Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 PM

133 posts, read 236,471 times

Advertisements

It'd be nice to see Jersey City gain more of an identity. I honestly think if neighboring Hoboken was a neighborhood of JC it'd have a grand ole identity but since it's not, JC lacks the nightlife/sense of community Hoboken is known for. I mean if you live in JC and play in Hoboken it's all very convenient regardless, but your average American doesn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:56 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnTheMove View Post
It'd be nice to see Jersey City gain more of an identity. I honestly think if neighboring Hoboken was a neighborhood of JC it'd have a grand ole identity but since it's not, JC lacks the nightlife/sense of community Hoboken is known for. I mean if you live in JC and play in Hoboken it's all very convenient regardless, but your average American doesn't know that.
Jersey does have an Identity, but you're right it is underserved by it. New Jersey cities tend to be hurt by their small footprints. Even then they tend to be some of the densest cities in the country. However I think even if you gave Jersey City 100sq mi and quadrupled it's population, it'd still be across the river from Manhattan and swallowed by Metro NYC which would likely still keep in in the shadows.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Domestic migration is actually the biggest component of growth for the Texas cities; they do well in immigration too, but NYC, LA, Miami, the Bay Area, and DC top that list rather easily. From 2010-2013, DFW gained 127,315 domestic migrants (a 1.97% gain), Houston 116,956 (1.97%), Austin 87,189 (5.05%), and San Antonio 63,391 (2.94%). That's four Texas metros of the top six (Phoenix and Denver are the other two) for metros with 1 million or more persons. Compare that to Detroit's loss of 58,343 (-1.36%) in the same time period and there's just no way this is happening in 15 years.

Special Report: 2013 Metropolitan Area Population Estimates | Newgeography.com
Lol.....yeah....and remember what people were saying about housing prices in 2007? People assumed that housing prices would continue their upward trajectory. Even banks predicted this....and they have economist that should have known better. Next thing you know housing prices crashed and took the economy down with it. whoda thunk?

The moral of the story here is that things are not always evident before they happen. Looking at where Detroit is now is deceptive. The area and state has really gone through radical transformation. Michigan was the face of labor unions.....now its essentially a right to work state. Michigan was one of the highest wage states, now it is one of the lowest wage states. Keep in mind that what made the south so attractive was the absence of strong unions, regulation and cheap labor. That is what many businesses covet to increase their profits. The industrial Midwest became the antithesis of these needs, with Michigan leading the pack, in an increasingly competitive world.

Detroit already has the built up infrastructure and bones for a city of 2 million. The US largest trading partner in the world is Canada (if not China recently). Hence, Detroit is the major entry point of trade between the two nations and a new bridge between Detroit and Canada is in the works (which will create 25,000 jobs by estimate...to be shared between the two nations...of course). There is cheap, open, vacant real estate in the city of Detroit that is primed for high rise high density residential construction. You can create many "Atlantic Station" type developments in Detroit with the available vacant land. There are 10 million people in a 100 mile radius of Detroit and 54 million people in a 300 mile radius. There is plenty of fresh water and recreation in the area.

15 years is a long time......barring national economic collapse or upheaval.....Michigan will have a modest boom.....right now its just off business and people radars as a place to invest or live because of its problems. However, as soon as certain projects start coming into fruition....its going to get the attention of investors and people and the ball will start rolling. Investors and people just need to see the inertia has be broken and they will rush in to take advantage (make or save a buck).

That having been said, I stick by what I have predicted. Yes, I saw that data prior to you posting it. If you look at the data for Detroit, you should note a declining secular trend for net domestic Migration. There was a slight uptick the last year, but clearly one can see the trend of declining net domestic migration from the Detroit area, from its peak years of decline. Other Michigan cities, like Grand Rapids, are already seeing a return to positive net domestic migration. The growth in Michigan will be on its coasts. It will be Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Kalamazoo on the West side and Ann Arbor and the Detroit area on the east Side. I would also be remiss if I did not mention the great universities in Michigan, led by the University of Michigan, perennially rated one of the top public universities in the nation.....and a major airport DTW.

I think the thing to look for is Michigan Central Station. When Michigan Central Station gets restored and that area developed....ITS ON!

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-17-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 06:10 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

I think the thing to look for is Michigan Central Station. When Michigan Central Station gets restored and that area developed....ITS ON!
I stumbled across this thread looking for something else. While I'm not trying to necropost, I saw the quoted from 4 years ago. Ford is now in the midst of pouring three quarters of a billion dollars into MCS to anchor it's Corktown campus. Would you still agree this building is the bellwhether of Detroit's future?

Crazy times in Detroit for sure.

Last edited by mjlo; 12-17-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 09:24 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
It seems like over the last few years Philadelphia has started to be seen as more desirable. I've known a few people who moved there recently, and it's started to grow in population since 2010 after decades of decline.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:23 AM

467 posts, read 427,461 times
Spent last summer in Pittsburgh; it’s a beautiful, awesome city that has flown fairly under the radar, although more people are finally rediscovering just how great it is. I’d consider the current and ongoing growth of Pittsburgh to be its rebirth of sorts. The tech scene there is thriving too, with Google and Uber’s presence a big driver. Lots of wonderful historic architecture and tree-lined, walkable neighborhoods even far outside the downtown area, which to me was a pleasant surprise coming from the less dense/urban South. The museums and libraries punch above their weight and there are plenty of cultural offerings to be enjoyed. And topographically, Pittsburgh might be the most beautiful city in the entire US, second to maybe only San Francisco.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:50 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Spent last summer in Pittsburgh; it’s a beautiful, awesome city that has flown fairly under the radar, although more people are finally rediscovering just how great it is. I’d consider the current and ongoing growth of Pittsburgh to be its rebirth of sorts. The tech scene there is thriving too, with Google and Uber’s presence a big driver. Lots of wonderful historic architecture and tree-lined, walkable neighborhoods even far outside the downtown area, which to me was a pleasant surprise coming from the less dense/urban South. The museums and libraries punch above their weight and there are plenty of cultural offerings to be enjoyed. And topographically, Pittsburgh might be the most beautiful city in the entire US, second to maybe only San Francisco.
Comments like these make me really want to visit Pittsburgh.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:30 AM

467 posts, read 427,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Comments like these make me really want to visit Pittsburgh.
Thanks for the kind words!

Old 12-24-2018, 01:00 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
I agree with your points. Pittsburgh has a lot of great attributes (urbanity, hills, trees, tech, universities), and it's starting to get momentum for a bigger upswing.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:45 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I agree with your points. Pittsburgh has a lot of great attributes (urbanity, hills, trees, tech, universities), and it's starting to get momentum for a bigger upswing.
Pittsburgh has been the next big thing for 30 years. No reason this year should be any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City