconic rowhouse stock throughout the City. I'd say SF has more colorful, distinct and well-known neighborhoods than Chicago. However, there is no doubt Chicago is a more "American" city,

Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Orzo View Post
Why aren't you using your other account orzo? Relegate is good cop orzo is bad cop...
Wow, someone got their feelings hurt because San Francisco is hanging in there with Chicago. Hey - whatever helps you sleep at night, man. It seems like you're the one creating additional accounts, though, "Hey Orzo".

Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Orzo View Post
IDGAF about SF and Chicago. Your pathetic for having 30 accounts you ghost voting hack. Don't have a job?
I'd say the fact that you've created a fake account just to harass other users means you do "GAF". Also, it's "you're", not "your". Anyway, I'm done responding so as not to further hijack this thread. But feel free to keep acting out, making false accusations, and hurling insults if it makes you feel better.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 PM

437 posts, read 629,360 times
How is Chicago winning?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 PM

596 posts, read 821,309 times
Which city has less chain restaurants and chain stores?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,506 times
I believe neither of them (if they are not same person) is a SF / CHI booster so why does this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City