Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city (or suburbs)?
Houston 36 33.03%
Dallas 73 66.97%
San Antonio 17 15.60%
Austin 42 38.53%
Corpus Christi 5 4.59%
Brownsville 2 1.83%
Other 10 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Austin is probably the best city for non-Texans, but FAIAP, it's still Texas.
The hell's that supposed to mean?

I can find SEVERAL flaws in any state you can think of. The most backwards and narrow-minded place I've ever experienced is central New York. A blue state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The hell's that supposed to mean?

I can find SEVERAL flaws in any state you can think of. The most backwards and narrow-minded place I've ever experienced is central New York. A blue state.
You don't have to argue with me on that one. I've been flamed on this forum for insinuating that the Northeast is one of the most insular, narrow-minded places in the entire country, especially in the smaller cities such as Providence (where I grew up), Hartford, Springfield, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, et al.

Regarding my comment about Texas, I found most of the state to be a very difficult place to live as a non-Texan and non-Southerner. For me personally, most of the DFW area where I lived for a year in the recent past, was just too backwards. Even though people say DFW is where a bunch of Californians/East Coasters go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. DFW, especially in suburban and exurban areas, is very Southern. There's still too much "Bubba talk" and too many "Bible thumpers" for me to like it there. I also didn't find people in DFW to be nearly as friendly as they were purported to be.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 04-26-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
You don't have to argue with me on that one. I've been flamed on this forum for insinuating that the Northeast is one of the most insular, narrow-minded places in the entire country, especially in the smaller cities such as Providence (where I grew up), Hartford, Springfield, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, et al.

Regarding my comment about Texas, I found most of the state to be a very difficult place to live as a non-Texan and non-Southerner. For me personally, most of the DFW area where I lived for a year in the recent past, was just too backwards. Even though people say DFW is where a bunch of Californians/East Coasters go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. DFW, especially in suburban and exurban areas, is very Southern. There's still too much "Bubba talk" and too many "Bible thumpers" for me to like it there. I also didn't find people in DFW to be nearly as friendly as they were purported to be.
All you did was replace Atlanta with DFW and said the same thing you said about Atlanta. You need to stop acting like Florida is this perfect state. Without it's beaches, it would be nothing.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:44 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Nowhere.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
All you did was replace Atlanta with DFW and said the same thing you said about Atlanta. You need to stop acting like Florida is this perfect state. Without it's beaches, it would be nothing.
Huh? I hate Florida.

Clearly, you haven't read many of my posts.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:35 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:

Yeah... you haven't been to DFW.

But just to note: as far as people's friendliness and attitude towards other people goes, you get back what you put out.
Just keep that in mind.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
I'm not seeing Austin's edge when it comes to education. UT may be the most popular school in the state, but since when does that mean it can trump Rice, UH, and two of the largest HBCUs in the nation put together? You also can't forget the numerous other private and medical research institutions in this city. Texas Medical Center isn't just a big block of hospitals, folks.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Scenery: San Antonio Hill Country-Austin-Houston, Dallas.
Lifestyle: San Antonio most colorful unique most festivals and the biggest festivals, Austin, Houston, Dallas.
People: All Texas
Transportation: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin.
Weather: Its Texas
Sports: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio Major league Sports. Austin with the new raceway.
Education: They all have universities. Most college students in order, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin. San Antonio also has the biggest percentage increase in the nation for the number of college educated.
Economy: No order. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin. All Texas is strong.
Location: San Antonio is unique sits on three terrains, The Hill country, Plains, Prairies and lakes.
Most visited: Houston and San Antonio, followed by Dallas and Austin.
Downtown- San Antonio, Austin tie ,Ft.Worth, Dallas, Houston.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It certainly seems that he now is growing a vendetta against the state lately for some reason.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Nowhere.
I don't understand why people would take the time and obsess over places they supposedly hate. But it's nothing new from you, Brent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City