Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
New Orleans 46 43.40%
Toronto 60 56.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:03 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is nice city to visit, but Toronto is a better place to live... by far... very far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:13 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree that NOLA has some unique and interesting things but one who actually knows of and understands Toronto would recognize it isn't just a cookie cutter place..For example a walk through the U of T is a must for lovers of neo- classical architecture when visiting the city.. The D District is unmatched for industrial Victorian architecture and T.O has its own unique res style in the Bay and Gable... Toronto is a vintage shopping mecca that many don't realize.

People who say T.O has no interesting history probably didn't visit Fort York or the many historical places in the city that house their own interesting tales. Did you know for example Toronto has the most extensive ravine system of any city in the world? So really, anyone who thinks T.O is a generic city really needs to go out and experience the city in more totality...is it the fault of the city that people don't do their homework - I don't think so! I wouldn't exactly classify Toronto as non festive either but hey - I know the city and what goes on... Hmmm I wonder if Nola has Buddies in Bad Time Theatre and OCAD...

T.O is also a massive city by U.S/Canadian standards so it is not going to be as compact as NOLA which may alter perception to a degree.
Oh I know that, even on the Gulf Coast, Houston is my choice over New Orleans. I'm just a big market/big city person all the way. I'm just saying though, if someone ever had to leave their comfort zone and try something new and extraordinarily distinct; then no place better to start than the likes of New Orleans, Montreal, Quebec City, Mexico City, Santa Fe, and the like.

I'm more of a day to day person myself. Atticman mentioned North by Northeast, I like events like that, I went to school in Austin (Texas) and attended South by Southwest two of the four years I lived there, enjoyed it immensely. Also did enjoy the Austin City Limits, Austin Film Festival, Formula One, and all the live music and late night events (raves (indoor, outdoor, in the wilderness), concerts, bars, so on). Toronto is an even bigger city than Austin, I'd clearly have all the amenities I could possibly want, in a city I genuinely like, if I had to live in Toronto.

I saw just a month and a half ago how easy it is to find everything, from actual Chinese, to actual Madrasi, to actual Palestinian. It's all there. New Orleans just doesn't have that.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
The bars also stayed open till 4am during the North By Northeast music festival. It's not just one or two weeks a year they do that. Toronto also has plenty of after hours venues that operate year round if one is determined to drink until sunrise.
Here's a novel idea, why dont you just make it a 4am last call every day of the week? Or abolish last call altogether? Why is going out late a special occasion?

Plus every single city on earth has after hours of unlicensed spots. I even know the names of places in Qatar to find booze outside of the hotels. Why not just open things up and not make it into some major excursion to have a fu*king cocktail after 2.

Go live in a 24 hour city, then get back to me.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Yeah they did it during the Olympcs this year when Canada trounced the U.S.
Didn't Canada play Sweden in the Gold Medal game? lol. I don't even watch Olympic Hockey and I knew that. : )

Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Here's a novel idea, why dont you just make it a 4am last call every day of the week? Or abolish last call altogether? Why is going out late a special occasion?

Plus every single city on earth has after hours of unlicensed spots. I even know the names of places in Qatar to find booze outside of the hotels. Why not just open things up and not make it into some major excursion to have a fu*king cocktail after 2.

Go live in a 24 hour city, then get back to me.
Oh jeez Edward always something anything when it comes to Toronto - the place in the world that just gets under your skin - if its not one thing it most certainly is another..if anything Toronto should be more yourmode now if your not out puking at 4 am.. seriously is it really that big of a deal to most people? Probably not! Would I like to see it - sure but its not a reason alone to say the city has a terrible nightlife - if anything they just move the party to unregulated venues which there are many.

Yes the gold medal game wasn't between Canada and the U.S but since we won gold we trounced the U.S plus beat the U.S in the semi-final..a more natural rivaly than Canada v Sweden - boring!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-13-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Oh I know that, even on the Gulf Coast, Houston is my choice over New Orleans. I'm just a big market/big city person all the way. I'm just saying though, if someone ever had to leave their comfort zone and try something new and extraordinarily distinct; then no place better to start than the likes of New Orleans, Montreal, Quebec City, Mexico City, Santa Fe, and the like.

I'm more of a day to day person myself. Atticman mentioned North by Northeast, I like events like that, I went to school in Austin (Texas) and attended South by Southwest two of the four years I lived there, enjoyed it immensely. Also did enjoy the Austin City Limits, Austin Film Festival, Formula One, and all the live music and late night events (raves (indoor, outdoor, in the wilderness), concerts, bars, so on). Toronto is an even bigger city than Austin, I'd clearly have all the amenities I could possibly want, in a city I genuinely like, if I had to live in Toronto.

I saw just a month and a half ago how easy it is to find everything, from actual Chinese, to actual Madrasi, to actual Palestinian. It's all there. New Orleans just doesn't have that.
Well I tried to highlight some unique aspects of Toronto for you so on your next trip up here let us know in the T.O section and we will give you more ideas. I do get what you are saying but im not sure you have peeled through enough layers.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Lets see, we've had......

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...vs-boston.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...francisco.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ladelphia.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-houston.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ington-dc.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-toronto.html

and the most heated one...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-toronto.html

And now New Orleans. Next thread.....Toronto vs. Salt Lake City! It's on!!!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM

I guess its pretty natural that T.O is compared to larger U.S cities because only NYC and L.A are larger cities in every measure.. T.O vs Chicago will always be the most heated U.S city vs Toronto because they are both great lake cities and similar in population - Toronto a bit larger city proper and Chicago the larger metro.. It does seem unnatural to compare Toronto to NOLA which is a much smaller niche city if you will whereas Toronto is an alpha class global city.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
To the OP:

Is this a discussion about where you want to lay down roots, seriously pursue options for professional and economic goals? What is your age, marital status? Kids, no kids?

I ask because if you are really serious about staying in the community long term, I would really not consider NOLA. It is a mid sized city with a crumbling infrastructure, rampant poverty, racial and class divisions and corruption. Toronto is a world class city. NOLA not even close. What NOLA IS, as PPs have mentioned, is absolutely unique. There is no place like it on earth. When you live there, it gets in your blood and does not leave.

I went to school there in the mid 1990s and had a love/hate relationship with it. I loved the food, night life and spirit. I hated the decay, **** poor public services and ignorance. I had about 15 people in my graduate program at Tulane. 4 or 5 were locals, all the rest of us were from other parts of the country. When we graduated, not one of us who was not a local chose to stay. Not one.

NOLA is a place to visit, not live long term. But, if you are single, unattached and plan on only being there a couple of years, give it a try.....
When was the last time you were in New Orleans? There are plenty of people (families too) moving to New Orleans and renovating homes Uptown, Mid-City, and Gentilly. The 90s were 20 years ago.
Quote:
It does seem unnatural to compare Toronto to NOLA which is a much smaller niche city if you will whereas Toronto is an alpha class global city.
New Orleans is always compared to larger cities, it doesn't compare as much to cities it's size.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,511 times
You can not compare both cities... they are in different brackets.

P.S. You will find no other city in the US/Canada like New Orleans hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City