Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
I disagree, are you saying Huntington Park, South Gate, Lynwood, Downey, Torrance, Manhattan beach etc. Feel like burbs of Long Beach? Only cities I would say feel somewhat like suburbs of Long Beach are Lakewood, Compton, Carson, and Cerritos.
That's mostly what I meant by the Gateway Cities / South Bay. Those cities + Compton, Lomita and Paramount. I guess I should have said parts of the Gateway Cities and South Bay because I didn't mean the entire regions.

Gateway Cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Would anyone in the Seattle area consider Bellevue Washington to be a good "second city?" I have only spent a limited amount of time in Seattle, so I'm not familiar enough to chime in with my own opinion, but it certainly looks to be a good candidate on paper. Maybe Tacoma is a better choice, but Bellevue is closer.

*edit*
just saw this. Point taken.
Bellevue feels like a booming suburb that's still growing up, but it feels closer to Seattle than say Tacoma(or Everett) in some ways--both geographically and culturally. It sort of reminds me of a Northern Virginia exurb of DC that's built some density though is still a suburb at heart. As time goes on, Bellevue will grow into it's own identity more--the downtown core is impressive for how quickly it's developed.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
Oakland constantly plays second fiddle to San Francisco.

On my visits to Seattle everyone there I talked to considered the other big city there Tacoma, which was definitely considered not only the second city in the region, but second-rate as well. I've never been to Tacoma ( Is there any reason for a visitor to go?) so this is all hearsay. But from what I've heard Tacoma gets no love from Seattle.

And it may be stretching it a bit, but Baltimore is very much a second city to DC. I knowpeople who work in one city and live in the other, and they say it's not at all uncommon to do so, especially for those working in DC and looking to escape its high housing prices. But Baltimore does get the short end of the stick when the two cities are compared.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:31 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Fort Worth versus Dallas, Oakland versus San Francisco, and Long Beach versus LA are the three that immediately come to mind.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Fort Worth versus Dallas, Oakland versus San Francisco, and Long Beach versus LA are the three that immediately come to mind.
First 2 were the first to come to mind, I can agree with Long Beach but would put that a bit down the list.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:56 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
St. Petersburg to Tampa.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:16 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Oakland constantly plays second fiddle to San Francisco.

On my visits to Seattle everyone there I talked to considered the other big city there Tacoma, which was definitely considered not only the second city in the region, but second-rate as well. I've never been to Tacoma ( Is there any reason for a visitor to go?) so this is all hearsay. But from what I've heard Tacoma gets no love from Seattle.

And it may be stretching it a bit, but Baltimore is very much a second city to DC. I knowpeople who work in one city and live in the other, and they say it's not at all uncommon to do so, especially for those working in DC and looking to escape its high housing prices. But Baltimore does get the short end of the stick when the two cities are compared.
Not the same metro.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
definitely clayton to st. louis. i think DT clayton has as many businesses as DT StL.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
Some that come to mind

St. Paul to Minneapolis
Fort worth to Dallas
St.Petersburg to Tampa
Oakland to San Fransisco

Old 05-01-2014, 05:32 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Hamilton and Oshawa are secondary city centres in the shadow of Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City