Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for warehouse distribution center and a diverse culture.
Charlotte 2 5.88%
Atlanta 13 38.24%
Miami 1 2.94%
Los Angeles 4 11.76%
Austin 1 2.94%
Houston 1 2.94%
Dallas 12 35.29%
Seattle 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:49 PM

457 posts, read 904,787 times

Advertisements

As someone who had the pleasure of running a distribution center in CT for five years, I would stay away from northern cities where winter weather can disrupt supply-chains. Of the cities listed, Dallas is the best choice, followed by Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 AM

82 posts, read 52,859 times
Who do you think about Charlotte Dallascaper?

Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnswerMan123 View Post
Well it has 0 votes, what does that tell you???

Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM

457 posts, read 904,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnswerMan123 View Post
I don't know much about Charlotte, but I suppose it will work. If your business is going to rely on FedEx/UPS, then I am not sure there is a big difference between cities. You could almost run your business from Key West if you want.

Something I would consider is your physical proximity to the local FedEx/UPS sort facility/airport. Being close to FedEx/UPS can be a competitive advantage. You may want your carrier to pick up as late in the day as possible, especially if you receive hot orders from the west coast.

All the best.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:46 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
As someone who had the pleasure of running a distribution center in CT for five years, I would stay away from northern cities where winter weather can disrupt supply-chains. Of the cities listed, Dallas is the best choice, followed by Atlanta.
A good point - I'd think it depends on how you ship things though? Like if you are ground shipping everything via semi and have to go through major interstate hubs that get backed up then yeah. If you are air shipping everything, then it's pretty rare for these airports to truly have cancellations on flights and even major, major delays. In Chicago, there's a bunch of distribution centers near O'Hare for example.

I don't know much about the train system, but I doubt it would affect it terribly. I'd think shipping wise the major concern would be semi truck transport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City