Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Votes?
NYC 52 62.65%
SF and Surrounding Area 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
In case you were unaware, sweetheart, your blatant bias towards the "Bay" (what an adorable name for a CSA) is pathetic. If you need to compare an entire CSA to one city just so your beloved can "win," by all means do so. The majority of us know how ridiculous and pathetic it is. Have fun arguing using your usual billionaire and wealth arguments while I move on out of the territory of the delusional. Hun.
Pumpkin, the difference in poverty levels alone shuts down any possibility of NYC even having a shot.

Also Sugar Plum, the median incomes for households and families are around 50% higher in the bay, which overall is **cheaper** than NYC as far as housing and cost of living so that's another black eye for NYC.

Then there are other things to consider like K-12 public education, universities, health care, amenities, recreation, etc.

So dumpling, while I actually adore NYC, it doesnt have a higher quality of life than the Bay Area.

The most interesting part is, even if we whittle down SF to the surrounding 300 sq miles which I think would be a fairer comparison, SF would still win because we just arent as ghetto or poor overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Pumpkin, the difference in poverty levels alone shuts down any possibility of NYC even having a shot.

Also Sugar Plum, the median incomes for households and families are around 50% higher in the bay, which overall is **cheaper** than NYC as far as housing and cost of living so that's another black eye for NYC.

Then there are other things to consider like K-12 public education, universities, health care, amenities, recreation, etc.

So dumpling, while I actually adore NYC, it doesnt have a higher quality of life than the Bay Area.

The most interesting part is, even if we whittle down SF to the surrounding 300 sq miles which I think would be a fairer comparison, SF would still win because we just arent as ghetto or poor overall.
Does that mean that NYC can still support people of lower income whereas SF seems to have made it pretty much untenable for them?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does that mean that NYC can still support people of lower income whereas SF seems to have made it pretty much untenable for them?
Well if you call squalid tenements 'tenable', then sure.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Finally NYC is winning! I know both cities are the "darling children" of City-Data but I really do think NYC is better. San Francisco, while nice, comes off as trying too hard to be NYC.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Well if you call squalid tenements 'tenable', then sure.
NYCHA houses aren't really tenements. Tenement houses, like those in the Lower East Side, are now often the domain of the younger and middle class who generally come from educated and middle to upper income backgrounds. Sort of ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
In case you were unaware, sweetheart, your blatant bias towards the "Bay" (what an adorable name for a CSA) is pathetic. If you need to compare an entire CSA to one city just so your beloved can "win," by all means do so. The majority of us know how ridiculous and pathetic it is. Have fun arguing using your usual billionaire and wealth arguments while I move on out of the territory of the delusional. Hun.
A flamboyant self-proclaimed Bay Area "billionaire" with a bizarre ego that's almost borderline militant....I wouldn't pay him any mind. The best remedy to his adorable little tirade is to ignore him like I have

Old 07-23-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Finally NYC is winning! I know both cities are the "darling children" of City-Data but I really do think NYC is better.
Darling your entitled to a lower quality of life if that's what you want. God speed.

But there is next to no statistical data from a socio-economic standpoint to justify the notion of NYC having a higher QOL

Quote:
San Francisco, while nice, comes off as trying too hard to be NYC.
Hahaha no, that's called 'ambition'

Families with children living in Poverty, 2012
New York City 26.9%
San Francisco Bay 11.7%

Median Family Income, 2012
San Francisco Bay $90,430
New York City $55,240

Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
A flamboyant self-proclaimed Bay Area "billionaire" with a bizarre ego that's almost borderline militant....I wouldn't pay him any mind. The best remedy to his adorable little tirade is to ignore him like I have
Correction: He's a millionaire, not a billionaire. Get your facts straight.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Quote:
Darling your entitled to a lower quality of life if that's what you want. God speed.

But there is next to no statistical data from a socio-economic standpoint to justify the notion of NYC having a higher QOL

Hahaha no, that's called 'ambition'

Families with children living in Poverty, 2012
New York City 26.9%
San Francisco Bay 11.7%

Median Family Income, 2012
San Francisco Bay $90,430
New York City $55,240
Of course NYC has more poverty...it has more people. And I never spoke of quality of life-just that NYC is a better city.

In addition, just because one is poor doesn't mean they have no ambition, there might be other circumstances. You can't generalize.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:48 PM

474 posts, read 530,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Of course NYC has more poverty...it has more people. And I never spoke of quality of life-just that NYC is a better city.

In addition, just because one is poor doesn't mean they have no ambition, there might be other circumstances. You can't generalize.
Those statistics are percentages, not raw numbers- and because which city is "better" is not pertinent to the premise of the thread, your comments mean little to the subject at hand; in other words, saying, "I like NYC more" does not aid in the discussion of quality of life. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, favoritism of one city over another does not mean that that respective city can automatically garner approval in every field of criteria.
As for my perspective, I believe that the Bay Area has a higher QOL in general- there simply is a larger diversity of lifestyles involved in a comparison between a CSA and a city proper, ultimately favoring the area with the largest contrasts and juxtaposition of living. In the Bay Area, there is a choice of busy city, suburban, and rural communities- this isn't the case in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City