Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:02 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
D.C. and Houston were the worst I've ever experienced.
Glad people mentioning DC though this summer has been very tolerable so far. Had a couple mid 90 days but most days have been in the 80s. Cool summer so far. The summer of 2012 was miserable though.

Quote:
2. Houston. I'm not sure there are many places in the world that get quite as hot AND humid as Houston does in the summer.
Plenty. Cities in the Persian gulf, India, and Southeast Asia would make Houston look like Barcelona.
Right now in Calcutta it's 90 degrees with 75% humidity and it feels like 108 degrees. At night, they have humid nights up to 90%. Houston is hot and humid but never that hot and humid at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 12:09 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
1. Houston
2. New Orleans
3. Dallas

Old 07-26-2014, 01:34 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,029 times
Phoenix.

QED

Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The summer I spent in DC was the absolute worse in terms of heat and humidity.
St. Louis was a very close second.
Washington DC, Cincinnati and St. Louis are just far enough south that they can get baked even as cities farther north have an average or below-average summer. U.S. 50 seems to be about the dividing line between occasional heat and more persistent heat.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Glad people mentioning DC though this summer has been very tolerable so far. Had a couple mid 90 days but most days have been in the 80s. Cool summer so far. The summer of 2012 was miserable though.

Plenty. Cities in the Persian gulf, India, and Southeast Asia would make Houston look like Barcelona.
Right now in Calcutta it's 90 degrees with 75% humidity and it feels like 108 degrees. At night, they have humid nights up to 90%. Houston is hot and humid but never that hot and humid at the same time.
There is nothing "cool" about temperatures in the 80sF.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
So are you suggesting that most people want a chilly or cold summer? I think it is pretty much a fact that most people enjoy a warm summer, sometimes a hot one. Otherwise, we wouldn't see commercials on TV for buying bathing suits, or hear advertisements on the radio for hitting the beach/shore, checking out the newest water park, etc.
Haha nope. Most people abhor heat(muggy or dry) as they run from their air conditioned homes to air conditioned cars and drive to air conditioned destinations.

I just open the doors to my veranda and a cool breeze(69-72)wafts in. At night, I dont need AC or a fan and actually sleep with a blanket and am not sweaty and fending off mosquitos. You cant do that in hot places and unless your air is manipulated to be cooler with some manmade device like AC, tryimg to go to sleep is difficult and quite frankly, yucky.

Im just not used to that. And 99% of people who visit me instantly fall in love with the weather, so to each his own but I dont do nasty summers.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:06 AM

611 posts, read 1,455,941 times
Quote:
For me, I prefer humid heat. I understand it is oppressive at times, but the reason it is for me is because of all the bugs like mosquitoes. Dry intense heat like in Phoenix or Vegas just feels like going into an oven. I would rather have a 90F with humidity than 110F and very dry.

I grew up in Orlando, FL and spent a year in Las Vegas. The south is worse, IMHO. The only thing that bothered me about LV was the extreme brightness of the sun, but the sweating in LV was no where near as bad as FL.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:10 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Yeah and it's always a trade off in most places that aren't tempered by the ocean. If you want more mild winters, you will likely have worse summers (DC, Houston, ATL); if you want nicer summers, you will likely have worse winters (Mpls, Chi, Bos).

Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
There is nothing "cool" about temperatures in the 80sF.
Yes it is. If it's 83 with no humidity, that is cool for middle of July.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 AM

214 posts, read 300,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah and it's always a trade off in most places that aren't tempered by the ocean. If you want more mild winters, you will likely have worse summers (DC, Houston, ATL); if you want nicer summers, you will likely have worse winters (Mpls, Chi, Bos).
Exactly - Chicago has pretty nice Summers too. Actually I'm here right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City