Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,770,915 times

Advertisements

If the great lakes are not within 1 hour drive, it is not a great lakes city.
Called Kansas City/St Louis a great lakes city is like calling Nashville/Atlanta a coastal city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,832,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Yep those are all fine. Just no Canadian cities or Chicago. The city dosent have to be right on the water but atleast close enough to be able to take a day trip to the water.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,832,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If the great lakes are not within 1 hour drive, it is not a great lakes city.
Called Kansas City/St Louis a great lakes city is like calling Nashville/Atlanta a coastal city.
I agree, please do not include cities that are over an hour away, hour and a half at the very most.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:22 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,455,806 times
Excluding Chicago and Toronto, if you consider Minneapolis part of the Great Lakes, that is definitely your best bet.

If not:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Milwaukee
3. Cleveland
4. Columbus
5. Grand Rapids

I don't know if you count Cincinnati or Indianapolis, but those are good cities too.

Edit: Minneapolis is 2 hours from Lake Superior, but it is of course in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, so there's no shortage of water activity. I still don't know if it's really a Great Lakes city though.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Toronto is a very nice large metropolitan area, but the OP specified "U.S. city".
Toronto is the best lake great city in the world

Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,939,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malta Tycoon View Post
Toronto is the best lake great city in the world

The OP specifically specified a U.S. city. US citizens cannot just go live in Canada.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 PM

94,122 posts, read 124,939,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I guess. I personally think calling Kansas City, St. Louis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Altoona "Great Lakes" city is ridiculous, though. An argument can be made for Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and Columbus since they are all within 2-3 hours of a Great Lake. I also don't know why they didn't include Syracuse.
Good call about Syracuse, as the metro area touches Lake Ontario and the city is 40-45 minutes from that lake. Same with the new Watertown-Fort Drum metro area too.

As for suggestions, I'd suggest Farmington/Farmington Hills or the Plymouth/Canton/Salem area of the Detroit metro. Perhaps Royal Oak, Berkley and Birmingham too.

In Cleveland, Solon, Twinsburg, Mentor and Lakewood, among others.

In Buffalo, I'd say that Williamsville, East Aurora, Amherst, Lancaster and Orchard Park.

In Rochester, Pittsford, Brighton, Penfield, Webster, Fairport, Brockport, Spencerport and Victor.

In Syracuse, Baldwinsville, DeWitt, the Fayetteville-Manlius area, Liverpool(village), the Westhill SD and Camillus/Fairmount.

In Lansing, East Lansing, Okemos, Haslett, DeWitt, Grand Ledge and Holt.

In Grand Rapids, East Grand Rapids, Rockford, Jenison, Grandville, Ada/Forest Hills, Kenowa Hills and Lowell.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-02-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM

14,198 posts, read 22,828,616 times
Pittsburgh, Columbus and Minneapolis/St. Paul are not Great Lakes metropolitan areas. The major Great Lakes metropolitan areas are Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo and Rochester, in order from largest to smallest.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,062,435 times
In order of relative importance:

Chicago
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Milwaukee

I have to disagree with those who are including Minneapolis and Pittsburgh. For me the definition of a "Great Lakes' City" requires that one of The Great Lakes plays a major cultural and/or economic role in that city's profile. This just isn't the case with Minneapolis or Pittsburgh. In fact, both are "river cities" long before they are Great Lakes cities.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 AM

1,486 posts, read 293,082 times
Minneapolis, Colombus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh are all great cities within driving distance of Great Lakes. I'm not gonna include Detroit as it's really run down and the metro isn't good anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City