Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
This has been an odd year for LA. January and February were consistently in the high 70s to high 80s. There were two major heat waves in the months of April and May and arguably we are going through another one right now. Soak it up while you can, it's quite nice compared to the polar vortex (and chilly summer) that much of the midwest and east coast has been having.
Yes it has. I was in San Diego so I know that last winter was above average. What I was saying is that the average winter in SoCal is 60sF for the day and 40sF for the night. Better than up north but still chilly.

Actually, while the Midwest and East Coast have been having cooler-than-normal summer weather, itis far from chilly. We've been getting 70sF and 80sF for daytime highs, and some days even hotter than that. The weather this summer is no more "chilly" than an average summer in coastal SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yes it has. I was in San Diego so I know that last winter was above average. What I was saying is that the average winter in SoCal is 60sF for the day and 40sF for the night. Better than up north but still chilly.

Actually, while the Midwest and East Coast have been having cooler-than-normal summer weather, itis far from chilly. We've been getting 70sF and 80sF for daytime highs, and some days even hotter than that. The weather this summer is no more "chilly" than an average summer in coastal SoCal.
Overnight lows in the upper midwest were in the low 40s this week. That's early October weather

Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Overnight lows in the upper midwest were in the low 40s this week. That's early October weather
Those were unpopulated areas up near the canadian border though, like the UP of Michigan.

Where the people live, down around Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc. that saw that pool of chilly air the average lows were from the mid 50's to low 60's and the highs were in the low 70s (this was just for a day or two).

It was chilly for July, but certainly not CHILLY to the human body for the most part. Almost everyone I talked to LOVES this summer with the cooler weather. I for one don't like the heat. I can still wear shorts and t-shirts all summer though, highs in the 70's and low 80's are great.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,989 times
1. Miami, FL
2. Tampa, FL
3. New Orleans, LA
4. Houston, TX
They are all ridiculously hot and humid. They are the summer extreme equivalent to Duluth, MN in the winter. If you live in Tampa or any of these other cities as I do, you do not even want to leave your house in the summer. You have to dress down everywhere you go because you will ruin your clothes with sweat. You begin to sweat profusely the moment you step out of A/C. I would prefer the dry air of the west coast.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:59 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzero View Post
1. Miami, FL
2. Tampa, FL
3. New Orleans, LA
4. Houston, TX
They are all ridiculously hot and humid. They are the summer extreme equivalent to Duluth, MN in the winter. If you live in Tampa or any of these other cities as I do, you do not even want to leave your house in the summer. You have to dress down everywhere you go because you will ruin your clothes with sweat. You begin to sweat profusely the moment you step out of A/C. I would prefer the dry air of the west coast.
I would throw Orlando to the top of that list because it doesn't even get the benefit of being by the coast. It's just hot, humid, and miserable in the Summer.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Summer "Polar Vorex" weather sure is a strange thing. Pittsburgh's high today was in the mid 60's, which is over 15 degrees below average.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Summer "Polar Vorex" weather sure is a strange thing. Pittsburgh's high today was in the mid 60's, which is over 15 degrees below average.
PLEASE send that vortex West! At 101 degrees, we are 15 above normal here in Northeast Washington state... only 45 minutes South of the Canadian border. Yuck.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 AM

591 posts, read 820,414 times
Visited South Carolina in the summer once. Painfully humid.
Still a nice state though.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
For Christ's sake, LA in winter averages mid-to-upper 60sF most of the time. (Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Every now and then a warm spell will hit with days of 70F or above, but that only lasts for a few days before it gets back to its usual chill.
All los angeles doesnt have the weather of usc and south la, the whole region from east la, south to paramount and south gate, east to santa ana and costa mesa and north to la puente etc all have winter above 70, most of sfv has its coldest month at 69 too, so saying that LA is low 70s in winter is true.

Warm spells in winter for Socal send temps above 80 even to 90s, damn.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Camping in the Rocky Mountains makes me miss camping in the Midwest. I miss the warmth all night long, which lead to swimming, boating, and such all night long... such a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City