Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most influential black community
Los Angeles 30 50.85%
Miami 7 11.86%
Houston 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
There is absolutely nothing affluent about the Haitian community in Miami. The Little Haiti neighborhood in Miami looks like a 3rd world country.

Affluent neighborhoods in Miami are overwhelmingly Jewish, Italian, WASP, South American, and Cuban.
There are some affluent Haitian-American communities in Southwest Miami-Dade County, filled with Light-skinned, Mulatto Haitians. Especially around Kendall. Little Haiti isn't the only Haitian neighborhood in Miami. As more Haitians flood South Florida, Little Haiti becomes less and less of the de-facto Haitian neighborhood. There's over half a million Haitians living in the South Florida tri-county area, Little Haiti probably doesn't even account for 1% of all Haitians living in South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
There is absolutely nothing affluent about the Haitian community in Miami. The Little Haiti neighborhood in Miami looks like a 3rd world country.

Affluent neighborhoods in Miami are overwhelmingly Jewish, Italian, WASP, South American, and Cuban.
This thread isn't about affluent. Also you sound rather ignorant just because of the simple fact that most Haitians do not live in little Haiti. Top it off with the fact that not only Haitians live in little Haiti to begin with.

Haitians are in Florida are rapidly heading towards middle class and little Haiti is becoming less Haitian because of it

I have a Haitian friend here in New York City who is from Miami. Both parents are high paying nurses and she lives no where near little haiti.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:12 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
I don't think the black community has much influence in Houston. Quanell X and Sheila Jackson Lee try to jump in front of every camera that they can but they tend to annoy more people rather than influence them. Our poorest communities tend to be the black and hispanic communities. I can't think of any black communities in Houston that are prospering.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't think the black community has much influence in Houston. Quanell X and Sheila Jackson Lee try to jump in front of every camera that they can but they tend to annoy more people rather than influence them. Our poorest communities tend to be the black and hispanic communities. I can't think of any black communities in Houston that are prospering.
Seriously? None? And Quanell X is just one of many Black political leaders. I don't think he should be used as the barometer for Black leadership, anymore than some random White Supremacist/Nazi party member should be used to showcase White leadership in Houston. But, Quanell X does, at times, speak the TRUTH. Either way, Beyonce(a native Black Houstonian) has had a rather large influence on pop-culture within the least 15yrs. Also, the Rap Group, The Geto Boys, have had one of the largest influences on Hip-Hop Music.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I know three off the top of my head, easily.

Lake Olympia, Quail Valley, and Sienna Plantation. Missouri City east of Murphy Road in general.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Isn't Riverside Terrace another one or am I mistaken?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
1.LA
2.Houston
3.Miami

I can't really think of anything that's come out of Miami that has had a huge influence on the US Black community at large. The only thing I can think of is Miami Bass/Southern Hip-Hop. Outside of that, I guess Miam has produced many Black NFL players. The University of Miami historically, has had some of the Blackes College Football Rosters. They recruit the hoods in South Florida.
Gold Teeth came out of Miami!

Old 04-13-2014, 04:08 PM

122 posts, read 181,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
1.LA
2.Houston
3.Miami

I can't really think of anything that's come out of Miami that has had a huge influence on the US Black community at large. The only thing I can think of is Miami Bass/Southern Hip-Hop. Outside of that, I guess Miam has produced many Black NFL players. The University of Miami historically, has had some of the Blackes College Football Rosters. They recruit the hoods in South Florida.

And dont forget donk chevys or 'hi-risers". And yes i know that kind of look is frowned upon by car purists, but there is no denying that it has spread throughout the US in many low income/working class black neighborhoods. One only needs to look at the east coast ryders dvd. that customized look has reached cities as far as Indianapolis. and also the wick/dread style I see in so many cities among the urban youth circles. I remember seeing that in Miami as far back as the 80's. Miami has had more of an influence on current urban culture than your giving it credit for

Which brings me to my next question in regards to the original thread premise. When it comes to these 3 cities, in what regard are we talking here as far influence is concerned within the black community? Are we referring to the influence they've had on their respective areas? or are we referring to the influence they've had upon the black community in this country as a whole?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:16 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
And dont forget donk chevys or 'hi-risers". And yes i know that kind of look is frowned upon by car purists, but there is no denying that it has spread throughout the US in many low income/working class black neighborhoods. One only needs to look at the east coast ryders dvd. that customized look has reached cities as far as Indianapolis. and also the wick/dread style I see in so many cities among the urban youth circles. I remember seeing that in Miami as far back as the 80's. Miami has had more of an influence on current urban culture than your giving it credit for

Which brings me to my next question in regards to the original thread premise. When it comes to these 3 cities, in what regard are we talking here as far influence is concerned within the black community? Are we referring to the influence they've had on their respective areas? or are we referring to the influence they've had upon the black community in this country as a whole?
Across the USA? That's mostly a down south/Midwest thing and there is nothing influential about that other then making black people look stereotypical.

Black man - spending thousands and thousands on car parts while living with his momma or living in a low income community with no real money and probably no real credit.

^^that was sarcasm. I'm black myself.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:36 PM

122 posts, read 181,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Across the USA? That's mostly a down south/Midwest thing and there is nothing influential about that other then making black people look stereotypical.

Black man - spending thousands and thousands on car parts while living with his momma or living in a low income community with no real money and probably no real credit.

^^that was sarcasm. I'm black myself.

lol I detected the sarcasm. Im also black as well. And again im fully aware of the negative stigma attached to a car that looks like that. However all i was objectively saying was that car look has reached areas way beyond its origins (Miami). Which is true. Yes it used to be exclusive to the down south area but not anymore you can see this in places such as:

Oakland

1988 Chevrolet Caprice Classic "TONKA 26" Donk Custom Paint / Interior 26's, 6 TV's... Oakland, Ca. - YouTube

Chicago

Chicago donk caddy on 30s - YouTube

Phoenix

LIFTED CHEVY CAPRICE DONK - YouTube

Providence, RI

King Black box Chevy caprice on 26s in Providence Rhode Island - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City