Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 AM

14 posts, read 21,026 times

Advertisements

Oh! That just hit me! Well, climate or trends, I would say Colorado City. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 AM

998 posts, read 1,324,850 times
There are no cool "red" cities unless you consider a place like OKC hip. All of the major cities lean to the left. (Well atleast all of the ones people give a damn about.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Houston and Dallas are red metros but the cities themselves are blue.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
Charlotte is a blue city. The surrounding cities may not be but the metro area voted more than 60% democrat last election.
I don't think one or even two elections necessarily make a trend; I think you have to look at long-term, consistent voting patterns. Recent elections may speak to a change in momentum, but it may not be sustained for the long term.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Seems like even most of the "cool" small cities are blue. For the most part "coolness" and "red" seem almost like oxymorons nowadays. However, Anchorage, Alaska seems pretty cool and leans Republican (not just metro - the city itself).

Old 06-02-2014, 09:28 AM

72 posts, read 97,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I don't think one or even two elections necessarily make a trend; I think you have to look at long-term, consistent voting patterns. Recent elections may speak to a change in momentum, but it may not be sustained for the long term.
You beat me to it. Unless the city has a long-term trend of voting a certain way, you can't really label them as red or blue. So using election results from the last election is not useful in determining red from blue.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Out of the largest cities in the country, Dallas is the most conservative of the bunch but it's not exactly red.
I would argue that San Antonio is the most conservative. For second place, Dallas, Phoenix, and Houston duke it out.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 06-02-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Seems like even most of the "cool" small cities are blue. For the most part "coolness" and "red" seem almost like oxymorons nowadays. However, Anchorage, Alaska seems pretty cool and leans Republican (not just metro - the city itself).
While this is true, it's because Anchorage has huge city limits which take in almost all development in the metro (except for the Mat-Su Valley, which is like a 45 minute drive away). Anchorage also has a huge amount of undeveloped wilderness within the city proper.

There are essentially no hip urban Republican neighborhoods anywhere. You can find a precious few truly urban Republican neighborhoods in some northern cities in some remaining "ethnic white" enclaves and especially Hasidic Jewish neighborhoods, but those aren't hip in the slightest. But on the whole, looking from city to city, the main determinant of how many Republicans there are is how many suburban-style neighborhoods full of white people are within city limits.

Last edited by eschaton; 06-02-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Echoing what others have said, even the most conservative of cities are actually rather moderate. But nonetheless...

Indianapolis would be your best bet in my opinion. It's relatively conservative given that it's a major city, and it's booming in every way. The economy is fantastic, and it has a thriving arts scene. Though Broad Ripple and the Mass Ave. districts are buzzing with nightlife and shopping, I prefer the energy of the Fountain Square neighborhood. Indy also offers high wages and a low cost of living.

My second choice would be Phoenix. Though Arizona is becoming more blue everyday the Phoenix area is a conservative strong hold. Enjoy stellar shopping and dining in Scottsdale or hip nightlife in Tempe.

In terms of smaller cities, Lancaster, Pennsylvania might work well too. Though it's Pennsylvania at it's most conservative, I can't think of any city that does folk art better than Lancaster. Whether you're looking for homemade candles, lavender soap, or hand-carved mandolin, Lancaster is the place to go. The downtown area has an amazing farmers market, trendy wine bars, and hip cafes, all things considered to be "cool." The metro area is home to a half million people.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,608 times
May I suggest DC? Now, I know what you're going to say -- DC is deep blue, they vote for the Democrats every single time, it's the center of big government. But hear me out: The fact that it's the national capital guarantees that there's always a strong and vocal contingent of Republicans. Republicans have the majority in Congress; every one of those Republican congressmen needs a staff, and that's to say nothing of right-leaning lobbyists, non-profit employees, etc. This is the city where the Heritage Foundation is headquartered. In places like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, you're going to be embarrassed to be a Republican. In DC, you may be outnumbered, but you'll never be embarrassed -- you'll find loads of people like you, and even those who disagree with you tend to be respectful out of a sort of professional courtesy. It's an interesting culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City