Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM

937 posts, read 2,888,951 times

Advertisements

I was on site at the new Circuit City Distribution Center being built in Covington. It is going to be the 9th largest distribution center in the country.
It will be opening in Sept. 09. Hopefully, there will be plenty of jobs for those looking in that area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,869 times
Default ??

What is the status of that distribution center?? Circuit City is going under, Its on the auction block.......I was under the impression that the Distribution Center was put on hold......

Old 05-15-2008, 07:34 AM

253 posts, read 996,808 times
They've opened their books to Blockbuster who has another investor as a partner, and they may be taking them over in an effort to build a home-entertainment one-stop center.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
I think Circuit City and Blockbuster are both struggling right now. Circuit City was involved in a public relations nightmare a couple of years ago when it was discovered that they had laid off the vast majority of their experienced sales fleet in favor of hiring newbies with no experience at lower wages in a cost-cutting measure. Soon consumers noticed the change in experience level and knowledge of the employees, and they began to head en masse to Best Buy instead. When they also heard about this scandalous decision, many more, including myself, decided to boycott the company in support of those loyal long-term employees who were nixed for no good reason other than corporate greed. As a veteran in the retail industry myself I'm grateful that Lowe's Home Improvement treats us very well---they get a B+ in my book for employee relations (and would have an A if they would keep staffing at optimal levels during weekends). If Lowe's can remain profitable while keeping most of its employees happy, then why can't other big-box stores? This is one reason why I boycott Wal-Mart in favor of Target. Yes, both offer cheap junk imported from China, but the latter has employees who seem to have higher morale overall while Wal-Mart's employees seem like prisoners.

I'm very receptive, as a customer with a retail background, to companies that are taking advantage of their employees, and when I get whiff of this I never return. My next-door neighbor also boycotts Wal-Mart, as do some of my friends. Consumers are becoming more empathetic and educated towards how corporations treat their employees and are altering their purchasing habits accordingly. Circuit City could go under for all I care. I know two employees at the Wilkes-Barre Township Best Buy who are very happy with their company so I will continue to shop there until the day when a formidable independent electronics retailer opens up in our area. I will continue to urge people to shop at Lowe's over Home Depot as well due to the differences in how each company treats their employees. I earn around $11/hr. in my position and have the option as a part-timer to enroll in some benefits, a discounted stock purchase plan, receive a 10% discount, etc. Contrast this with Home Depot, and you'll see a world of difference for two companies with similar clienteles and profit margins. Whenever I get the choice I always champion the company that treats its employees better, and even then I will always promote the small town independent merchants over the goliath national chains whenever possible. I'd much rather see someone from Noxen buying a lawn tractor from Gay's Tru-Value in Tunkhannock as opposed to driving to Kingston to shop at Lowe's, even if they could potentially save $50 in the process on their purchase. After all, the dollars you spend at Gay's will stay in the community whereas the dollars you spend at Lowe's will be sent to North Carolina.

Getting back on topic, Blockbuster is doomed as Netflix and its Internet competitors continue to lure away more and more of its clientele. It's much easier to sit on your rear-end and have DVDs shipped directly to your home for rent as opposed to hopping in the car and driving 15 minutes to a Blockbuster.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:41 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,448 times
Off topic, Do you really think blockbuster will fold? personally when i rent movies its on a whim, so netflix doesn't work for me. I'll say "hey, i want to see ___" and head off to blockbuster...although i wish there was an alternative in my area...

Until i can download straight to my 1000 watt home theater system i'll be renting DVD's the night i want to see them. i don't think i'm alone on this one judging by the long line that is always at my local blockbuster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania