Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 PM

596 posts, read 820,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
I've done that move and have an opinion or two. As a disclaimer, I lived in a fairly nice part of LA (Palos Verdes), still have a house there, and go back to LA about every other weekend, so I spend a lot of time in both.

Bottom line, LA is one of the most desirable places in the world to live in - if you can afford to live well there. If you are not in the top 5% of income earners in America or did not buy a house before 1990, you probably have a moderately compromised standard of living there. Perfect weather, stunning geography and all the trappings of the world's third richest city (behind NYC and Tokyo) simply cannot be replicated anywhere else. It is also the reason why about 20 million people call the greater LA basin and surrounding counties home, making "paradise" almost incomprehensibly dense and somewhat unsustainable. I can completely understand why people leave - it is almost an issue of survival.

Houston is NOT Los Angeles. Aside from some very facile observations declaring otherwise, Houston is a distinct town in its own way, and quite unlike other cities in Texas or the South. Yes, it does have a similar extent of diversity and recent immigrants, and like Los Angeles, it is part of the normal fabric of life here. It is not nearly as densely populated; in Los Angeles, your experience very much depends on where you live, whereas Houston is far more homogeneous. The lack of zoning is something you get used to but is still odd. Unless you like swamps and sweltering subtropical forests, the natural beauty is far, far less, although it is never cold. Do not expect to hike or go to the beach.

I really do not like making stupid generalizations about 20 million people in LA, and those who do probably have spent 1000x more time watching TV shows about LA rather than actually living there. It would be unfair of me to do the same to Houston, but I will say that people here are not systemically rude or phony. It's a bit of a boomtown, and people in Houston are busy. I get a sense that people wear their affluence a bit less on their sleeves than some other places, but that is just an impression.

Houston is also probably the best big-city economy in the country right now; it is one of the few places in America you could move to on a whim and "be alright" without a firm job lined up. The energy industry (oil and gas) permeates the culture here, and it is a distinct blend of Texans, engineers, and international professionals doing work. Overall, the average person here makes more than the average Angeleno and has to spend less of it - for better or worse. This place is hot - if you work hard and take some risks, you can practically pick money up off the floor. I really cannot think of another city in America quite like Houston at the moment from an economic standpoint.

I like Houston - it is a real city and not some phony sunbelt facade of a city. The food is good, there are a surprising amount of cultural and nightlife options, lots of smart and accomplished people, and hard-working people can live well here. You are very close to the Caribbean and Mexico, making for nice weekend trips. I came here for professional reasons, but I am quite happy. I'd only recommend moving for similar reasons.
If the economy is so good there the OP should move there, make herself a lot of money, save and then move back to Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Texans always try to make Houston, Dallas, et al. seem superior to and more desirable than LA--it's quite comical, actually.

Compared to LA, Houston is pancake-flat, extremely humid, oppressively hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, very redneck, and very Evangelical. Its beaches are ugly beaches, and it rains every other day in addition to contending with tornadoes and hurricanes for most of the year. Camouflage, antlers, crosses, ball sacks on trucks, smoking, fried and fast-food, etc. are all the rage. There's nothing fun or interesting in reasonable driving distance--Galveston is gross, San Antonio is a snooze-fest, and don't even get me started on Louisiana. No gambling in Houston either.

Please, spare me.
I would refute this post, but judging from your handle, it seems like you can only operate on a 8 to 32 bit level, and thus, wont be able to comprehend much.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I would refute this post, but judging from your handle, it seems like you can only operate on a 8 to 32 bit level, and thus, wont be able to comprehend much.
Haha that's a funny summary. I asked my dad who visited my sister in HOU for a few days -- what do you like better, LA or Houston? He said hands down LA (but he said don't tell my sister.) This is coming from a guy who lives in Hoboken, NJ.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:58 AM

149 posts, read 232,066 times
In my humble opinion, it comes down to what you value you in a city.

People who argue back and forth about what city is better don't realize that the reason why there has been so many posts, and so many repeat threads comparing certain cities, is because we're all just debating preferences...

....and that you can't do.

For instance, I hear people say LA is the best city because it has the best weather, beaches, etc...

...but what about someone like myself who doesn't care at all about beaches, and while I appreciate it, am not hung up over weather?

I care infinitely more about the actual city than I do the climate.

There are people, on the other hand, who can't enjoy a city unless the weather is 'perfect' and has beaches.

If that's the case, what is the point of those two people debating about which city is better?

As for LA vs HOU, I've been to both a number of times, and frankly, LA wins out. Not caring at all about beaches and the outdoors, but being an obsessed maniac about live music, and just general in-doorsy things to do - Houston, while not boring by any stretch, just can't compete.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Houston is nowhere near as cosmopolitan, international, or cultured as LA. Worse beaches and scenery, weather is not to most people's liking. That said, it is cheaper, a bit more diverse, very green and warm for most of the year, more rainy, good food. The beaches nearby have warm water in summer, compared to the chillyness of the waters around LA. I think your biggest challenge will be keeping yourself from getting bored there after a few months, and managing the sultry summers and the winters, which while mild, are cooler than LA's winters.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Houston is nowhere near as cosmopolitan, international, or cultured as LA. Worse beaches and scenery, weather is not to most people's liking. That said, it is cheaper, a bit more diverse, very green and warm for most of the year, more rainy, good food. The beaches nearby have warm water in summer, compared to the chillyness of the waters around LA. I think your biggest challenge will be keeping yourself from getting bored there after a few months, and managing the sultry summers and the winters, which while mild, are cooler than LA's winters.
Wait, Houston more diverse than LA? Que?

Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
No, LA more diverse than Houston. Houston is still diverse though. Sorry, made a mistake there. Meant to say "more diverse than people think".

Old 05-14-2014, 10:29 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Houston is still trying to find itself. (Which is not a bad thing) While I do agree, LA is above Houston in a lot of aspects. Houston does pretty good in being itself.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 PM

112 posts, read 136,107 times
Houston is doing extremely well, but part of that success is also due to lack of zoning I'm assuming.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Houston is doing extremely well, but part of that success is also due to lack of zoning I'm assuming.
Wrong

Dallas has zoning. Houston would be doing just as well as it is now, maybe even better if it had zoning.

The whole no zoning thing is over elaborated IMO. There are informal measures of zoning in Houston called deed restrictions & HOA's. Why do you think the Ashby High Rise is having such a tough time getting approved all these years?

http://swamplot.com/tag/ashby-highrise/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: