Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM

403 posts, read 929,645 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been in the Triangle for about 8 years now. Love the beauty of the area, and I've seen great changes (and some not so great) in that time. My sister has been living in Chicago with her husband for about that same amount of time. There's a possibility that I may end up in Chicagoland due to a job opportunity.

Other than the obvious that the winters are rougher up there, and that Chicago's a huge metropolis and Raleigh much smaller--what can anyone tell me about their experiences. Just looking for people who have lived in both and how you feel about the two areas relative to one another. Please be honest---no boosters either way!

Outside of the city differences, I could see in a prior visit that Chicagoland was flatter--less scenic. The flip side is that Lake Michigan is beautiful---looks like the ocean.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:47 PM

104 posts, read 377,095 times
I would move there now if I could so I am biased. I think that there are better things to do there, better summers (still hot but less uncomfortable), better schools (even though public schools are pretty notorious there--there are tons of affordable private schools). I love the lake, food, people, personality of the town. Produce is better there and there are great ethnic neighborhoods with their great food.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
I'm scared about what I heard on the news the other day. 32 shootings and 6 resulting in deaths last weekend alone! I know every area has their rough spots, but it seems like places like Chicago and Philadelphia are having a hard time of it lately.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 PM

170 posts, read 1,014,417 times
Chi: too far from ocean and mountains, though their mountains have great snow the terrain (Upper Michigan) is similar to our mountains.
Raleigh: easy drive to either

Chi: Lk Michigan too cold & never felt comfortable swimming in it, so a huge waste of real-estate.

Chi: Summers are great, but way too short

re Food, nightlife, things to do: Well it's a much bigger city so can't really compare.

So, imo the Raleigh weather and access to recreational outdoors beats Shy-town. If you want bigger city activities, we have them -they're just spread out further throughout the Triangle area.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:02 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,041 times
Oh, boy. We moved here from Chicago 4 years ago (career related) and I miss is TERRIBLY. If given the opportunity to go back, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Not that I don't like the Triangle--in fact, I've been pleasantly surprised--but it's not Chicago.

Ignore the crime stats mentioned above. It's a major city--what do you expect? I lived there for 10 years, 3 of them in a pretty sketchy neighborhood, and the worst that ever happened was my car radio was stolen [from a car with no alarm system].

The Triangle does have a wealth of cultural attractions/dining/nightlife, etc... but it can NEVER compare to a city like Chicago. I even miss the winters Seriously. I'd kill for a little snow around here, with a population who doesn't panic when it hits.

If you want specific information, PM me. It's a pretty broad topic, KWIM?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 34,857 times
I just moved from Chicago to Raleigh in January... it has been a huge adjustment. We lived downtown (River North), and what I miss most is having everything I needed so close by. If not in walking distance, anywhere we wanted to go was easily accessible by public transportation, or there was always the option of hopping in a cab to get around. In Raleigh it seems like everything is in a strip mall. Also after visits to the State Farmers Market as well as the Carrboro Farmers Market, I can say I miss Chicago's Green City Market! It has such a great variety of organic and sustainably grown produce. (Although I guess it's still early in the season to make a final judgment on this) I also really miss Chicago's restaurants... so many great choices. And the architecture... Chicago neighborhoods have such great character!

Pros in Raleigh? Well I won't miss the Chicago winter, and it has been nice enjoying spring so early. My husband enjoys the greenways and parks here for biking, as the lakefront in Chicago can be too crowded and it's nice to have the variety. Also I'm originally from VA and have a lot of friends and family on the east coast, so it's nice to be in driving distance from them. I do miss the great airline connections that were available in Chicago though. It was so much easier to plan a last minute ski trip out west than it is here!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,583 times
I miss everything about Chicago, except the winter. This thread may be helpful. Any Former Chicagoans in Chapel Hill

Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,291 times
I grew up 45 mins. outside of Chicago, and lived in various neighborhoods on the North side of the city for nearly a decade after college. I've now lived in NC for 20 years, so I think I have enough experience in both places to compare and contrast.

