Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs Orlando in 2014. Which one is better?
Charlotte 57 54.29%
Orlando 48 45.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Most of the people moving from NC to FL are FL natives or former FL residents who realized that NC isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Another small handful of people moving from NC to FL are transplants from the Northeast and Great Lakes states who had always wanted to move to FL for warmer weather, sunshine, the beach, etc., but were convinced otherwise to move to NC instead by either family/friends in FL or the media, both of whom probably sold NC as the promised land. These unassuming folks up North fell hook, line, and sinker for the Carolina sales pitch, and skipped moving to FL altogether in favor of NC, et al. When these people arrived in NC, they realized it was nothing like FL--cold, boring, uncomfortably Evangelical, far from the beach, etc.--so they eventually continued on to FL, which is where they should have moved in the first place. I know a number of people who fell into this trap.
Couldn't agree more that FL and NC are very different. The frigid weather and gray winters is what keeps me away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 01:27 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Couldn't agree more that FL and NC are very different. The frigid weather and gray winters is what keeps me away.
NC does have actual winters, but you talk like it's in New England LOL. The winter is still pretty mild comparatively speaking and it has more four-season weather. But if you want sunny and warm all year round, then NC wouldn't be the place for you.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:04 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
I'm more old school, traditional fla cracker. I enjoy to be around folks moving to Charlotte from fla. Have more in common w those folks, as opposed to the ppl moving to Florida. Florida is changing

Old 07-05-2014, 04:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
I also think that this is a great comparison of 2 mid size Southern metros that will become more and more reveling this 21st century. I also think that both are looking to really diversify. Their economies and become so much more than what they have traditionally been known for. Charlotte is a financial capital to a degree of the Southeast but it's economy is so much more than that. The same can be said of Orlando being so much more than tourism.

That being said Charlotte has a larger economy between the two and Orlando wins with more things to do. That being said, that doesn't mean that Charlotte doesn't have a vast array of options for entertainment. But Orlando and Las Vegas are anomalies for metros their size when it comes to entertainment.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 6,569 times
I can't say that I could be an accurate judge of this statement unfortunately due to the fact that I've only been there a handful of times. I would like to say Orlando but that would be a little biased on my behave!

Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
in Orlando, in the next 15-20 yrs... i think spanish will be the majority and it's already where its a minority majority city. i dont see charlotte doing this... since i'm ol skool FL native, i'll take the future of charlotte.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
in Orlando, in the next 15-20 yrs... i think spanish will be the majority and it's already where its a minority majority city. i dont see charlotte doing this... since i'm ol skool FL native, i'll take the future of charlotte.
I learned Spanish and would love to see it take a more prominent role in Florida.

I'm also not arrogant enough to think everybody should speak my native tounge and am completely comfortable with our Latin flair in Florida.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Is this a real post? This is extremely ignorant and borderline racist, I think its very sad that we still have members like this on the City-Data community..

Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
"--it seems like the people who move from FL to NC, whether native or halfback, and *love* it are the ones looking to get away from the Jewish, Italian, Cuban, Haitian, South American, et al. groups in FL. Most of these people seem to be looking for a "white-washed"/megachurch suburban experience,..." 8to32characters, 7/4/2014

This.

And it feels good to not be one of those people.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 AM

370 posts, read 544,033 times
I travel to Orlando quite a bit for work. I like Orlando and tend to get to see the more "livable" side of it as opposed to that of a general tourist. It definitely feels larger than Charlotte. Just driving 408 or I-4 through the city gives you an idea of the immensity of the metro and the impressive growth. I enjoy areas like Winter Park and as a cyclist, find Orlando's cycling scene to be very underrated. It's so flat there and there are quite a bit of bike paths and lanes, even in the burbs like Lake Mary.

I think I still prefer Charlotte because Orlando's summers are just too damn hot for me. But Orlando has WAY more to offer than it's given credit for. And it's winter weather is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City