Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city (or suburbs)?
Houston 36 33.03%
Dallas 73 66.97%
San Antonio 17 15.60%
Austin 42 38.53%
Corpus Christi 5 4.59%
Brownsville 2 1.83%
Other 10 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has deeper roots in Hip Hop than Atlanta does.

The Geto Boys were arguably the first underground Southern Rap group to make it big & put the South on the map in the mid to late 80's. They were the South's & Houston's answer to N.W.A. out of Compton, Ca.

Then came Outkast in the early 90's out of ATL.

Then came Lil Keke, DJ Screw, & Fat Pat out of Houston in the mid 90's.

Atlanta still jocks Houston's screwed style. Ludacris reps Houston all the time.
No. Atlanta has its own style now. And I did not say that Houston or Atlanta has deeper roots. What I said was the hip hop from the two cities is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
It's less that you're getting labeled as "Dallas" and more that people know certain cities throughout the U.S. So if you say you're from Ft Worth, they're gonna place it by thinking of Dallas. St. Paul has the same issue with Minneapolis in MSP. Ft. Lauderdale in Miami, though not as much. San Jose in the Bay Area. Dallas has more media coverage, more national recognition, more business recognition, etc. People are going to know Dallas before Ft. Worth. I've asked people in Atlanta and Florida if they knew of Ft. Worth; maybe half of them said yes. Everybody and their mother knows Dallas. The TV show, the Cowboys, oil...more people probably know of Dallas than Houston just because of the coverage. Unfortunately for Ft Worth, it grew into a very respectable city that's getting overshadowed by the city to the east. Getting a couple of pro sports teams and a specific industry could help.
You think I don't know all that?

That's exactly why every single time it happens, I tell people exactly what I've posted. That's why I make sure that if anyone who is around ME says that, I make it known that we're not part of Dallas. I'd rather blow my brains out than claim otherwise...

And just to clarify something, before then 70's, there was NO "DFW Metroplex". It was just the Dallas area and the Fort Worth area. When both metro areas grew into each other after the airport was built, that's when Fort Worth's identity became less significant as far as the rest of the country knew.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:10 PM

202 posts, read 319,938 times
Quote:

The Geto Boys were arguably the first underground Southern Rap group to make it big & put the South on the map in the mid to late 80's. They were the South's & Houston's answer to N.W.A. out of Compton, Ca.

Atlanta still jocks Houston's screwed style. Ludacris reps Houston all the time.
Shut up no he doesn't

Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
Shut up no he doesn't
Ludacris - "Screwed Up"

If that's not reppin' Houston I don't know what is.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

When it comes to hip hop, you prove time after time that you don't know what you talking about. ASAP Rocky basically made a Houston based song to. But he is from Harlem. It is called honoring what influences you. Doesn't mean that they rep the city. Also, Atlanta does NOT jock Houston screw music. They don't even listen to it in Atlanta like that. If anything Atlanta simply borrowed Memphis in the early 2000s and Miami in the 90s

Old 04-26-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
You're the pot calling the kettle black.
When do I constantly go to other forums and threads speaking about cities I don't like?. Let me know. Humor me.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Those two are absolutely nothing alike. Horrible comparison.

Atlanta is best compared to Houston.
If you saw the previous posts, you could obviously see what I was talking about.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 AM

99 posts, read 176,421 times
Dallas, but El Paso, texas is starting to catch my eye.....it in west texas, and its in the middle of nowhere. Yet its the safest city in Texas....

Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalim123 View Post
Dallas, but El Paso, texas is starting to catch my eye.....it in west texas, and its in the middle of nowhere. Yet its the safest city in Texas....
Isn't that weird, considering the elephant in the room that is Juarez being one of the word's most dangerous cities is a stones throw (or a bullet's range if you will) right across the river? El Paso itself really isn't bad at all as it has great weather, excellent food (awesome Mexican and steak as good as any steakhouse in Fort Worth), very friendly people, decent enough shopping, and a huge military presence. There is a lot of scenic desert and mountain recreation around as well including Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, White Sands, Ruidoso, and the scenic Franklin Mountains right on the edge of town.

Though El Paso is an isolated medium sized city it has the grandiose sized freeways and stack interchanges that one would find in Houston or Dallas. It's downtown has great historic bones, but leaves something to be desired. It is hard to get around the fact that it is probably the most active border city in the country and that neighboring Juarez throws a big stigma into the overall psyche of the place.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-27-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM

202 posts, read 319,938 times
Quote:
Ludacris - "Screwed Up"

If that's not reppin' Houston I don't know what is.
Or you know one of the first songs that made him popular back in 2000 "welcome to Atlanta" he has never said I'm from Houston. It's always about Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City