Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Why do you place Seattle, Denver, and San Diego in a lower tier?
Because they're clearly nowhere near cities like Houston, Dallas, Boston, or Philadelphia. I'd argue that Atlanta isn't even in this tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 PM

371 posts, read 454,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Because one of the forumers is dead-set on making this thread about San Francisco, unfortunately.
You're not totally right, it's more about the fact that having a higher population of people doesn't indicate being better--obviously because of the scope of a city's limits--and I was just trying to point that out. And I was making points about SF AND DC, but you're right in the main: this isn't what the thread is about.

I'm dumpin' it, won't hear a peep from me about it.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:38 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Urbanity- Boston/Philly
Economy- Houston/Dallas right now. I think Boston/Philly will catch back up though
Cost of Living- Houston/Dallas
Education- Boston/Philly
Recreation- Boston/Philly
Cultural Institutions- Boston/Philly
Food- Boston/Philly for everything except BBQ and maybe Mexican
Diversity and Integration- Tie? Not really sure
Local and Regional Govt- tie? Don't really care
Transportation- Boston/Philly
Weather- Boston/Philly- hate extreme heat.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Because they're clearly nowhere near cities like Houston, Dallas, Boston, or Philadelphia. I'd argue that Atlanta isn't even in this tier.
It's not clear to me so can you give me some specific reasons.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
San Diego, Seattle, and Denver does not beat Houston or Dallas in several of the categories. They only best Houston and Dallas in urbanity, weather, recreation and maybe transit. The rest is easily Dallas and Houston which Houston, Philly(If it had Allentown), and Boston CSA having GDP's approaching 500b each and DFW approaching 450b. Denver and San Diego economies are not nearly as large and growing as fast and Seattle is below Atlanta and Miami at 292b.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:22 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
San Diego, Denver, and Seattle aren't even close to the same tier as the cities in this thread. They make up the next group after those cities.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fckaho View Post
Idek why these places on this conversation but for education Stanford is it and if you include that then you gotta include relative distances from NY too. Berkeley is full of fruitcakes and cal state let's you in if you can write your name they both garbage compared to Columbia, NYU, and princeton prolly even njit and rutgers. Even west point and yale only slightly more than a hour from ny but I ain't even need to include them. Also Cali food is trash unless you're a woman. no man would rank Cali food above NY or Chicago lmfao the hell you eat all the time? Grapes?
Well, to try and stay on topic but address the logic, my justification for it is this: Both Stanford and Berkeley consistently rank in the top 10 Universities, and usually the top 5. Scientific output from Berkeley is enormous and Stanford has a lot of close connections to Silicon Valley. According to a non-U.S., Shanghai ranking of Universities, Harvard is first, Stanford second, and Berkeley third. Thus, Cal and Stanford are the extreme elite, consistently perform that way and are in the general area. Besides that, public schools in the region perform better than most of the country.

Clinton's daughter went to Stanford, and Obama's daughter desired to go to Berkeley.

As for food, it's subjective, but the food tends to be healthier, more creative, and more diversified in California. Go down to Los Angeles and see for yourself. New York is older, with more greasy food.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
San Diego, Seattle, and Denver does not beat Houston or Dallas in several of the categories. They only best Houston and Dallas in urbanity, weather, recreation and maybe transit. The rest is easily Dallas and Houston which Houston, Philly(If it had Allentown), and Boston CSA having GDP's approaching 500b each and DFW approaching 450b. Denver and San Diego economies are not nearly as large and growing as fast and Seattle is below Atlanta and Miami at 292b.
Uh...Seattle is above Houston and Dallas in education, quality of life, and capital investment as well. Houston and Dallas isn't that impressive in per-capita, GDP:

1 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area 75,434.617
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area 75,178.225
3 Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH Metropolitan Statistical Area 68,906.481
4 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area 67,219.139
5 New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area 65,441.313
6 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area 64,962.158
7 Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area 59,601.195
8 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area 58,211.725

Same indications with density: Seattle is twice as dense, 7,774 sq mi, versus Houston's 3,503 sq mi, and Dallas' 3645 sq mi. Seattle reigns supreme in most qualities besides have a large overall GDP (which of course isn't the case when you compare it to it's size), so what are the "the rest" of the categories that would put Dallas/Houston ahead of Seattle? I understand San Diego and Denver, but Seattle? From these stats alone we can conclude that not only do more people rather live in Seattle, but there's more money per person in the city.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
Uh...Seattle is above Houston and Dallas in education, quality of life, and capital investment as well. Houston and Dallas isn't that impressive in per-capita, GDP:

1 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area 75,434.617
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area 75,178.225
3 Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH Metropolitan Statistical Area 68,906.481
4 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area 67,219.139
5 New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area 65,441.313
6 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area 64,962.158
7 Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area 59,601.195
8 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area 58,211.725

Same indications with density: Seattle is twice as dense, 7,774 sq mi, versus Houston's 3,503 sq mi, and Dallas' 3645 sq mi. Seattle reigns supreme in most qualities besides have a large overall GDP (which of course isn't the case when you compare it to it's size), so what are the "the rest" of the categories that would put Dallas/Houston ahead of Seattle? I understand San Diego and Denver, but Seattle? From these stats alone we can conclude that not only do more people rather live in Seattle, but there's more money per person in the city.
Just about any city can come out on top if you do enough cherry picking. I'm pretty sure they're looking at the bigger picture though...what makes a city a global hub. The fact is that Houston and Dallas are far larger, more economically important, and much more diverse than Seattle. No one said they were necessarily better than Seattle

Old 07-12-2014, 01:51 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Just about any city can come out on top if you do enough cherry picking. I'm pretty sure they're looking at the bigger picture though...what makes a city a global hub. The fact is that Houston and Dallas are far larger, more economically important, and much more diverse than Seattle. No one said they were necessarily better than Seattle
I agree with you. Despite Seattle being an economic powerhouse in the Pacific Northwest. I don't think it is in the same tier as Houston and Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City