Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Well places in the valleys all have mid to upper 90s in summer, with the coolest being pico rivera spanning west to East LA (not valley but are the "gateways" to the valleys. If the rose hills connected to elysian park they would be placed over these cities) which still are low 90s in summer.

Just noticed you are now living in Philly, do you like it better than san diego (your location) weather wise?
I know I'll hate the fall and winters more than San Diego, lol. I enjoy the springs out East more than out West though. Seems like, at least along the coast, you get a lot of fog and chilly weather for much of spring, and now with the drought, there will probably be less green and wildfires. And while inland gets warm, the nights along the coast are still warmer during that time of year. Here, spring starts off cold but then gets warm and pretty much stays that way, and then the beautiful flowers everywhere...gosh, so pretty. I especially love the cherry blossoms, magnolias, tulips and azaleas. The dogwoods are nice too.

I prefer the summers out here. I like San Diego summers, they're nice. But sometimes the weather right on the beach, while warm, isn't exactly beach weather, and the water in SoCal isn't all that warm. Out here, it is hot and humid and stays that way even at night, so the ocean gets pretty warm. The weather for swimming in a pool is also better out here, you don't really need a pool heater in summer because the hot weather naturally warms the pool. I also really love the warm nights (and fireflies!). San Diego mostly has cool nights in summer, which is nice to open the windows and stuff, but you need a sweatshirt, and that's not summer weather IMO. I also like the cicadas and all the greenery out here, and the monsoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 03:33 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Actually, I don't wish we had summers like San Franciso at all. I've been there in August-was 55F, windy, and overcast most of the day. THAT is my idea of hellacious. I also don't miss the dry weather of California. I like the fact that I can walk outside in the rain here and the temperature is still 80F, so I can play in it. In CA, the few times you do get rain, it's 55F and windy outside, and the rain is cold and drags on for days. Here, it's a heavy downpour lasting an hour at most. We probably got more rain in an hour than California has in 2 years! I love the seeing the lightening and dark clouds, and the beauty of the contrast between the vibrant green leaves of the trees and the dark gray clouds, and the sound of thunder. I like walking outside at midnight to 75F weather, sometimes more, to catch fireflies or take a dip in the pool, where I don't need a heater, since the hot and humid weather has naturally warmed the water to a comfortable temperature. Try swimming in an unheated pool in San Francisco. You'll get water almost as cold as the ocean! I enjoy coming from the coolness of an inside place and immediately being warmed up by the muggy and very warm-hot weather. I'll admit sometimes it gets unbearable, and I don't care for the mosquitoes, gnats, and all that. But most of the time I enjoy that weather. And I just love the sounds of the cicadas. I'll stand by saying that Southern California has the best weather in all of California. While the Bay Area is beautiful, the weather most of the year on the immediate coast is absolutely dreadful.

And no, San Francisco doesn't have the same summer climate as Portland and Seattle, not even the same as Vancouver. Both places regularly reach the 70sF for a daytime high, sometimes hotter, with sunshine. San Francisco is enshrouded in "Karl the Fog" and remains windy and cold until September and October, then gets cold again! Since you're making up lies about how San Francisco summers are sunny and warm like the Pacific Northwest, I'll assume you're just a troll who secretly hates the summers in San Francisco.
Yeah fyi, I stopped reading after the first few lines of reguritated drivel that is your usual schtick as far as weather.

And the HELL you and all the other steamy people back there dont wish you had summer weather like the Bay. Youd all fall on your knees and thank God for the miracle. LMAO.

And like I said, swinming in SF is downright paradisical compared to trying to sleep comfortably at night back east without sweating like a pig. Oink.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,833 times
Quote:
I know I'll hate the fall and winters more than San Diego, lol. I enjoy the springs out East more than out West though. Seems like, at least along the coast, you get a lot of fog and chilly weather for much of sptnthehg, and now with the drought, there will probably be less green and wildfires. And while inland gets warm, the nights along the coast are still warmer during that time of year. Here, spring starts off cold but then gets warm and pretty much stays that way, and then the beautiful flowers everywhere...gosh, so pretty. I especially love the cherry blossoms, magnolias, tulips and azaleas. The dogwoods are nice too.

