Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Using the whole 'You don't need a car in Chicago so that makes it more affordable' will never be a plus on my list. I wouldn't live anywhere that my car doesn't have a cozy spot to park in.

By all means...stay away, no one in Chicago will miss you, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:17 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why the hell is Atlanta struggling to grow? 4k increase only? Really? Are that many blacks leaving the city?
According to thie Atlanta's population shold be around 450,000 up from 422,000 in 2010.
Im confused.I tend to believe the census got it wrong.Just driving around the city with all the apartnent and housing construction,it evident that more than 4,000 people have moved into the city.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
According to thie Atlanta's population shold be around 450,000 up from 422,000 in 2010.
Im confused.I tend to believe the census got it wrong.Just driving around the city with all the apartnent and housing construction,it evident that more than 4,000 people have moved into the city.
Yes, but construction doesn't mean that every single one of those units are taken. Some construction is prospective - they may expect that, but it doesn't mean at that particular moment in time that they are full of people.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:39 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
By all means...stay away, no one in Chicago will miss you, trust me.
Oh I will. After my last visit there in June of 2009 and it was 45 degrees outside I have little desire to return. lol.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 PM

573 posts, read 1,049,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazG View Post
Why so anxious? Do you not like Chicago? Just curious
The crime is high people are leaving even black people. I guess that would be called black flight. High unemployment, high crime. Houston has its own vibe and isn't trying to copy another city. Chicago will always try to be NYC and fall way short. NYC has 8.4 million people in 300 square miles.. The entire chicago metro area needs 9000 square miles to reach 8.4 million. No comparison at all.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:53 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why the hell is Atlanta struggling to grow? 4k increase only? Really? Are that many blacks leaving the city?
The job market here is tough. I can attest to that much.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
The crime is high people are leaving even black people. I guess that would be called black flight. High unemployment, high crime. Houston has its own vibe and isn't trying to copy another city. Chicago will always try to be NYC and fall way short. NYC has 8.4 million people in 300 square miles.. The entire chicago metro area needs 9000 square miles to reach 8.4 million. No comparison at all.
Come on now.You re just being ridiculous.Chicago is nothing like NYC no more than Toronto,LA.Boston or any other big city you can think of.

Houston is more like many cities (including my beloved Atlanta) than Chicago is like NYC..
Even the layout and culture of Chicago is different.

Chicago built by immigrants like the Polish,Germans,French, and Italians.NYC built by Irish,Italian,Duch ,English.They are both American cities that share similarities but both very different.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
The crime is high
Yes, in some areas. I don't know how many times it has to be stated on this site that most of the crime happens in very select neighborhoods mainly away from any good ones. 75-80% of the homicides occur in neighborhoods where only 30-35% of the population of the city lives and most of these areas are away from any normal area of town. So, saying that everywhere has high crime is utterly and completely false. Only some areas do, and unless you're in the lower class with ties to that particular area for some reason already and/or in gang/drug culture, there's no reason to ever live there. There are low cost areas of town that are safe, and most of the city is safe. If you'd like to see the breakdown by neighborhood, i'd be happy to show you this. Parts of the city where 2.1 million live has a lower homicide rate than Houston for nearly the same population, FYI. The north and northwest side of the city, for over 1 million people, has a homicide rate that is around the same as Seattle and Austin on average for the last 8 years.

Furthermore, crime is steadily decreasing just like it is in most other cities. But if you don't believe me, you can read the research done by a Yale professor on it saying that 2013 had the lowest crime rate in the city since the early 1970s. Oh, and the homicide rates are half of what they were in the 90s:

http://images.politico.com/global/20...ngpaper023.pdf

Quote:
people are leaving even black people.
I don't understand why you have to qualify it with "even black people." There's also many people coming into the city. Perhaps the net is less, but there's still many people coming in. The industry of Chicago is shifting. 20-30+ years ago there were more manufacturing types of factory jobs - you could move to the city, get a factory job and that was that. You didn't necessarily need a college degree. While those still exist, it's far less. Instead, the population of Chicago is about the same as it was in 1990, except there's about 250,000 more people in the city with Bachelors or higher degrees now than compared to 1990. The industries are changing away from tons of manufacturing and the expansion now has to do with other industries such as business/tech consulting, financial services, etc. So some of that unemployment you see is what I'm describing above and people who worked factory jobs and were all of a sudden out of a job. No college degree, won't settle for certain jobs (when there's many hospitality jobs available in the city all the time) and go unemployed. There's a reason why they're moving south - because these types of jobs that will pay an OK wage are more plentiful down there, just like they were in Chicago 20-30+ years ago. Now the focus is a little different, but to think that you can't find a job especially if you have a decent college degree is laughable. If you have a degree in say...Computer Science, you'd have no trouble finding a job if you're capable of doing work and don't mess up interviews. Even if you didn't, there's tons of jobs available in the hospitality industry and there's always jobs. Hell, go to a club and you'll see a few guys whose sole job it is to mop up alcohol spills. There's always jobs available out there - just depends on what you'll settle for.

Quote:
Chicago will always try to be NYC and fall way short. NYC has 8.4 million people in 300 square miles.. The entire chicago metro area needs 9000 square miles to reach 8.4 million. No comparison at all.
Except if you knew the city, you'd know that most people don't really care about NYC and are doing their own thing. Not many people are "trying" to be NYC or really any other city for that matter.

Sorry, but you haven't a clue.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-23-2014 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, but construction doesn't mean that every single one of those units are taken. Some construction is prospective - they may expect that, but it doesn't mean at that particular moment in time that they are full of people.
I know but the vacancy rate is very low for years now.That is why there is a housing boom in the city.
Its even been reported that Atlanta city proper grew faster than any other city other than New Orleans.

the city is growing faster than the suburbs.It makes no sense.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:00 AM

91 posts, read 104,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Chicago is still freezing cold, expensive, highly taxed, etc. It is a very difficult city to survive in. No one wants to live in a place like that.

The city also had a net loss of whites. Asian and Hispanic groups barely grew if they grew at all.

Apparently, 2.7 million people want to live in a place like that. And it seems that 9.5 million want to live in the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City