Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

As for your title of cities being in the shadow of their "core"...

Fort Worth is definitely overshadowed by Dallas, but Dallas is in no way the CORE of DFW. The Metroplex is multipolar and I would think the Twin Cities and SF Bay Area would be the same...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM

465 posts, read 657,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On this forum, the "second cities" in major metros don't tend to get much love. By this I mean the second-largest city in an metropolitan area. Some examples would be Cambridge, MA; Saint Paul, MN; and Arlington, VA (technically not a city, but works for these purposes).

So I have the following questions for people.

1. Which secondary city in an MSA has an identity which is most distinctive from that of the core city, and does not merely come across as a random stretch of suburbia which happens to be incorporated?

2. Are there any secondary cities which actually outshine the core city in the MSA?

3. Although general, feel free to suggest which secondary city is the "best" overall as well.

Arlington, VA is a county not a city. Alexandria, VA might be a better example to use.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM

254 posts, read 401,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
As for your title of cities being in the shadow of their "core"...

Fort Worth is definitely overshadowed by Dallas, but Dallas is in no way the CORE of DFW. The Metroplex is multipolar and I would think the Twin Cities and SF Bay Area would be the same...
Gotta agree with this. Fort Worth is larger than all but fifteen of America's "first cities." The DFW/North Texas area really is it's own beast and is at a minimum a bipolar metro (even if, yes, one of those poles tends to overshadow/over shout the other).

Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
From my observation Fort Worth marches to it's own drumbeat. It feels like a long way from Dallas.

I'll also give a shout out to Fort Lauderdale. I'd be perfectly content spending time on FL beach and or on Las Olas and missing out on Miami just fine.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-30-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
TACOMA, BELLEVUE Are second cities to Seattle

Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
From my observation Fort Worth marches to it's own drumbeat. It feels like a long way from Dallas.

I'll also give a shout out to Fort Lauderdale. I'd be perfectly content spending time on FL beach and or on Las Olas and missing out on Miami just fine.
I have to spread it, but I agree about FL.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 PM

317 posts, read 377,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Good post. I wouldn't want to live in Miami but Fort Lauderdale is quite the desirable place to reside in. Beaches has nothing to do it though.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Long Beach to Los Angeles
Pasadena to Los Angeles
Santa Monica to Los Angeles

(plus a host of smaller little fiefdoms in LA County)
I think LB and Pasadena feel like the most distinct 2nd cities in LA. And of the two Long Beach feels the most like it could be its own standalone city - though both Pas and LB have solid cores with their own suburbs (South Bay + Gateway Cities for Long Beach, West SGV + Eagle Rock / Highland Park for Pasadena).

Santa Monica, Culver City, Weho, BH all sort of just bleed into the fabric of the Westside. Glendale feels and looks a lot like East Hollywood to me.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Would anyone in the Seattle area consider Bellevue Washington to be a good "second city?" I have only spent a limited amount of time in Seattle, so I'm not familiar enough to chime in with my own opinion, but it certainly looks to be a good candidate on paper. Maybe Tacoma is a better choice, but Bellevue is closer.

*edit*
just saw this. Point taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
TACOMA, BELLEVUE Are second cities to Seattle

Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think LB and Pasadena feel like the most distinct 2nd cities in LA. And of the two Long Beach feels the most like it could be its own standalone city - though both Pas and LB have solid cores with their own suburbs (South Bay + Gateway Cities for Long Beach, West SGV + Eagle Rock / Highland Park for Pasadena).

Santa Monica, Culver City, Weho, BH all sort of just bleed into the fabric of the Westside. Glendale feels and looks a lot like East Hollywood to me.
I disagree, are you saying Huntington Park, South Gate, Lynwood, Downey, Torrance, Manhattan beach etc. Feel like burbs of Long Beach? Only cities I would say feel somewhat like suburbs of Long Beach are Lakewood, Compton, Carson, and Cerritos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City