Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:01 PM

19 posts, read 33,676 times

Advertisements

Hi CHI-SF-DEN! - Sorry for my delay - thank you so much for responding!
Believe it or not, we are actually moving to Denver in about a month! We visited right after I posted this originally and decided to take the plunge. The final veto was that my husband said he just couldn't do NC - because it would feel to "burby" to him. Anyway - we are doing to give a Denver a go!

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Sounds like you made a great choice. Thanks for coming back to update us. So many people leave us hanging! Enjoy Denver!

Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM

lol - thanks poppydog!

Old 07-02-2014, 04:36 PM

52 posts, read 81,526 times
Awesome news! We welcome you with open arms and feel free to shoot a PM if you have any questions as you are making the transition. Best of luck.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 PM

115 posts, read 323,487 times
A little late to this discussion, but I am a NC native married to a CO native (whom I met in college in Triangle). I lived in Raleigh or Chapel Hill for 10 years or so. Then lived in Colorado for 4. I am now in Edmond, Oklahoma. I don't know what it was about the Triangle, but I got tired of it and wanted more. I didn't really appreciate how family friendly it was because I didn't have children. It seemed kind of burby to me, but after a few winters and hot summers in Colorado, wow, I missed the green and trees. I loved Colorado. I mean, I felt like it was my soul place, but that's if I had a trust fund and job security. I must preface all of my comments by the fact that I lived in Broomfield which is near Boulder, and has a different feel than Denver proper. The Denver Metro is much different than other spots in Colorado. The Denver Metro feels...not sure how to describe it, unstable. There are so many people flocking there for jobs. They lay off people in a minute. I had friends laid off in the legal field while on maternity leave. Insane. It was a noticeable shift from the gentility I saw more in the Triangle (outside of the tech/biotech companies which are based somewhere else). I also had a difficult time meeting people outside of work. People are into the outdoors and themselves more. I don't think it's snobby, it's more just self-focused and respectful of others privacy and more focused on what they want. In general, I thought the economy was tough there. I saw so many people struggling with finances to live there. Living in debt up to their eyeballs. Commuting from Superior to the Tech Center (an 1hr each way at rush hour) because they got laid off and are stuck. There's so much keeping up with the Jones's who have a Prius or Suburu, organic clothes and food, wooden toys for their kids, nannies, and what else. Natives have to live often to find jobs. The housing market is crazy. Outside of Boulder, there are wild fluctuations. It's high now, but it could crash if there is a downturn. Finally, I think that the morals and values are just not what I want for my kids. It makes me so sad, because there is so much to do for an outdoor lover. But as granola as I was and as much money as I made, my NC self was not happy there. Heartbreaking. I am now living in Edmond, OK and absolutely love it. So, go figure. I think my advice on Colorado would be to be conservative about everything financially and have 6 months saved and an exit strategy. If you have paid off a house, then you are good to go probably.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM

thanks coloradocutter- for taking the time to reach out and write your experience(s)! glad you love your new digs!

Old 11-07-2015, 03:35 AM

91 posts, read 140,040 times
Skittlesapril, I've just found this thread and would love to know what your experience is now you've moved to Denver. Any regrets? Or, are you pleased with the decision? We're trying to decide between a potential move to either Denver or Chicago, although we're looking into the suburbs of both.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:58 AM

We love Denver. No regrets but no miss family in the Midwest.

If you're thinking suburbs either way, I think Denver (v Chi) is by far the better option. Here's why

-so much prettier
-much closer to the city
-less traffic to get to the city

-better weather

We have kids so getting around is easier although being in a burb - if you're not going to the city - would probably be = in both cities.

Let me know if you have any specific Q I can answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City