Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Detroits Oakland County Suburbs/ Ann Arbor area, Madison, Cleveland (i'm not all that fimiliar with the burbs) all fit that Criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 AM

223 posts, read 300,241 times
Default Great Lakes Metros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pittsburgh, Columbus and Minneapolis/St. Paul are not Great Lakes metropolitan areas. The major Great Lakes metropolitan areas are Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo and Rochester, in order from largest to smallest.
Nobody has mentioned Duluth-Superior. That is the largest U.S. metro on Lake Superior. The metro population is 250,000. Lake Superior is the largest of the Great Lakes. Since the OP stated he doesn't mind cold and snow, it is another choice for a mid-sized city. BTW...The port itself is one of the busiest on the Great Lakes. Shown below is a piece from the Duluth Port Authority:

"Located at the western end of the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence seaway, it is the farthest-inland freshwater seaport and one of the leading bulk cargo ports in all of North America. By far, the largest and busiest on the Great Lakes, the Port of Duluth-Superior handles an average of 38 million short tons of cargo and nearly 1,000 vessel visits each year...connecting the heartland of the U.S. and Canada to the rest of the world."

Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
1. Erie. Extremely family friendly.
2. Buffalo. More to do than can be imagined.
3. Suburbs of Cleveland
4. Toledo
5. Chicago

Pittsburgh???? Please. No where near the same attitude. Erie and Pittsburgh are complete opposites. Next the Pittsburgh Cheerleaders will be saying it is the best West Coast city in the US.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
I don't include Columbus in the Great Lakes. For me, Great Lakes = Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, Chicago, MPLS, Milwaukee.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:04 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Nobody has mentioned Duluth-Superior. That is the largest U.S. metro on Lake Superior. The metro population is 250,000. Lake Superior is the largest of the Great Lakes. Since the OP stated he doesn't mind cold and snow, it is another choice for a mid-sized city. BTW...The port itself is one of the busiest on the Great Lakes. Shown below is a piece from the Duluth Port Authority:

"Located at the western end of the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence seaway, it is the farthest-inland freshwater seaport and one of the leading bulk cargo ports in all of North America. By far, the largest and busiest on the Great Lakes, the Port of Duluth-Superior handles an average of 38 million short tons of cargo and nearly 1,000 vessel visits each year...connecting the heartland of the U.S. and Canada to the rest of the world."
You think Duluth/Superior is a "top 5 Great Lakes metro?" I like the area, but I respectfully disagree - it's nowhere near the top 5 in any category I can think of, outside "hilliest." I grew up in Sturgeon Bay, WI, and it was "the biggest shipbuilding port on the Great Lakes" for many years. It was also under 8,000 people and nowhere near a "top Great Lakes metro." Though it's much nicer than Duluth/Superior! Lake Superior simply doesn't have a major metro. Good call throwing a new name in the hat, but I don't believe it qualifies.

This thread is a disaster anyway, because people keep including Chicago and Canadian cities, which the OP specifically asked not be included. As well as cities several hours away from a Great Lake.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:24 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Why is Minneapolis - St. Paul being listed?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I guess. I personally think calling Kansas City, St. Louis, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Altoona "Great Lakes" city is ridiculous, though. An argument can be made for Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and Columbus since they are all within 2-3 hours of a Great Lake. I also don't know why they didn't include Syracuse.
Yeah LOL at KC being a Great Lakes city. In the time it'd take to get to the closest lake (southwestern tip of Lake Michigan/Chicago) one could also be in Denver or Dallas.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Why is Minneapolis - St. Paul being listed?
Because people like Minneapolis, and they like the Great Lakes, but they don't really like the region Minneapolis is actually a part of.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:17 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
If you're talking about true great lakes cities (i.e. cities touching the great lakes, or in the great lakes watershed), my list would be as follows (excluding Chicago):

1) Cleveland - Great location for families. Economy is pretty strong, and improving. Lots of nice suburbs with good schools, such as Shaker Heights. 3 sports teams, including the newly Lebroned Cavs, the Johnny Footballed Browns, and Terry Francona's Indians. Great Downtown, lots of kids activities, GREAT parks (Cuyahoga County Metroparks and Cuyahoga Valley National Park are some of the nicest urban nature parks in the country), plus Lake Erie for water activities and going to the beach.
2) Milwaukee
3) Detroit
4) Buffalo
5) Rochester, NY

Honorable mention:
-Duluth
-Toledo
-Grand Rapids

Old 09-03-2014, 01:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollsack View Post
Minneapolis, Colombus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh are all great cities within driving distance of Great Lakes. I'm not gonna include Detroit as it's really run down and the metro isn't good anymore.
Oakland County, MI is one of the 50 richest counties in the United States in terms of median household income, and that's despite having over 1,000,000 residents. Yeah, the city of Detroit is a wreck, but that doesn't mean the entire metropolitan area is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Nobody has mentioned Duluth-Superior. That is the largest U.S. metro on Lake Superior. The metro population is 250,000.
That's why I didn't mention it, because I listed the major metropolitan areas, which have populations over 1,000,000. It's the same reason I didn't mention Green Bay, Toledo, Erie, or any Michigan metropolitan area other than Detroit either, though Grand Rapids will be the next major metropolitan area in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City