Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 09:55 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times

Advertisements

Most downtowns around America were mixed-use vibrant bustling neighborhoods in the 1920s. Photos of their streets showed bustling street scenes with a mixture of office, retail, and housing. Many people have predicted the downfall of downtown's because of WFH, but I think that prediction lacks vision. If office buildings in downtowns around America convert to residential space, downtowns will become neighborhoods again and come alive especially at night and weekends when most people experience them anyway. The highest density mixed-use neighborhoods in America are the most vibrant so adding tens of thousands of new residents to downtowns will create a great mix of office workers, residents, and tourists' day and night.

Which downtowns are already similar to their 1910-1930 version of themselves, and which downtowns could turn back into that version of themselves in the future?

I have added street scenes from cities all over America below:

Downtown Atlanta 1920s

Downtown Philadelphia 1920s

Downtown Dallas 1920s

Downtown Houston 1920s

Downtown Boston 1920s

Downtown DC 1910s

Downtown Baltimore 1920s

Downtown Seattle 1920s

Downtown LA 1920s

Downtown San Francisco 1920s

Downtown Miami 1920s

Downtown St. Louis 1930s

Downtown Cleveland 1920s

Downtown Chicago 1920's

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-30-2022 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 10:02 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Most downtowns around America were mixed-use vibrant bustling neighborhoods in the 1920s. Photos of their streets showed bustling street scenes with a mixture of office, retail, and housing. Many people have predicted the downfall of downtown's because of WFH, but I think that prediction lacks vision. If office buildings in downtowns around America convert to residential space, downtowns will become neighborhoods again and come alive especially at night and weekends when most people experience them anyway. The highest density mixed-use neighborhoods in America are the most vibrant so adding tens of thousands of new residents to downtowns will create a great mix of office workers, residents, and tourists' day and night.

Which downtowns are already similar to their 1910-1930 version of themselves, and which downtowns could turn back into that version of themselves in the future?

I have added street scenes from cities all over America below:

Downtown Atlanta 1920s

Downtown Philadelphia 1920s

Downtown Dallas 1920s

Downtown Houston 1920s

Downtown Boston 1920s

Downtown DC 1910s

Downtown Baltimore 1920s

Downtown Seattle 1920s

Downtown LA 1920s

Downtown San Francisco 1920s

Downtown Miami 1920s

Downtown St. Louis 1930s

Downtown Cleveland 1920s

Downtown Chicago 1920's
I hate to break it to you, but none of those cities will ever have a downtown as active as they did in 1920. Americans back then lived in much tighter spaces than we do today, and owning a personal automobile was still uncommon. We won't return to that unless there is some kind of economic collapse. If you want to see this level of population density travel to a less-developed country.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:04 AM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
The Boston photo is of New York..

This could work: https://flic.kr/p/dSHVWP

Old 09-30-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The Boston photo is of New York..

This could work: https://flic.kr/p/dSHVWP
Thanks, I updated the link for Boston.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I hate to break it to you, but none of those cities will ever have a downtown as active as they did in 1920. Americans back then lived in much tighter spaces than we do today, and owning a personal automobile was still uncommon. We won't return to that unless there is some kind of economic collapse. If you want to see this level of population density travel to a less-developed country.
Was the "adult" population density really that much higher than what we can achieve today? Children don't create downtown vibrancy, so they are irrelevant to this discussion. I don't know if there were really more adults living in cities in the 1910-1930s than we can achieve today. What makes you say that?

You can make an argument that we won't return to that level of vibrancy because shopping isn't done downtown, but the vibrancy isn't really what I am focused on with this thread. I am talking about downtown's becoming neighborhoods where tons of people live and play. That shift could be coming I think with a much higher density than anywhere else in cities which hasn't been the case for most cities because of the prevalence of office space.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,558,628 times
Quote:
Most downtowns around America were mixed-use vibrant bustling neighborhoods in the 1920s. ...
No downtowns can return to their best version.

First there is the perception problem: which best, to whose way of thinking?

Even if you could solve that problem, you could not get a city full of people to make such changes.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:32 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times
Quote:
Was the "adult" population density really that much higher than what we can achieve today? Children don't create downtown vibrancy, so they are irrelevant to this discussion. I don't know if there were really more adults living in cities in the 1910-1930s than we can achieve today. What makes you say that?

You can make an argument that we won't return to that level of vibrancy because shopping isn't done downtown, but the vibrancy isn't really what I am focused on with this thread. I am talking about downtown's becoming neighborhoods where tons of people live and play. That shift could be coming I think with a much higher density than anywhere else in cities which hasn't been the case for most cities because of the prevalence of office space.
I don't see that shift coming at all to be honest. Even with people in their 20s it's not *that* popular to live in a highly urban area. Outside of that demographic forget about it. In the 1920s people would raise large families in less than <1000 sqft. That's just not how it is today.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:37 AM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
Those were glorious times for downtowns in America! At least in terms of vibrancy, activity, and density of people.

Today, Americans love the automobile and lots of living space, and city living does not fit into those categories, unfortunately.

There are a handful of US cities with still-vibrant downtowns, but most will never return to the bustling nature of those shots in the 1920s.

With the digital "remote era of work anywhere," this also disconnects people from having to live in cities. They can live anywhere they want and still work and get paid well.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 09-30-2022 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-30-2022, 11:22 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,577,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
From what I know and have seen, average people back then lived in smaller houses. The old apartments seem quite large compared to today. Regardless, people can live very well in smaller places if the amenities around them are there. No need for a car if transit is good, bike paths available, car share programs and walking is safe and pleasant. Also walking to shops and entertainments, is not only convenient, but healthier than getting into a car. A city should force developers to add public art and park spaces.

The idea that this level of density only exists in less-developed countries is simply not true. It exist in the US in parts, it exists in Canada ( my neighbourhood is exactly as I have described above ), and many other places.

I believe there are millions of Americans who are tired of the drive to work, or having to get into a car to buy milk, or see a movie. They would love to live in a vibrant, safe, downtown walkable neighbourhood.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:31 AM

509 posts, read 434,621 times
A few I have been to possibly already have (obviously was not alive then so can't reasonably compare), but they are much more related to tourism than ever before and were minimally impacted by urban renewal and interstate construction. But sidewalks do seem to always be busting at the seams whenever I go including places such as:

Charleston, SC
Asheville, NC
Savannah, GA
St. Augustine, FL
Frederick, MD

Maybe Greenville, SC

And quite possibly few college towns as well I have been to such as:

Athens, GA
Boulder, CO
Charlottesville, VA
Cambridge, MA
Ann Arbor, MI
Chapel Hill, NC

One thing is most of these places had streetcars a hundred years ago which definitely added to the bustling streets and vibrancy.

Unfortunately, major center cities of the US were so completely wrecked by urban renewal, disinvestment, suburban sprawl, retail flight, dismantling of the streetcars and interurbans, white flight, McMansionization, etc, I do not see them coming back to where they were. Perhaps towards the end of the century who knows. Another factor is smaller household sizes. I live in the center of a very historic city (by US standards) where most of the historic neighborhoods are still intact, but the demographics of those households has changed dramatically. Whereas 100 years ago these homes had 5 - 6 people living in them including 4 kids, today it is 1 - 2 mainly retired individuals, yuppies, or young professionals and usually without children. This has cut the center city population in half since the 1940's, even as the city at-large has sprawled and doubled in population in that time.

Downtowns I will say are doing better by and large than when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, but still a far cry from what they were 1890 - 1940.

Last edited by dbcook1; 09-30-2022 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City