Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh I have no proof darling, its just my opinion based on the ranking not matching up with stats and growth rates, and then to read that the Chicago Council on Global Affairs is involved. Too much conflict of interest for my tastes.

But then, we have our individual thresholds of tolerance as far as corruption is concerned so...
They don't even provide the hard data to look at. You've only provided a few stats on about 3 or 4 of their 26 metrics. That is not proof - you don't even know what data they're using in the first place. You're guessing, and not even building out 100% of their model to begin with. You're basically building out around 15% of it.

How about you contact them and ask them for their hard data? Until then, what you say has almost no bearing other than pure incomplete conjecture. All you're doing is assuming without the use of any hard data that the ranking itself is using.

And again, what the **** is your beef with Chicago? Nobody was even talking about it and all of a sudden you and dispo come in with a fight to pick because you can't possibly believe that it would be rated above SF *gasp*. You've been a level headed poster before but what the hell..?

Honestly, I expect more intelligence out of someone from the bay area.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:24 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Sorry darling, I just get sucked into these little spats.
No worries, Chicago just keeps being the target of amusing... lets call it "attacks" on here for a little while (no, I'm not a Chicagoan and at times I think it serves some of the people, not the region as a whole of course, right for all of the ridiculous superiority BS they shovel on the rest of the Midwest) but some posters on here are so out of touch with reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Chicago boosterism is at an all time high, usually this happens when once firmly held territory starts to become blurry, and status threatened, 18montclair is rightfully showing stats that the Bay area has surpassed Chicago in economic output and diversity.
Speaking of!!!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:40 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They don't even provide the hard data to look at. You've only provided a few stats on about 3 or 4 of their 26 metrics. How about you contact them and ask them for their hard data? Until then, what you say has almost no bearing. All you're doing is assuming without the use of any hard data.

And again, what the **** is your beef with Chicago? Nobody was even talking about it and all of a sudden you and dispo come in with a fight to pick because you can't possibly believe that it would be rated above SF *gasp*. You've been a level headed poster before but what the hell..?

What 18montclair is claiming is not grasping BTW, look at how many lists show Houston ranking so high? Theres is bias in lists, why's that so hard to believe? It's great publicity and its not hard to skew stats to favor a certain cause, its done in government all the time, Hell look at the NYC CSA for proof, you think that wasn't done purposely to dethrone Tokyo from #1?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
They don't even provide the hard data to look at. You've only provided a few stats on about 3 or 4 of their 26 metrics. That is not proof - you don't even know what data they're using in the first place. You're guessing, and not even building out 100% of their model to begin with. You're basically building out around 15% of it.

How about you contact them and ask them for their hard data? Until then, what you say has almost no bearing other than pure incomplete conjecture. All you're doing is assuming without the use of any hard data that the ranking itself is using.

Okay so this is a lot of unnecessary gibberish.

I stand by my assertion whether you like it or not and you can choose to continue pretending to be distraught if you like. I really dont care.

But when a ranking of 'global cities' is created by a consultancy and think tank specifically representing the interests of a certain city that has placed in the top 10 every year even though statistics, growth rate and overall momentum would indicate otherwise, that is suspect to me.

And mind you, AT Kearny and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, which collaborated to author this report, they arent breaking any laws. Its not illegal to use your publication or research to highlight a city, even if its somewhat misleading.

More power to them. Thats what advertisers do all the time:-)

Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
And mind you, AT Kearny and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, which collaborated to author this report, they arent breaking any laws. Its not illegal to use your publication or research to highlight a city, even if its somewhat misleading.
How in the world does this study, in any way, highlight Chicago at #7, which isn't even the #1 or #2 city rated in North America? Chicago isn't even written about in the entire write-up of the index. It's just listed in tables along with every other city. JFC. It's not even close to being highlighted.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
How in the world does this study, in any way, highlight Chicago at #7, which isn't even the #1 or #2 city rated in North America? Chicago isn't even written about in the entire write-up of the index. It's just listed in tables along with every other city. JFC. It's not even close to being highlighted.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did try, but probably couldn't sway any stats in Chicago's favor for #1 or #2.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Ok thanks.

I stand by my assertion nonetheless because no words are needed in rankings, the placement implies it all. Good for AT Kearny and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs which authored this ranking.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
LOL. This is too funny.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they did try, but probably couldn't sway any stats in Chicago's favor for #1 or #2.
You have a long way to go historically speaking, but recently you are one of the most ridiculous posters on here...

Old 05-01-2014, 03:20 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Look at the clowns who authored that report.

Quote:
Peterson, 53, was most recently senior vice president at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), a Washington-based bipartisan, non-profit think tank on foreign policy and national security issues. He also served as director of the CSIS Global Strategy Institute, a research-based unit dedicated to assessing long-range trends. Peterson has held numerous other positions at CSIS since joining the group in 1993. Prior to CSIS he served as director of research at Kissinger Associations, the international consulting firm chaired by former U.S. Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger. Peterson will be based in Washington, D.C.

Peterson has an M.B.A. from the Wharton school at the University of Pennsylvania, an M.A. from the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), and a B.A. from Colby College. He holds the Certificate of Eastern European Studies from the University of Fribourg (Switzerland) and the Certificate in International Legal Studies from The Hague Academy of International Law (The Netherlands).
Maybe this report would have more than a milligram of credibility if it was written by someone with halfway decent credentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City