I prefer the summers out here. I like San Diego summers, they're nice. But sometimes the weather right on the beach, while warm, isn't exactly beach weather, and the water in SoCal isn't all that warm. Out here, it is hot and humid and stays that way even at night, so the ocean gets pretty warm. The weather for swimming in a pool is also better out here, you don't really need a pool heater in summer because the hot weather naturally warms the pool. I also really love the warm nights (and fireflies!). San Diego mostly has cool nights in summer, which is nice to open the windows and stuff, but you need a sweatshirt, and that's not summer weather IMO. I also like the cicadas and all the greenery out here, and the monsoons.
In all my years living in LA Area (I lived in costa mesa too) summer nights are 70s and midnights around 75, as far as swimming in pools here in LA the sun heats up the pool to about 82-83 after a 94 F day and 70 F night, back in CM (by the coast) the pool would be cooler since its cooler in the day about mid 80s and slightly warmer at night in low 70s so also very comfortable to swim. Also my pools also get hit by direct sunlight the only shade it gets are from the palm trees, aand my banana tree, so that also adds to the warm water.

I would love if at night the humidity picked up and felt muggy, but still I like it since you can still walk out at 3 am and feel nice warmth.

im going to get all the mugginess I wqnt next week in Manzanillo though, ill enjoy the humidity and thunderstorms.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Perhaps cooler for the time kf year, but 83F itself is a warm temperature.
I'm saying that will little humidity and low dewpoint at this time of the year is cool. It's usually got and humid. Not warm and dry.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
In all my years living in LA Area (I lived in costa mesa too) summer nights are 70s and midnights around 75, as far as swimming in pools here in LA the sun heats up the pool to about 82-83 after a 94 F day and 70 F night, back in CM (by the coast) the pool would be cooler since its cooler in the day about mid 80s and slightly warmer at night in low 70s so also very comfortable to swim. Also my pools also get hit by direct sunlight the only shade it gets are from the palm trees, aand my banana tree, so that also adds to the warm water.

I would love if at night the humidity picked up and felt muggy, but still I like it since you can still walk out at 3 am and feel nice warmth.

im going to get all the mugginess I wqnt next week in Manzanillo though, ill enjoy the humidity and thunderstorms.
From my experience in the Valley stayng with my grandparents, it did stay in the 70sF at nighht until about dawn, then sharply dipped into the 60sF for about 3 hours...maybe that is what you're referring to. I which case, I agree.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah fyi, I stopped reading after the first few lines of reguritated drivel that is your usual schtick as far as weather.

And the HELL you and all the other steamy people back there dont wish you had summer weather like the Bay. Youd all fall on your knees and thank God for the miracle. LMAO.

And like I said, swinming in SF is downright paradisical compared to trying to sleep comfortably at night back east without sweating like a pig. Oink.
I am sure some people do wish for summer weather like in Oakland-sunny and 74F during the day with low humidity. I would not mind that. But many here actually appreciate the heat like I do and do not want the cold and overcast summers of San Francisco. For me, the reason is because I like tropical weather. For others out here, they appreciate the distinct 4 seasons. Meaning they like cool weather at CERTAIN times of year, such as spring and fall. But they want their winters cold and snowy, and their summers to be hot enough to swim in a pool or ocean comfortably. As for sleeping at night...we have something called air conditioning. My house is comfortable at 66F so I have no problem sleeping at night. Perhaps you do from all that cold and windy weather in San Francisco.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Yeah sure, whatever you say hun-but without AC that makes your weather feel like MINE, sleeping where you live is downright miserable in the summer.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Yeah sure, whatever you say hun-but without AC that makes your weather feel like MINE, sleeping where you live is downright miserable in the summer.
Not necessarily, nights tend to be far less humid than days. And if you're at the immediate coast, it's rarely humid at all. My friends with summer homes at the Jersey Shore don't use air conditioning, especially at night - the cool, salty breezes of a coastal summer are beautiful.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
I would never complain about L.A. weather because compared to D.C., at least for me its much more comfortable out here in L.A. I lived in DC over 20 years and summers were absolutely horrible. We had central air in every place we ever lived. I remember growing up my parents tried turning the air off at night but it was still muggy and hot. I also remember some of our neighbors didn't have central air and would be sitting outside fanning themselves all day. If a thunderstorm came through it would be a little relief but when that ended the streets and sidewalks would steam up and it really felt like a sauna. For the folks that like oppressive heat and humidity, more power to you.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
And without heating that makes your weather like MINE, yo're not going to enjoy swimming.

Isn't that the beauty of the AC though? I can enjoy a nice warm day at the beach, and have the choice of going somewhere cooler if the heat bothers me. For you, you're not going to be able to enjoy a nice warm day at the beach, and you don't have the choice.

People have different opinions. Not everyone likes San Francisco or its weather, and not everyone is envious of California. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City