Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most influential black community
Los Angeles 30 50.85%
Miami 7 11.86%
Houston 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,962,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
And dont forget donk chevys or 'hi-risers". And yes i know that kind of look is frowned upon by car purists, but there is no denying that it has spread throughout the US in many low income/working class black neighborhoods. One only needs to look at the east coast ryders dvd. that customized look has reached cities as far as Indianapolis. and also the wick/dread style I see in so many cities among the urban youth circles. I remember seeing that in Miami as far back as the 80's. Miami has had more of an influence on current urban culture than your giving it credit for

Which brings me to my next question in regards to the original thread premise. When it comes to these 3 cities, in what regard are we talking here as far influence is concerned within the black community? Are we referring to the influence they've had on their respective areas? or are we referring to the influence they've had upon the black community in this country as a whole?
Yeah, the donks did start in Miami. The wicks dread style is also a Miami original. But I only see the wick style every now and then outside of Miami.

Last edited by polo89; 04-13-2014 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
I don't see wicks like that outside Miami. Dreads is big here in DC (well was because it's slowly dying down now) but Wicks is something that aint that crazy up here.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,418,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
lol I detected the sarcasm. Im also black as well. And again im fully aware of the negative stigma attached to a car that looks like that. However all i was objectively saying was that car look has reached areas way beyond its origins (Miami). Which is true. Yes it used to be exclusive to the down south area but not anymore you can see this in places such as:

Oakland

1988 Chevrolet Caprice Classic "TONKA 26" Donk Custom Paint / Interior 26's, 6 TV's... Oakland, Ca. - YouTube

Chicago

Chicago donk caddy on 30s - YouTube

Phoenix

LIFTED CHEVY CAPRICE DONK - YouTube

Providence, RI

King Black box Chevy caprice on 26s in Providence Rhode Island - YouTube
I know about east coast Ryder's but I'm not sure where it started. Usually when I hear influence I think it's for the positive blacks who don't find interest in the stereotypical culture.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:56 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,991,337 times
Well LA has had a black mayor. Not sure about the other two. And the popularity of LA's black culture far exceeds that of the other two. I remember that Teach me how to Dougie song that the dance came from Texas but no one cared until it hit LA. In terms of popularity of black culture LA is probably third behind NYC and ATL. But it used to be second so it's dropping.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,842 times
The dougie was already a hit from Dallas and was already big in the nation and on television 106 and Park.
I can remember Chris Brown and Beyonce doing the dougie from the Dallas version before the it was stole by California oops did I say that my bad

Old 04-13-2014, 09:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,261 times
La for better or worse

Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 AM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Well LA has had a black mayor. Not sure about the other two. And the popularity of LA's black culture far exceeds that of the other two. I remember that Teach me how to Dougie song that the dance came from Texas but no one cared until it hit LA. In terms of popularity of black culture LA is probably third behind NYC and ATL. But it used to be second so it's dropping.
Houston had a black mayor about 15 years ago. Dougie dance was Dallas and I do not agree with you that nobody cared until Cali swag district did the song.lil will song was just as big if not bigger.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:57 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,105,419 times
Lil Will and Cali Swag District both had hits with "Dougie." Lil Will's was first and definitely known in the AA community but I think Cali Swag District's opened it up to a broader audience. Notice the view counts for the main video for each version on youtube. Lil Will's has 7+ Million views and Cali Swag District has over 22 million. I think Lil Will's version was more popular in the south though. I know it was here in Middle Georgia.

I've never saw Wicks outside of Florida. I just saw video of a dude in Tallahassee showing his off, so it might have spilled over into some bordering south GA towns like Valdosta and Thomasville. It's definitely not in Macon or Middle Georgia though.

As for which one of these cities has more influence in the black community, L.A. easily.

Everything said about Miami and donk cars is true, but as unfortunate and negative as it is, I cant think of anything in Houston or Miami that's been as influential as Los Angeles Crips and Bloods gang culture. That's felt nearly everywhere.

My first roommate in college is from THE least populated county in Alabama (also one of the nation's highest in % of population being AAs; Greene County, Alabama) and there are copycat "Bloods" out in trailer parks there.

The lower income neighborhoods on the Westside of my city, Macon, is almost completely stuck in time as a replica 90s Compton. They even had MC Eiht from the legendary "hood" movie Menace II Society out here not too long ago.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 AM

320 posts, read 578,865 times
I think Oakland has more of a black historical role in black culture. The Black Panthers influenced blacks across the country to fight back during that time. LA had the Watts riots and then the 1992 riots. LA black culture has influenced blacks nationwide to gang bang. That's what they're known for.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM

515 posts, read 1,060,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Miami has black Americans but I'm sure the black Caribbean community especially Haitians have more influence on the city then black Americans.

Idk i vote LA.
Yes in Miami, the dominant Latino presence pretty much drowns them out same with LA today. I would go with Houston.

Last edited by Melchior6; 04-14-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City