Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most/biggest projects?
Austin 36 55.38%
Nashville 8 12.31%
Charlotte 15 23.08%
Raleigh/Durham 2 3.08%
Salt Lake City 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:32 PM

489 posts, read 911,230 times

Advertisements

Poster of Austin high-rises U/C or proposed....

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...r_2014_may.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 02:55 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
From what I've seen following current development, Austin should easily win this. I think the list mightyyoda posted speaks for itself. I know neither Charlotte, Nashville nor Raleigh have as many major projects currently U/C and on the table. I read the urban development forums for all three from time to time.

If the premise of the poll was "which of these has had more major projects in the last decade," then Charlotte would likely win. But the Queen City appears to be more in the stabilization point of its construction boom compared to Austin, which is simply en fuego right now, and Nashville, which is honestly just now starting to take off and get the sort of major projects cities like Austin and Charlotte have been getting for a while now.

I probably follow Raleigh less than the other two metros in the Southeast. There's plenty of good projects going on there, but there doesn't appear to be as many major ones as the other three in the South. I'm really impressed with some of the stuff I've seen in SLC, but I haven't followed their development as closely.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 PM

489 posts, read 911,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
From what I've seen following current development, Austin should easily win this. I think the list mightyyoda posted speaks for itself. I know neither Charlotte, Nashville nor Raleigh have as many major projects currently U/C and on the table. I read the urban development forums for all three from time to time.

If the premise of the poll was "which of these has had more major projects in the last decade," then Charlotte would likely win. But the Queen City appears to be more in the stabilization point of its construction boom compared to Austin, which is simply en fuego right now, and Nashville, which is honestly just now starting to take off and get the sort of major projects cities like Austin and Charlotte have been getting for a while now.

I probably follow Raleigh less than the other two metros in the Southeast. There's plenty of good projects going on there, but there doesn't appear to be as many major ones as the other three in the South. I'm really impressed with some of the stuff I've seen in SLC, but I haven't followed their development as closely.
Not really true right now. It's starting to take off with several huge one's announced within the past couple of months (infrastructure/high-rises/mixed-developments), with more to come within the next couple of years. Like every where else, Charlotte slowed down immensely during the recession, but since 2012, it's been building momentum like a locomotive.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:24 PM

365 posts, read 499,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Good list. I saw that on Austin's UP page last week. There's a semi-interactive Google map for Charlotte projects, but it hasn't been updated in a long time, and a few things were actually deleted for no apparent reason.

Here's a website for one of the new tower's coming to Charlotte: Tryon Place - Shaping Charlotte?s Future // Preleasing Now
Neat

Old 05-31-2014, 06:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
This has become a popularity contest. Charlotte has quite a few projects going on. Many of which are not confined to Uptown. The poll should be closer. But, in time people will see for themselves. That is not to take anything away from Austin, it is obviously growing faster than Charlotte as far as city limits go. And while Austin is a great IT hotspot Charlotte is quite a hub for financial services, as well as auto-related manufacturing, and energy. It is definitely good to have HQs in your city but also having a base of operations is great too. Such as Areva, Siemens, and Babcock and Wilcox.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
This has become a popularity contest. Charlotte has quite a few projects going on. Many of which are not confined to Uptown. The poll should be closer. But, in time people will see for themselves. That is not to take anything away from Austin, it is obviously growing faster than Charlotte as far as city limits go. And while Austin is a great IT hotspot Charlotte is quite a hub for financial services, as well as auto-related manufacturing, and energy. It is definitely good to have HQs in your city but also having a base of operations is great too. Such as Areva, Siemens, and Babcock and Wilcox.
They are all popularity contests.
One can quickly tell if it's worth even participating in some of the threads in a meaningful way or if it's actually a waste of one's time.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:40 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times
Considering the location of those compalining its hard to say there isn't a bias coming from y'all either right? Because you've been to all these cities to see what's going on? So obviously there will be some bias but I think its pretty clear Austin is the leading the growth category overall any way you slice it. Downtown, burbs, economy, population growth, construction, and so on...I mean numbers don't lie.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Considering the location of those compalining its hard to say there isn't a bias coming from y'all either right? Because you've been to all these cities to see what's going on? So obviously there will be some bias but I think its pretty clear Austin is the leading the growth category overall any way you slice it. Downtown, burbs, economy, population growth, construction, and so on...I mean numbers don't lie.
I mean, seriously.....all these areas are growing madly.
Is Austin growing faster? Yes. Do we need a poll to confirm that? I don't think so.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Which numbers? Population or GDP and total personal income? I just want to know which numbers your referring to.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:23 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times
Economy...population growth..you know the important things that lead to construction growth...which speaking of its hard yo turn down a street and not see construction around here. The downtown area is literally a crane city. It is whatit is. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I just said those complaining are from north Carolina according to their location so that's why their complaining because its loosing this poll...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City