Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:12 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not necessarily, nights tend to be far less humid than days. And if you're at the immediate coast, it's rarely humid at all. My friends with summer homes at the Jersey Shore don't use air conditioning, especially at night - the cool, salty breezes of a coastal summer are beautiful.
Actually, aren't the nights more humid? It's just cooled off so much that the humidity does not matter. I mean honestly, who cares if the humidity is 80% if it's 67 with a calm breeze?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah sure, whatever you say hun-but without AC that makes your weather feel like MINE, sleeping where you live is downright miserable in the summer.
Well, here usually at midnight its more or less 75 in summer and the humidity starts to pick up (not east coast level but you do feel the change from 20-50% at midday to 60%+ at midnight) and i have no trouble sleeping, so its not as extreme as you make it seem back east, yeah its muggy but not impossible to rest. All i need at night is the fan blowing and windows open at night to sleep.

Even in Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, etc ( which is much more humid and warmer at night than anything in the east coast) with AC put on its lowest level and about 75 i sleep comfortable all night long.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, aren't the nights more humid? It's just cooled off so much that the humidity does not matter. I mean honestly, who cares if the humidity is 80% if it's 67 with a calm breeze?
I don't know, they sure don't feel more humid to me. Maybe they are, but again, it doesn't feel it, like you said because it's cooled off.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Any city in the middle of the country from Texas to Minnesota is miserable. In that central corridor, you get oppressive heat, humidity, thunderstorms and hailstorms, tornadoes, and in the North terrible mosquitoes.
Including Cleveland?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Pretty much any city that isn't Seattle, Anchorage, Vancouver, or possibly Minneapolis... but the WORST? My top 5 would be:

Phoenix
Las Vegas
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Minny is probably warmer than you think. Over the past 15 years the average high temp during July has been 85-86 degrees, and the 30 year average is 84. It's remarkably similar to Chicago during summer, if you have any familiarity with Chicago during summer. I realize people know of Minneapolis to be a cold place so they assume that summers are also cool, but they're not -- they're warm, if not downright hot sometimes. Two years ago the average high during July was 90, as was much of the Midwest/Northeast that year! I like it though, but it definitely makes me sweat and by the time August rolls around makes me long for cooler temps.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Actually, I have lived in the Minneapolis area in the summer, and the heat and humidity was miserable. I thought that with such bad winters, the summers would be decent. In reality, they were sticky and uncomfortable, and you couldn't go for a walk in the woods without being completely swarmed with mosquitos. They are much worse, and more aggressive in northern climates actually, because they have a shorter breeding season. If you go to Northern Canada or Alaska in the summer, you can't go outside without a bug net in many areas. Above the arctic circle you can die of blood loss from mosquito bites. So in, Minnesota, with such extreme winter weather, yes the mosquitos are worse.

Also, just wanted to note that in Cleveland we have this big blue thing called Lake Erie that helps moderate the temperature. Our average highs and lows in the summer month are both lower than Minneapolis'.

Climatology Comparison for New York, NY (10034) - weather.com
Agreed about the averages, but you can hopefully appreciate that they aren't THAT statistically different, right? I live here (CLE) now and although it's noticeably a degree or two cooler here during summertime I don't feel like I'm in some different part of the country with wildly different weather. The t-storms around here also aren't as strong, I've noticed (at least not in the 4 summers I've experienced, this being #4).

Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Compared to Chicago and the Twin Cities, DC winters are mild. Compared to Atlanta and Houston, DC winters are frigid. DC gets the best or worst of both worlds.
In my opinion DC's summers AND winters aren't ideal, because it's too hot/muggy during summer and too cool -- yet still mild enough -- during winter to enjoy anything outside. Spring and fall, on the other hand, are amazing! Almost every place has some trade-offs, but the trade-offs aren't always summer for winter or winter for summer, but also summer/winter for fall/spring.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Actually, I don't wish we had summers like San Franciso at all. I've been there in August-was 55F, windy, and overcast most of the day. THAT is my idea of hellacious. I also don't miss the dry weather of California. I like the fact that I can walk outside in the rain here and the temperature is still 80F, so I can play in it. In CA, the few times you do get rain, it's 55F and windy outside, and the rain is cold and drags on for days. Here, it's a heavy downpour lasting an hour at most. We probably got more rain in an hour than California has in 2 years! I love the seeing the lightening and dark clouds, and the beauty of the contrast between the vibrant green leaves of the trees and the dark gray clouds, and the sound of thunder. I like walking outside at midnight to 75F weather, sometimes more, to catch fireflies or take a dip in the pool, where I don't need a heater, since the hot and humid weather has naturally warmed the water to a comfortable temperature. Try swimming in an unheated pool in San Francisco. You'll get water almost as cold as the ocean! I enjoy coming from the coolness of an inside place and immediately being warmed up by the muggy and very warm-hot weather. I'll admit sometimes it gets unbearable, and I don't care for the mosquitoes, gnats, and all that. But most of the time I enjoy that weather. And I just love the sounds of the cicadas. I'll stand by saying that Southern California has the best weather in all of California. While the Bay Area is beautiful, the weather most of the year on the immediate coast is absolutely dreadful.

And no, San Francisco doesn't have the same summer climate as Portland and Seattle, not even the same as Vancouver. Both places regularly reach the 70sF for a daytime high, sometimes hotter, with sunshine. San Francisco is enshrouded in "Karl the Fog" and remains windy and cold until September and October, then gets cold again! Since you're making up lies about how San Francisco summers are sunny and warm like the Pacific Northwest, I'll assume you're just a troll who secretly hates the summers in San Francisco.
I hope for your sake that you don't end up going to hell, because something tells me that El Diablo and friends don't set the thermostat to 55 to "torture" their victims! Warm sunshine with a cool breeze is my idea of heaven, and even if it's not yours, it certainly isn't "hellacious"!!!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM

33 posts, read 41,563 times
San Francisco summer is the coldest winter you will experience.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 AM

390 posts, read 940,915 times
In my opinion NYC has the worst summers. Not only is it very hot and humid most of the time, but due to the urban heat island effect it doesn't cool off much at night. Last summer when we had stretches of temps in the mid to upper 90's, it would only drop down into the mid 80's at night...certainly not comfortable sleeping weather. Also, it's not like most other cities where people can just go from their air conditioned house to their air conditioned car, most people in NYC walk everywhere or have to wait outside for a bus or on a hot subway platform for the subway. The smells of an overcrowded populous and dirt/filth just become that much worse in the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City