Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro's nickname is more popular?
The Metroplex 43 21.61%
The Twin Cities 156 78.39%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I was confused when I first heard it. Still confused on how the name even applies to the area. Nearly every major city is a "metroplex" in the same way that Dallas-Fort Worth is. Either way, it seems like only the locals or Texans are familiar with this nickname.

I am not Texan and I am familiar with it. I disagree with your assessment that nearly every major city is a metroplex. The definition is two core cities of almost equal importance. I can think of maybe a handful of cites that could qualify. Bloated sunbelt suburbs that have gained significant population by default shouldn't count. DFW is a perfect example of it.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I am not Texan and I am familiar with it. I disagree with your assessment that nearly every major city is a metroplex. The definition is two core cities of almost equal importance. I can think of maybe a handful of cites that could qualify. Bloated sunbelt suburbs that have gained significant population by default shouldn't count. DFW is a perfect example of it.
Is Dallas-Fort Worth not really a sunbelt city?

Equal importance? I think Dallas gets an obvious nod in the importance department. By that logic The Twin cities could just as easily and fittingly be called a Metroplex.

I see what you are getting at, and maybe not nearly EVERY major metro could hold the name, but there are a lot. I guess all I'm suggesting is that the name doesn't seem all that unique to Dallas-Fort Worth.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Considering the fact that you've spent so much money and time trying to market this term (I've learned since seeing this thread), I'd say the lack of recognition even in a geographically-educated place like C-D should be very disappointing to locals.
I'm pretty sure that not ALL 6+ million residents here are spending anything on the name...

Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Equal importance? I think Dallas gets an obvious nod in the importance department. By that logic The Twin cities could just as easily and fittingly be called a Metroplex.
So just because Dallas is more popular, Fort Worth doesn't come close to importance?

You know, about 1/3(at least) of those suburbs grew because of FORT WORTH, right? We don't depend on Dallas for anything...

Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So just because Dallas is more popular, Fort Worth doesn't come close to importance?

You know, about 1/3(at least) of those suburbs grew because of FORT WORTH, right? We don't depend on Dallas for anything...
Fort Worth has its own thing going, but Im sorry: Fort Worth is not equally important to Dallas. It just isnt. It has to do with the size, the economy size, and output, not the name recognition.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
I had think for a bit to remmeber what Metroplex refers to. Don't remember hearing it before I was a CD regular.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that not ALL 6+ million residents here are spending anything on the name...
You don't pay taxes? Purchase local items? It's a marketing failure that came out of the region's coffers. If you're not concerned with that, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Fort Worth has its own thing going, but Im sorry: Fort Worth is not equally important to Dallas. It just isnt. It has to do with the size, the economy size, and output, not the name recognition.
I'm not saying it' equal to Dallas, but I'm also saying that it's not some 2nd rate suburb as some people seem to make it out to be. We may not have as much as Dallas, but our city has more importance than most other cities in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You don't pay taxes? Purchase local items? It's a marketing failure that came out of the region's coffers. If you're not concerned with that, I don't know what to tell you.
... what?

I think something got a little lost in translation there. Our area's economy isn't tanking because some of you people have never heard the name "Metroplex" as another name for DFW.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it' equal to Dallas, but I'm also saying that it's not some 2nd rate suburb as some people seem to make it out to be.
But only stupid people think Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas. Why pay them any mind?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it' equal to Dallas, but I'm also saying that it's not some 2nd rate suburb as some people seem to make it out to be. We may not have as much as Dallas, but our city has more importance than most other cities in this country.

... what?

I think something got a little lost in translation there. Our area's economy isn't tanking because some of you people have never heard the name "Metroplex" as another name for DFW.
I wonder how you measure importance? But something tells me Fort Worth would still have a lot of cities in front of it on a list of "important US cities".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City