First off, the Triangle compared to Chicago is apples and oranges. Chicago is a world-class city with all that includes, while the Triangle is more suburban than urban. Raleigh and surrounding areas have come a long way since we first got here, but it is just a much smaller scale and feel than Chicago. Yes, winters are cold in Chicago, but there is so much to do there and the public transportation so extensive, you will not be stuck inside with nowhere to go.Also, not every winter is horrible and I can remember quite a few mild ones with little to no snow... but I happen to like snow as long as it doesn't linger into April!

That said, Spring in NC is absolutely gorgeous and I love that about living here. I prefer summers in Chicago, again just so much to do and it's a bit milder than here in NC. I always lived within a mile of the lakefront, and Lake Michigan is like the ocean and really beautiful especially in the summer with all the boats in the harbors.

When I lived in Chicago I was single and lived alone most of the time, and then for awhile as a young newlywed. As far as crime, there were definitely parts of the city that you knew to steer clear of, especially at night, but that's true of many towns in NC as well. I rarely felt scared in the city, maybe because there were always so many people around. Common sense goes a long way too. Funny thing is, I never once got an obscene phone call all the years I lived alone in Chicago, but within 6 months of living in NC I received one.

Chicago is a city of neighborhoods. You could spend a lifetime in the Chicagoland area and move every few years to a new neighborhood within the city or to one of the suburbs, and get a totally distinct feel in each. I haven't found that great diversity in the Triangle, but it has increased from when we first arrived. Chicago is similar to the Triangle in terms of people being friendly and caring. After all, it's the midwest and people are genuinely nice. If you do go to Chicago, I encourage you to embrace and experience the city and all it has to offer.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,359 times
I never lived in the city but what I miss the most from the Chicago area is PIZZA. :-(

My husband and I just watched the Cubs and the WGN specials on WGN this weekend and it made me really nostalgic for Chicago. I miss the restaurants & museums and just being downtown. Like LB340 said, the architecture is just amazing in Chicago.

I also really miss the different ethnicities and the history of Chicago. The history in this area isn't as dynamic and we (northerners) are really the first major immigrants to the area. Its just kind of weird to me to not have the Irish or Polish neighborhoods/areas.

But--I don't miss the winter for the most part. Getting a decent snow once or twice a year would be great, but I don't miss digging my car out from the plow mounds. Or waking up 1/2 earlier just so I can warm up my car. I've gotten so wimpy after being here 10 years that I thought this winter was really bad--it just stayed too cold for too long.

The people here in Raleigh are friendly and I love that its not bleak and stark in the winter. The skies are a beautiful blue and so many trees and shrubs are evergreen. I love being able to garden all year round and my husband enjoys being able to golf in the winter. He and our visiting family even golfed on X-Mas eve this past year.

Other pros for Raleigh--being close to the ocean and to the mountains. More affordable housing than the Chicago area. Also, if you change jobs in this area you usually aren't *that* far away from home. Up in the Chicago area you could have your commute increase by an hour or more if you change jobs.

Even thought I miss the Chicago area sometimes I wouldn't move back now. I really do enjoy Raleigh. I wish the schools were better but they aren't awful. And I wish more Chicago/midwesterners would move here and open some good pizza places. We've got enough of the greasy, bland NY style pizza. :-)

Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I wish the schools were better but they aren't awful. And I wish more Chicago/midwesterners would move here and open some good pizza places. We've got enough of the greasy, bland NY style pizza. :-)
I couldn't agree more!!!!! Bring in a Gino's or Malnati's or Giordano's. Any kind of Chicago deep dish would be appreciated!!! Luckily I do get my fix when I fly to IL to visit my sister, but it sure would be nice to be able to run right out and pick one up. Great, now my mouth is watering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary