Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like more overall?
Chicago 77 53.47%
Montréal 67 46.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

Climate: Chicago
Scenery/Architecture: different but Chicago has the edge
Quality of life: Montreal
Safety: Montreal by far
Public transportation: both are good. Chicago has more rapid lines
Shopping: Chicago
Universities: Chicago
Entertainment/Things to see and do: Montreal
Diversity: Chicago
Economy: not sure, maybe Chicago
Culture/Food/History:Montreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 02:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Chicago is probably better in regards to Diversity as well as Language alone (You'll probably be criticized unless you are at least partially fluent in French). Chicago also has plenty of culture and great diverse food options like deep dish pizza, damn its good. I'm sure Chicago has more places you should avoid than Montrael with regards to safety, but as long as you stay in either the downtown area or the North Side, and avoid the west and south sides like the plague, you should be A OK. I'm not sure about Montrael's transportation, but Chicago has probably the best services for transportation out of every city in America, at least in my opinion. The CTA is very competent and runs through the whole city. If you speak English I'd say Chicago.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM

591 posts, read 781,418 times
Chicago wins food culture and history

Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 PM

79 posts, read 111,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Chicago wins food culture and history
What history? Montreal/Quebec is among the oldest in North America starting from 17th Century even before America became independent.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM

676 posts, read 960,577 times
Climate: Chicago
Scenery/Architecture: Close, but I'm in love with Vieux-Montréal (Old Montreal)
Quality of life: Montreal
Safety: Montreal
Public transportation: Montreal, though I've barely used it in Chicago
Shopping: Can't say, though it is good in Montreal.
Universities: Chicago
Entertainment/Things to see and do: Chicago. Montreal is more of a "you gotta live here" city.
Diversity: Chicago. Montreal is pretty diverse, but in a different way (lot's of French-speaking Africans, etc).
Economy: Chicago
Culture/Food/History: Montreal

Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM

9 posts, read 14,874 times
In my opinion overall i like Chicago better than Montreal, and i am Canadian btw...
Location: Montreal has a lot of hills from what i know, and has a lot of trees and scenery (nature) Chicago has the bay front on Lake Michigan

Climate: I like the Chicago "Windy-City" feel, although it's known for the rain i think it really feels good for Chicago with the high skyline and nice downtown wind breeze.

Scenery/Architecture: Chicago for sure has a lot more visually appealing architecture/scenery especially in downtown.

Quality of life: Montreal rates as one of the best in North America, as if you aren't aware, every Canadian has access to Universal Care (free, although we pay taxes), communities are also a lot safer, meaning less gangs, guns, and violence in Montreal...

Safety: Again, less violence in Montreal, although crimes like robbery and stuff like those occur everywhere.

Public transportation: Not sure, i know that Montreal has a great transportation system though and lots of Canadians rely on this which is a good thing (less cars, less carbon released from cars)

Shopping: It is a tie, Chicago has a lot of well known high-class American/European shops in downtown, Montreal is similar, probably a lot of french...

Universities: Not sure....

Entertainment/Things to see and do: They are both amazing cities, Chicago though has a lot more interesting things to see such as the nice bridges in the downtown core with the lovely stream that flows into L.Michigan...

Diversity: Montreal

Economy: Montreal

Culture/Food/History: Chicago has a lot more cultures, variety of restaurants to offer from than Montreal does even though it is a Canadian city and Canada is known for being "Multi-Cultural"

Old 06-14-2014, 11:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onealyako View Post
In my opinion overall i like Chicago better than Montreal, and i am Canadian btw...

Climate: I like the Chicago "Windy-City" feel, although it's known for the rain i think it really feels good for Chicago with the high skyline and nice downtown wind breeze.

Chicago is known for its climate but I don't think people think of rain when they think of Chicago. If anything it's cold and snow.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:58 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Chicago is not the windiest city in the United States: Milton, Massachusetts is. Chicago is not significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Milton is: 15.4 mph (24.8 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h) New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h).

The nickname is most likely not weather related.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Chicago is not the windiest city in the United States: Milton, Massachusetts is. Chicago is not significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Milton is: 15.4 mph (24.8 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h) New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h).

The nickname is most likely not weather related.
The nickname came from boasting local politicians did to land the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. The "Windy City" name was given to Chicago by a New Yorker working at the New York Sun. I don't know why people keep getting this confused.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
There is no consensus of its origin on the interwebs. There are multiple 'theories' and that is one of them, but there is just about a general consensus that it has nothing to do with wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City