Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 PM

631 posts, read 1,576,712 times

Advertisements

Well i live pretty darn close to the center of the nation and here BOTH cities contribute largely to our culture, but i gotta give this to LA for having the TV/music scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM

486 posts, read 1,036,426 times
NYC by far.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,098,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
It's my own perception. The thread is just calling for our own perceptions and opinions, and mine is that LA is much more glamorized and has much more of a draw, culturally, than NYC does. You're free to disagree.
We have to agree to disagree. I was just trying to understand why you felt that way. How could you possibly think la is bigger culturally? I was just curious.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,772,398 times
New York City and Chicago are both considered alpha cities also known as world cities. SF and LA are beta cities. So....NYC

Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM

721 posts, read 1,796,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
New York City and Chicago are both considered alpha cities also known as world cities. SF and LA are beta cities. So....NYC
What?! Since when has L.A been a beta city...? San Francisco is understandable, but L.A? Really?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM

981 posts, read 807,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
What?! Since when has L.A been a beta city...? San Francisco is understandable, but L.A? Really?
Previously, LA was ranked as an Alpha World City, just one step below NYC. However, a new ranking places LA in the Beta World City category, which I think is an absolute load of crap. I can understand NYC being ranked above LA, but Chicago? Please.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM

981 posts, read 807,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
We have to agree to disagree. I was just trying to understand why you felt that way. How could you possibly think la is bigger culturally? I was just curious.
It doesn't matter, because whatever I say will be refuted/denied, so whatever.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,098,210 times
matter of fact the only argument i've heard for LA was movies. What else? Im not trying to be a smurf. Im just saying

Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 AM

721 posts, read 1,796,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Previously, LA was ranked as an Alpha World City, just one step below NYC. However, a new ranking places LA in the Beta World City category, which I think is an absolute load of crap. I can understand NYC being ranked above LA, but Chicago? Please.
I've always thought Chicago and L.A were about the same when it came to world rankings. L.A tends to be over exaggerated greatly. Obviously there's a reason it's ranked behind Chicago, no need to try and insult Chicago...

Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
matter of fact the only argument i've heard for LA was movies. What else? Im not trying to be a smurf. Im just saying
Los Angeles is a LOT more than just movies. No one can seriously believe that the US's second largest city and metro became that as a one-trick pony, right?

Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyhow, LA's influence is actually greater than is proportional to its size since media production and advertisement (as well as higher education in which LA is also a major player) are so heavily geared towards influencing others. However, NYC is also a media and higher education capital as well as a major locus of corporate headquarters and various political institutions. So the choice is squarely on NYC.

That being said, the US doesn't have a primate city whatsoever (and the main industries of both cities have steadily distributed themselves into other cities in the past few decades) so the influence of both of them are often greatly exaggerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City