Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 01:00 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm right. So there! I didn't know arguments were won this way!!

I do have to say that the smugness of Seattlies -- at least on this forum -- is incredibly unappealing to me....hopefully I'm just getting a bad sample of its citizens, and that's not actually how people there act.
The smugness usually comes in, any time the notion that a city from the midwest might be able to compete with the darlings of the coastal elitists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 01:34 PM

456 posts, read 774,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm right. So there! I didn't know arguments were won this way!!

I do have to say that the smugness of Seattlies -- at least on this forum -- is incredibly unappealing to me....hopefully I'm just getting a bad sample of its citizens, and that's not actually how people there act.
In real life, Seattle is full of lots of former midwesterners. My block for instance has a sizable connection to Chicago with a bit of Minneapolis thrown in. And I agree that its hard to say much about a region from a forum which frankly is meant to wall off all these sometimes silly discussions from the rest of the posts.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Aren't they frozen in the winter? I don't see how frozen lakes and rivers would contribute to humidity.
Blow a fan in front of a tub of ice. It's windchill.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:01 PM

198 posts, read 259,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Blow a fan in front of a tub of ice. It's windchill.
No, you are completely wrong, lakes and rivers are completely frozen over in winter. Lmao, were you perhaps thinking of Duluth MN? If you don't know your geography, the Twin Cities are further inland. The winters are crisp and sunny. You can't make presumptions about our winters unless you've experienced multiple yourself. WHY IS IT TO HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT OUR WINTERS AREN'T DAMP?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 PM

251 posts, read 341,712 times

Old 09-21-2014, 09:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
That poster was doing just fine until it bragged about being one of the snobbiest cities (which I don't think it is, btw). Why would any city want to brag about that? Weird poster. Talks up all these great points and then just kills the whole thing by bragging about elitism. And like I said, from my experiences being in MSP, I actually found it to be one of the LEAST snobby cities (with great attributes) in the nation. One of the main reasons it's one of my top 3 favorite U.S. cities.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:08 PM

251 posts, read 341,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
That poster was doing just fine until it bragged about being one of the snobbiest cities (which I don't think it is, btw). Why would any city want to brag about that? Weird poster. Talks up all these great points and then just kills the whole thing by bragging about elitism. And like I said, from my experiences being in MSP, I actually found it to be one of the LEAST snobby cities (with great attributes) in the nation. One of the main reasons it's one of my top 3 favorite U.S. cities.
I think the term "snobby" was misinterpreted in the infographic. Here is the original article it came from: America's Snobbiest Cities - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Its not so much snobby as in people are elitist, but more these cities offer high-brow attractions/culture.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:37 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
What an odd list. Sounds like the criteria were high-end shopping, classical music, theater, tech, coffee houses, green development and the highly ambiguous "reputation for aloof and smarty-pants residents." It sounds to me like most of the categories they used to rank the cities were like... positive things?

Old 09-23-2014, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv224 View Post
I think the term "snobby" was misinterpreted in the infographic. Here is the original article it came from: America's Snobbiest Cities - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Its not so much snobby as in people are elitist, but more these cities offer high-brow attractions/culture.
Oh gag me!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:59 PM

233 posts, read 752,243 times
I've just read this entire thread and I feel like I should put my two cents in as
a 17 year resident of Seattle.

I have had a version of this conversation with many visitors from MSP or people
who just moved from MSP to Seattle. It goes something like this…

Former MSP resident: "Just moved here from Minneapolis"

Seattle resident: "Oh cool, I've heard MSP and Seattle are a lot alike."
or
" I love Minneapolis, reminded me a lot of Seattle"

MSP: "Yeah, they are a lot alike. Minneapolis is like a midwestern version of Seattle in many ways."

That's it! That's all! No Seattle residents disparaging Minneapolis as a mid-western backwater or fly over country. Nope, just a mutual recognition of two similar cities in two different regions. Maybe a couple of asides about weather or nordic heritage but I have never heard anything bad about Minneapolis said by a Seattleite. That is just my experience though.

I have never been to Minneapolis myself and would love to go. I am aware of the cultural contributions that Minneapolis has made to the arts and music. I love Prince, The Replacements etc.. I have come close to the region by spending time in the north woods of Wisconsin. I loved the upper midwest (the beer/brats/hot dish/friday night fish fry/pontoon boats etc.) I think I would love Minneapolis too.

So to all you MSPers if you've never been to Seattle, please come. You might find us to be the Norway to your Sweden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City