Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM

371 posts, read 454,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Seattle doesn't touch Dallas in importance. Dallas has a far larger and more diverse economy. Dallas is much more diverse than Seattle as well. In fact, Seattles economy is far less diverse than city in question:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...es-us-msa.html

If all you see fast food restaurants Dallas, you're not looking very hard. Dallas has excellent ethnic cuisine variety even if most of its in the suburbs as opposed to the city.

To the person who said Philly and Boston have better food except Tex-Mex and BBQ, you're laboring under stereotypes. Both have things they do better. Philly and Boston have better regional cuisine, but ethnic variety is Dallas and Houston.
Well I'm from Berkeley, so I might be setting the bar a little too high for food places besides fast food.

Maybe not importance, but I was arguing benefits for average people, hence the first paragraph . I don't recall disputing importance ever, only that Seattle as established under the criteria from the OP, should be up there with Dallas and Houston (arguably above.) Sure, the big energy cities are more important than Seattle which is really just second-rate S.F., with some aerospace construction. But again, it's because of what they specialize, not because of the size of their economy. Economy size is not synonymous with importance, not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 12:04 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Sounds like you're due for a visit to Houston. Underbelly, Oxheart, and Uchi weren't even open 3+ years ago and the dynamic food truck scene was merely a fraction of what it is today.
Haven't been to these three (though I did enjoy several fine meals at Catalan, which nurtured Underbelly), but have heard good things from visiting Houston friends. Quality farm-to-table and Japanese-influenced cuisine are nothing new to either city, however. And good news on the truck food scene - presume you are aware there is no shortage of such outlets on the streets of Philly nor are they anything new. Both cities' culinary scenes will likely only continue to grow in both in both quality and sophistication. Each new restaurant sets the bar for those that follow.

I stand by my subjective observations, however, when comparing my 3 or so years here with my 26 years in Houston. IMO, Houston really does have great food, but overall I find the dining scene not as sophisticated and adventurous as Philly's and I don't suspect the opening of three new restaurants and the introduction of food trucks has led to a step change in three short years. I am presuming you hold a different opinion, though I'm not sure if it is based on your personal dining experiences here in Philly or only on your local Houston pride. Either way, and I don't see it as a valuable use of my time to argue any further over what are only our subjective opinions. If you think Houston's restaurants outshine Philly's, so be it.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Haven't been to these three (though I did enjoy several fine meals at Catalan, which nurtured Underbelly), but have heard good things from visiting Houston friends. Quality farm-to-table and Japanese-influenced cuisine are nothing new to either city, however. And good news on the truck food scene - presume you are aware there is no shortage of such outlets on the streets of Philly nor are they anything new. Both cities' culinary scenes will likely only continue to grow in both in both quality and sophistication. Each new restaurant sets the bar for those that follow.

I stand by my subjective observations, however, when comparing my 3 or so years here with my 26 years in Houston. IMO, Houston really does have great food, but overall I find the dining scene not as sophisticated and adventurous as Philly's and I don't suspect the opening of three new restaurants and the introduction of food trucks has led to a step change in three short years. I am presuming you hold a different opinion, though I'm not sure if it is based on your personal dining experiences here in Philly or only on your local Houston pride. Either way, and I don't see it as a valuable use of my time to argue any further over what are only our subjective opinions. If you think Houston's restaurants outshine Philly's, so be it.
Slow down. This wasn't an issue of who is better than who. All I'm saying is that your opinion of Houston's food scene may be a little outdated. That's it.

Also I am not from Houston.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
If all you see fast food restaurants Dallas, you're not looking very hard. Dallas has excellent ethnic cuisine variety even if most of its in the suburbs as opposed to the city.

To the person who said Philly and Boston have better food except Tex-Mex and BBQ, you're laboring under stereotypes. Both have things they do better. Philly and Boston have better regional cuisine, but ethnic variety is Dallas and Houston.
Eh. I'd imagine that it's a tie.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
It isn't possible for there to be a clean tie between all four. One city has to come out on top. I've got my money on Houston.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:50 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
It isn't possible for there to be a clean tie between all four. One city has to come out on top. I've got my money on Houston.
I've already given the reasons for my opinion that Philly is the better city in terms of dining. Just curious as to why feel Houston is tops? Have you spent a lot of time dining in the restaurants of any of these cities?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 AM

135 posts, read 179,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post

All in all, to say Seattle is in a different league because of its smaller size, is ridiculous.
No its not. You need to grasp size and scale. It matters, especially in the context of this conversation. Just ponder the original post a bit, write down the key points on a piece of paper, and it should come to you.

And in regards to unemployment rate, if you have something more current than July 1st and more authoritative than the US Department of Labor, do let us know. Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Quote:
Now, we have to look at the diversification of the economy to determine job prospects for people intending to live there.
It's been done. You had a hypothesis that was semi-plausible, and it turned out to be completely wrong. To remind you, please click on this link........ https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...es-us-msa.html

Quote:
Now in terms of investments into business or Capital Investment, I'm unable to find any stats on the subject and now that I think about it, I'm probably under-estimating the energy sector in Houston so it's likely higher. However, there's other investments, like venture capital, which I'm sure we can agree is very important in determining......etc etc etc
I mean I don't understand the practicality of start-ups or small business in Houston's massive energy sector but I guess it exists.
Just don't make bold statements about things you clearly do not understand (peppering your argument with offhand references to "venture capital" doesn't help - you can't do calculus if you don't understand algebra first). Understanding capital markets is not rocket science, but it is not really a layman's pastime either, and I am guessing you are basing your opinions on occasional magazine articles, Google searches, movies and chatter with people you work with. I don't have an easy link for you to click on for this one, but I think a few years of reading the Wall Street Journal might help. Rather than dig that hole any deeper, let's just move on......

Quote:
Now with education I wasn't talking about higher institutions, but if that's the subject then fine,Houston has a higher institution. I was just speaking on public schools
That's great. Please tell me the next time a global city is compared to another based on the small differences in quality of public schooling. The end-all, be-all of education comparisons is at the University level, regardless if that is accurate or not. Washington State has fantastic public schools. Seattle does not have a top-tier college.

Quote:
I would love to compare food but I have no clue exactly what kind of food is in Dallas or Houston. I'm from SF, I've been to Seattle and I'm currently residing in Texas for a month but I'm in Dallas and all I see are fast food restaurants.
I am guessing you are probably quite young - and that you have a lot of life and travel ahead of you. Go do it, enjoy it, and try to challenge you preconceived notions. Force yourself to visit places you think, well, suck, especially in America. Someday, you will make more money, have more responsibilities, maybe even a family, and probably have an evolved set of values and experiences. You will probably outgrow the child-like attachment to your home city without losing any appreciation for it. It will put you in a place where an arbitrary ranking of cities is just a thought exercise, and never feels personal. Hell, you might even find a place you like better. Stranger things have happened.

And as a last bit of advice - don't make silly statements about business and "capital investment" if you do not know what you are talking about. The world is full of smart people who will mercilessly expose you and enjoy themselves while doing it. Everyone gets a free pass in the anonymity of CD forums, but please, read up, ask questions, form an opinion based on proper context and encourage the discussion. You will learn more that way, and people can learn from you.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Philadelphia is a prime destination for history lovers, but its culinary scene is exceptional as well - NY Daily News

Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
All around perhaps so. All four are great places to eat there is no question, but they do have strengths and weaknesses. Dallas, for example, strengths are ethnic variety (variety in general) and fine dining. It's weaknesses are innovation and freshness seafood and produce. The others have their strengths and weaknesses, but all are top notch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City