Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro's nickname is more popular?
The Metroplex 43 21.61%
The Twin Cities 156 78.39%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times

Advertisements

I don't get how people are confused after they learn that the "Metroplex" is a nickname for DFW. What is there to be confused about?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldailment View Post
i wonder how you measure importance? but something tells me fort worth would still have a lot of cities in front of it on a list of "important us cities".
15... maybe 15... MAX.

If we're 80 miles further away where there would be no "DFW" or no "Metroplex", then we're not having this conversation.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
15 max...
You've thought about this a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I don't get how people are confused after they learn that the "Metroplex" is a nickname for DFW. What is there to be confused about?
People are confused to learn of it. It's a not a very well known nickname and it doesn't seem particularly unique to the Dallas-Fort Worth area either. No one is confused after they learn of it.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:37 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
But only stupid people think Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas. Why pay them any mind?
Must be a lot of stupid people...

It's hard to ignore when people constantly say these things, then when I (someone who actually LIVES here) explain to them what FW is, they for some reason continue to call it the opposite of what I told them.

It's almost as if our word doesn't mean anything.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You've thought about this a lot.

People are confused to learn of it. It's a not a very well known nickname and it doesn't seem particularly unique to the Dallas-Fort Worth area either. No one is confused after they learn of it.
The nickname is unique to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, whether it seems like it or not. There are other "metroplexes" but people do not refer to them that way. Most people in this thread aren't very familiar with it, but there are several people who aren't from the DFW area that have admitted knowing the nickname. Anyways, the whole point of creating a nickname like "Metroplex" and "Twin Cities" is to create name recognition. This thread helps both Minneapolis and DFW by spreading the two nicknames to people who were unaware of it previously.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 AM

23 posts, read 32,133 times
Had no idea what the metroplex was until I read this..

Old 07-03-2014, 06:52 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
Metroplex.... wasn't that the villian from that terrible Green Lantern movie?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Exactly. I don't understand his comment at all - I haven't seen a single person say they're confused about the nickname after learning about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The nickname is unique to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, whether it seems like it or not. There are other "metroplexes" but people do not refer to them that way. Most people in this thread aren't very familiar with it, but there are several people who aren't from the DFW area that have admitted knowing the nickname. Anyways, the whole point of creating a nickname like "Metroplex" and "Twin Cities" is to create name recognition. This thread helps both Minneapolis and DFW by spreading the two nicknames to people who were unaware of it previously.
The name was generic upon first usage in the 50s; In the 70s, DFW tried marketing it as a local descriptor. Please refer back to my links some pages back showing the usage and history of the term. I personally (and others on the thread have also confirmed this) have thought of it and used it as a global descriptor, not specifically one describing the DFW area.

Agreed that it was meant to be a marketing term, obviously, and DFW has put money into marketing it for decades. Further, I would call it a failure if the majority of people interested in exactly that sort of thing had not heard it applied specifically to the area before. I call the area "Dallas-Ft Worth" and write it "DFW." I think that works far better than "THE Metroplex." It's like picking your own nickname in high school - that sort of thing is lame and never sticks anyway.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Exactly. I don't understand his comment at all - I haven't seen a single person say they're confused about the nickname after learning about it.

The name was generic upon first usage in the 50s; In the 70s, DFW tried marketing it as a local descriptor. Please refer back to my links some pages back showing the usage and history of the term. I personally (and others on the thread have also confirmed this) have thought of it and used it as a global descriptor, not specifically one describing the DFW area.

Agreed that it was meant to be a marketing term, obviously, and DFW has put money into marketing it for decades. Further, I would call it a failure if the majority of people interested in exactly that sort of thing had not heard it applied specifically to the area before. I call the area "Dallas-Ft Worth" and write it "DFW." I think that works far better than "THE Metroplex." It's like picking your own nickname in high school - that sort of thing is lame and never sticks anyway.
Exactly, and with the Twin Cities, the name was not "picked" or even marketed to start. People just started calling them that, and the name stuck, and has stuck for almost 150 years.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
^ Yup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City