Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City MOST like Los Angeles?
Austin 3 1.44%
Raleigh 2 0.96%
San Antonio 6 2.88%
Houston 83 39.90%
Dallas 18 8.65%
Denver 13 6.25%
Orlando 6 2.88%
Salt Lake City 2 0.96%
Oklahoma City 5 2.40%
Miami 70 33.65%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 05:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
That's really funny. My mom's side of the family is from Ohio and so is my boss. I run into a ton of Ohioans and people from Michigan too. College football is starting soon and in my neighborhood a lot people fly the flags of their schools. I see almost all Big 10 schools. Ohio St, Michigan, Mich. St, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, and Iowa. They far outnumber ASU and UofA flags.
Yeah, I guess it boils down to what part of the Valley you live in. I mainly only lived in central Phx each time I lived there, and briefly in NE Phx (32nd St. and Cactus). I did have a boss once who was from Columbus, OH, but for some reason I just never really met many Ohioans there. Even fewer people from Michigan. TONS of Chicago-area people though. Then when I lived in Houston, it seemed like I couldn't go anywhere without meeting someone from either Cleveland or Detroit. Same thing in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 6,322 times
Phoenix is baby LA

Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 PM

353 posts, read 656,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, I guess it boils down to what part of the Valley you live in. I mainly only lived in central Phx each time I lived there, and briefly in NE Phx (32nd St. and Cactus). I did have a boss once who was from Columbus, OH, but for some reason I just never really met many Ohioans there. Even fewer people from Michigan. TONS of Chicago-area people though. Then when I lived in Houston, it seemed like I couldn't go anywhere without meeting someone from either Cleveland or Detroit. Same thing in Dallas.
Interesting. I live in Scottsdale and it's definitely a mix of every state in the upper Midwest with a fair amount of east coast and quite a bit of California all mixed together.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Denver, but only because of marijuana tolerance.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
I live in Miami....and I dont think LA is anything like Miami...nor is Miami anything like LA.

When I first went out to LA I thought there would be a lot of similiarities.
After spending 3 weeks in LA...I decided there were almost none. I was completely wrong.

LA is just so much larger and more diverse. There's just sooo much stuff... endless. More diversity in people, thoughts, attitudes, etc. There's more of everything in LA.

Miami tends to be very one-sided, which is Latin. There is diversity but it's skewed toward Latin American diversity and not much else. Miami basically has three main Hispanic groups: Cubans, Colombians, Venezuelans....and then other smaller groups of Brazilians, various Caribbean island and some Europeans. Miami, to me.... doesn't seem as forward thinking as LA. The people of LA seem a bit more motivated and aware of things like...i dunno...the envirnment, tolerance of other cultures/religions, etc.

Many south Americans in Miami hold very traditional views on social issues and I think it tends to hold Miami back sometimes. issues like clean water/air/marriage equality/medical marijuana/education ie "going away to pursue college or university"/environmentally conscious

Also, LA's enconomy seem more diverse and healthier then Miami's. There are more office parks and corporate headquarters. More middle-class housing all over LA, despite LA is very expensive.

Miami is a city of haves and have-nots. You have super-rich flashy people and then u have a lot of poor.
U do have a middle class, but it's a bit small. Miami has superior beaches and water....and superior winter weater IMO, but LA is just all around more interesting, eccentric, ecclectic, and just more of a "cool" factor then miami.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:29 PM

Most big cities in America these days are "haves vs. have-nots". That's nothing that's unique to L.A., Miami, or any other big metro. Hell, even a lot of smaller cities are like that now. Small towns even. That's just the times we live in.

I agree with OptimusPrime69. I think Miami and L.A. are very different from each other, palm trees and beaches aside.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
I agree with OptimusPrime69. I think Miami and L.A. are very different from each other, palm trees and beaches aside.
Even those palm trees and beaches look very different. The sand in Miami is white vs. LA's yellow beaches, and palm trees look greener in Miami. I don't know why but all the palm trees here are a little brown. Could be the drier climate, could be that they're just using a different species here than the ones in Miami.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Even those palm trees and beaches look very different. The sand in Miami is white vs. LA's yellow beaches, and palm trees look greener in Miami. I don't know why but all the palm trees here are a little brown. Could be the drier climate, could be that they're just using a different species here than the ones in Miami.
Yes, different species. Most of the palms in L.A. are Washingtonia palms, which are native to the Southern California desert canyons and more suited to semi-arid, Mediterranean climates. In Miami, you mainly see Royal Palms and Coconut palms, which are more suited to humid, tropical climates.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Almost every show set in Miami, is under the tv trickery of "California Doubling". Hardly any of the Miami shows, are filmed in Miami.
Main/California Doubling - Television Tropes & Idioms

Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
I agree, and I lived in Phoenix for 8 years. Phoenix is much more like the inland empire suburbs (San Bernardino-Riverside-Fontana) than it is like the actual city of Los Angeles. Big difference IMO.
Great comparison. I lived many years in the Inland Empire. Yep, Phoenix and the IE are pretty similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City