Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City MOST like Los Angeles?
Austin 3 1.44%
Raleigh 2 0.96%
San Antonio 6 2.88%
Houston 83 39.90%
Dallas 18 8.65%
Denver 13 6.25%
Orlando 6 2.88%
Salt Lake City 2 0.96%
Oklahoma City 5 2.40%
Miami 70 33.65%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 17,293 times

Advertisements

San Jose is exactly like LA. The layout of the city is identical. LA is Hollywood and San Jose is Silicon Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt patch View Post
San Jose is exactly like LA. The layout of the city is identical. LA is Hollywood and San Jose is Silicon Valley.
No, not really. If anything San Jose sort of reminds me of the San Gabriel Valley. I would imagine that San Jose's downtown is probably about as big as Pasadena's too. SGV has a population around 2 million and San Jose metro has around 2 million.

Los Angeles however, is much larger, denser and cosmopolitan than San Jose. East Bay and San Diego are much closer "California cousins" of LA than the South Bay.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:14 AM

408 posts, read 580,589 times
i would vote but no Phoenix as an option..

Old 08-22-2014, 01:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No, not really. If anything San Jose sort of reminds me of the San Gabriel Valley. I would imagine that San Jose's downtown is probably about as big as Pasadena's too. SGV has a population around 2 million and San Jose metro has around 2 million.

Los Angeles however, is much larger, denser and cosmopolitan than San Jose. East Bay and San Diego are much closer "California cousins" of LA than the South Bay.
I would imagine you're pretty clueless on the matter.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I would imagine you're pretty clueless on the matter.
What makes you say that? I have been in the Santa Clara Valley countless times, have an in-law that lived there for years... I'm not expert on San Jose but if you think it looks more like Los Angeles than the East Bay, then I don't know what to tell you.

It definitely looks like parts of Southern California - like the San Gabriel Valley, parts of the San Fernando Valley, maybe a few parts of the Westside and the South Bay. But IMO not moreso than the East Bay or San Diego.

Here are the two downtown areas from above:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...9d8c0aca9f717b
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...2b41161ad18f4a

It is kind of apples-to-oranges as Pasadena is a less important hub to the region than downtown San Jose is, but they are about the same physical size.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 PM

214 posts, read 300,014 times
If Denver only had palm trees ... Lol

I think it definitely drew influence from Los Angeles. You find similar architectural styles in both places.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 PM

74 posts, read 152,941 times
While I voted for Houston, since it, like Los Angeles, has a large network of freeways going seemingly everywhere, bad traffic, air pollution, and unending sprawl in addition to a warm climate, a similarly sized skyline and a large Mexican expat population due to its proximity to Mexico, I could make an argument for Atlanta to be on the list since it shares a number of attributes to Los Angeles. Atlanta has unending sprawl, a network of freeways and bad traffic in addition to a hilly downtown, whose skyline is similar to LA's.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 PM

74 posts, read 152,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
On that list? Miami. But I have to wonder, why in the flying monkey taint wasnt Phoenix included on that poll? Seriously.
I wonder, too. Atlanta is not on the list, although it shares some attributes with LA. And how did Raleigh, Orlando, Oklahoma City, and Salt Lake City get on the list? They have hardly anything in common with Los Angeles. Austin doesn't have a single vote, although I think it has more in common with LA than the four previous cities I mentioned.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Parts of the Hill Country in Austin/San Antonio look like they could pass for the Northwest Los Angeles County "Ozarks", north of Malibu. The brown/brushy, yet vegetated hills in West Austin resemble those in Northwest Los Angeles County. And the limestone cliffs in the Texas Hill Country resemble the many Canyons throughout LA County. Does anybody else see the same?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Parts of the Hill Country in Austin/San Antonio look like they could pass for the Northwest Los Angeles County "Ozarks", north of Malibu. The brown/brushy, yet vegetated hills in West Austin resemble those in Northwest Los Angeles County. And the limestone cliffs in the Texas Hill Country resemble the many Canyons throughout LA County. Does anybody else see the same?
A little bit, yes. Especially the far Northwest suburbs of San Antonio, like Helotes and the Dominion. However, as cities, neither SA nor Austin are anything like L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City