Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Jazz scene in USA?
New York City 5 33.33%
Bay Area 0 0%
LA 0 0%
Seattle(Puget Sound) 0 0%
Portland 0 0%
Kansas City 2 13.33%
St. Louis 1 6.67%
Atlanta 4 26.67%
Miami 0 0%
Philadelphia 2 13.33%
Boston 0 0%
Mid-Atlantic(DMV) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:00 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

I'm a big jazz fan, and I've been to mutliple cities. Jazz isn't the draw it use to be, but I have been to cities that almost had no jazz scene, and cities where it seem to be striving. But I was curious, nationwide what city has the most active jazz scene. I want to say NYC, as it's home of Blue Note, Cotton Club, and Jazz Standard which are historical jazz clubs that have existed for decades. And big names have come out of them. I would think New Orleans has a decent Jazz scene as well, and LA jazz scene seems to be striving, though I've never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
No doubt at the top of the list would be New Orleans, NYC, and Atlanta. I know DC had a strong scene back in the 90s and years prior, but I'm not so sure now (not based on anything, I just don't know.) Chicago and St. Louis have a good scene, but I've always felt that blues (especially in St. Louis) is stronger in both places. Other that, I think you could find a decent jazz subculture in the rest of those cities (but I would Oakaland more than San Fran proper).

Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
If you're looking for the worldly and urbane interpretation of jazz then go to New York City. If you want the real thing, New Orleans is the only city that can offer you the total jazz experience.

The third city would most likely be Chicago. Never in my life have I heard of Atlanta as a center for jazz, and don't think it should even be mentioned in the same breath as New Orleans. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to the artform.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 07-10-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 AM

416 posts, read 581,157 times
NYC has the biggest scene and the most clubs, followed by Chicago. Is there a reason why you did not include Chicago on your list? Last I checked, Philly did not have a single full-time jazz venue, which is a huge disappointment considering the city's jazz history. Chris' Jazz cafe started branching out last year, right? The N.O. scene is more "traditional." The St. Louis scene is pretty eclectic -- a mix of R&B, soul, straight-ahead, and experimental. I hear KC is solid, but I can't speak to it. The Bay Area scene, with places like Yoshi's and now the San Francisco Jazz Center, is probably stronger than the one in LA (even though lots of older big name jazz artists live in Southern California).

Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
New Orleans (how is this not an option?!?) and NYC.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
I'd put Chicago around 3-4, not sure why that wasn't an option here, either. And why would Seattle, Portland, Philly, Bay Area, Boston and so forth on the list?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
New Orleans (how is this not an option?!?) and NYC.
Agreed. I can't even vote on the poll.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Sorry I was going by memory. I actually kind of feel foolish for NOT including New Orleans and Chicago. I didn't realize I made this mistake until after I hit submit

Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Been to New Orleans and there were some decent jazz clubs there, but what surprised me was I really had to search for them in the French Quarter. A lot more modern music predominately being play (understandable). I still think NOLA would probably have the best. Chicago's pretty good: Andy's and The Green Mill where Capone used to sit with his back to the wall. Also the Jazz Record Mart by the Tribune is an amazing resources for jazz music.

Kansas City has an amazing jazz history. What I like about KC is that the music is still very sultry, not smooth. Love the Phoenix Club. And 18th & Vine is still around and has some jazz clubs as well as a jazz museum. The city tried to make another jazz district in the River Quay, but it was bombed by the Civella family during a territory war in the 70's.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
The third city would most likely be Chicago. Never in my life have I heard of Atlanta as a center for jazz, and don't think it should even be mentioned in the same breath as New Orleans. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to the artform.
Purist or snob? I'm thinking the latter if you don't know about Atlanta's jazz scene. Yeah, it's not comparable to NOLA (obviously), but you must not look past your nose enough to know whats going to the north of Louisiana. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City