Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city holds the most promise and best overall attributes?
Charlotte 54 18.24%
Portland 53 17.91%
San Antonio 14 4.73%
Orlando 13 4.39%
Sacramento 12 4.05%
Cincinnati 16 5.41%
Cleveland 18 6.08%
Kansas City 16 5.41%
Las Vegas 7 2.36%
Columbus 8 2.70%
Indianapolis 16 5.41%
San Jose 11 3.72%
Austin 30 10.14%
Nashville 28 9.46%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,987,252 times

Advertisements

23. Charlotte - 2,296,000
24. Portland - 2,289,000
25. San Antonio - 2,234,000
26. Orlando - 2,223,000
27. Sacramento - 2,196,00
28. Cincinnati - 2,128,000
29. Cleveland - 2,063,000
30. Kansas City - 2,038,000
31. Las Vegas - 2,000,000
32. Columbus - 1,944,000
33. Indianapolis - 1,928,00
34. San Jose - 1,894,00
35. Austin - 1,834,000
36. Nashville - 1,726,000

I compiled a list of similar sized cities ranging 300,000 up and 300,000 below the 2 million mark. There are some big named cities on here that are thrown into the mix of their lesser known cousin sized counterparts. These are mostly Midwest and western cities, including a few southern. No east coast or far north cities.

My question is which city does the best for its size? Which has the most diverse economy? The best economic future? The best cost of living? The best skyline? Which is the most underrated? Compare and contrast them anyway you like but explain your reasoning. And please no defending a city just because you're from there, leave the bias out if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:45 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
I can only speak to the cities I've been to, and in order my favorites are.....

Portland
Nashville
San Antonio
Austin
Cleveland
Las Vegas
Orlando

I like Portland the best for its vibrant downtown, quaint neighborhoods, small businesses, good food, best transit, excellent parkland, and scenic setting and in terms of quality of life and amenities I'd rank it the highest.

Nashville for its music, soul, cool skyline, good downtown, very friendly people, and nice neighborhoods. It's one of my favorite cities in the South.

San Antonio for its old world charm, great food, friendly people, good theme/water parks, and I think it paired with Austin are the rising stars out of the bunch with the best economic future. Austin is great for parks, music, improving downtown, and a great skyline. These two cities working together growing more cohesive infrastructure and upgrading transportation corridors while retaining their own unique character could potentially grow into the greatest cities in Texas.

I've only been to Cleveland briefly, I like the downtown (could have a better lakefront), and I really enjoyed the West Side Market. The city has got great bones, probably the best urban bones of any of these cities, though it has a mountain of restoration that needs to be done and needs an exponential population to return to the city to make it truly vibrant and reach its full potential.

I don't care much for Vegas or Orlando, so I won't make any further comment, just not my kind of cities.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-21-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,056,657 times
When did Charlotte get over 2 m???

Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I can only speak to the cities I've been to, and in order my favorites are.....

Portland
Nashville
San Antonio
Austin
Cleveland
Las Vegas
Orlando

I like Portland the best for its vibrant downtown, quaint neighborhoods, small businesses, good food, best transit, excellent parkland, and scenic setting and in terms of quality of life and amenities I'd rank it the highest.

Nashville for its music, soul, cool skyline, good downtown, very friendly people, and nice neighborhoods. It's one of my favorite cities in the South.

San Antonio for its old world charm, great food, friendly people, good theme/water parks, and I think it paired with Austin are the rising stars out of the bunch with the best economic future. Austin is great for parks, music, improving downtown, and a great skyline. These two cities working together growing more cohesive infrastructure and upgrading transportation corridors while retaining their own unique character could potentially grow into the greatest cities in Texas.

I've only been to Cleveland briefly, I like the downtown (could have a better lakefront), and I really enjoyed the West Side Market. The city has got great bones, probably the best urban bones of any of these cities, though it has a mountain of restoration that needs to be done and needs an exponential population to return to the city to make it truly vibrant and reach its full potential.

I don't care much for Vegas or Orlando, so I won't make any further comment, just not my kind of cities.
Excellent reasoning. Though Nashville is the smallest city on this list it is one of the most cultured cities, huge music scene there and tons of history. Its skyline is very modern and impressive for its size. I enjoy traveling through there.

I'm very curious about Austin, I have never been there, but it is a fast growing city in Texas and I think it has a chance to become something very different from Houston and Dallas.

Indianapolis has a lively and urban downtown for a city its size. Unfortunately it lacks any mentionable mass transit. It probably has the biggest sports scene of any city in here. Major universities located in the city or near the metro area, NFL, NBA, AAA baseball, Indy 500, Brickyard 400, and a minor league soccer and hockey team.

Orlando has more hotel rooms than any other city in the country. A world famous attraction Sea World, Disney World, Universal Studios, and a few other parks.

We all know what Las Vegas is known for.

Sacramento is perhaps one of the most underrated and least known California cities. While not overly dense it is enormous and houses a lot of wealth, the city holds promise.

Charlotte is among the fastest growing cities in this list, and the largest. They recently introduced a light rail in the city which seems to be doing very well.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
When did Charlotte get over 2 m???
This year when the Census did its MSA/CSA revisions.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Charlotte's size surprised me too. I didn't expect it to be that large yet. It's a city that barely registers on the radar of most people.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:04 PM

367 posts, read 997,445 times
Nashville baby!!!!

Las Vegas seems to be slowing down...might pick up tho if it does,..it could be a juaggarnaut
San Antonio is growing but it will always have to contend with/be overshadowed by Dallas/Houston
Charlotte has the best skyline of the cities mentioned
Orlando is going to be Major
Cleveland is going to collapse
Kansas City not even on my radar
Portland...not on my radar
Sacremento...never no more or no less than California capital
Indianapolis shows promise
San Jose...eh who knows,....I know their trying to steal the Memphis Grizzlies!

Last edited by SteveTime; 07-21-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Charlotte's size surprised me too. I didn't expect it to be that large yet. It's a city that barely registers on the radar of most people.
People who think that way and visit expecting a much smaller place are quite surprised as well.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,176,759 times
Just my opinions:

Which city does the best for its size? Lots of these cities do well for their size, but at the top I'd put Portland and Austin. Orlando and Vegas due to tourism.

Which has the most diverse economy? Pass

The best economic future? San Jose, Austin, Columbus

The best cost of living? Indianapolis, Nashville, Columbus (just based on this Cost of Living Index for Selected U.S. Cities | Infoplease.com)

The best skyline? Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City

Which is the most underrated? Depends on who's doing the rating and what we're rating. I'm going with Columbus and Indy.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:40 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,220,706 times
Which city does the best for its size? Nashville, Las Vegas, Portland, Charlotte

Which has the most diverse economy? Cincinnati, Cleveland

The best economic future? All the cities except for Kansas city and maybe Orlando.

The best cost of living? Cincinnati, Austin, Nashville, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Columbus, san Antonio, charlotte.

The best skyline? Cincinnati, Cleveland and Kansas city

Which is the most underrated? San Antonio, I think the rest of the cities are rated pretty fairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City