Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,609,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
I've just read this entire thread and I feel like I should put my two cents in as
a 17 year resident of Seattle.

I have had a version of this conversation with many visitors from MSP or people
who just moved from MSP to Seattle. It goes something like this…

Former MSP resident: "Just moved here from Minneapolis"

Seattle resident: "Oh cool, I've heard MSP and Seattle are a lot alike."
or
" I love Minneapolis, reminded me a lot of Seattle"

MSP: "Yeah, they are a lot alike. Minneapolis is like a midwestern version of Seattle in many ways."

That's it! That's all! No Seattle residents disparaging Minneapolis as a mid-western backwater or fly over country. Nope, just a mutual recognition of two similar cities in two different regions. Maybe a couple of asides about weather or nordic heritage but I have never heard anything bad about Minneapolis said by a Seattleite. That is just my experience though.
+1

Exactly. That was my experience as well during the 4 years I lived in Seattle. I never heard a single bad thing said about MSP, and those who had spent time in both cities recognized the similarities. In fact, the only time I have ever seen any elitism, snobbery, or attempts at one-upmanship between these two cities has been exclusively in C-D forums. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:24 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,899,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
+1

Exactly. That was my experience as well during the 4 years I lived in Seattle. I never heard a single bad thing said about MSP, and those who had spent time in both cities recognized the similarities. In fact, the only time I have ever seen any elitism, snobbery, or attempts at one-upmanship between these two cities has been exclusively in C-D forums. Go figure.
Yeah, I really don't see why there is this perception that Seattleites would have snarky comments, being that so many folks here in Seattle have family from the Midwest or are themselves transplants from the Midwest. I think people don't realize that outside of Seattle city proper, the culture and attitude is probably very similar to the Midwest to be quite honest.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 AM

36 posts, read 44,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Great. Amazon and Microsoft still create more high wage jobs in the Seattle are than Cargill and Target do. Those earners have far more impact on the local economy than some resources transaction hundreds or even thousands of miles away.
That's not true. I know people who have worked at both, in both cities, and what you say is simply untrue.

I have to say that MSP is a great city, Seattle has a bit more "cool" factor with tech being more "exciting" than Cargill. The only detraction to MSP is the winters. They are tough. This, however, can be outweighed by the rain of Seattle and the depressing days without sunshine. Plus, once you live in SoCal with its "cool" factor you get tired to the cool factor real quick. I am sorry but I am tired of billionaires everywhere! I am. LOL. I have family in MSP. I think I would like Seattle but I'm not moving there. MSP is really family friendly.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:13 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
I've just read this entire thread and I feel like I should put my two cents in as
a 17 year resident of Seattle.

I have had a version of this conversation with many visitors from MSP or people
who just moved from MSP to Seattle. It goes something like this…

Former MSP resident: "Just moved here from Minneapolis"

Seattle resident: "Oh cool, I've heard MSP and Seattle are a lot alike."
or
" I love Minneapolis, reminded me a lot of Seattle"

MSP: "Yeah, they are a lot alike. Minneapolis is like a midwestern version of Seattle in many ways."

That's it! That's all! No Seattle residents disparaging Minneapolis as a mid-western backwater or fly over country. Nope, just a mutual recognition of two similar cities in two different regions. Maybe a couple of asides about weather or nordic heritage but I have never heard anything bad about Minneapolis said by a Seattleite. That is just my experience though.

I have never been to Minneapolis myself and would love to go. I am aware of the cultural contributions that Minneapolis has made to the arts and music. I love Prince, The Replacements etc.. I have come close to the region by spending time in the north woods of Wisconsin. I loved the upper midwest (the beer/brats/hot dish/friday night fish fry/pontoon boats etc.) I think I would love Minneapolis too.

So to all you MSPers if you've never been to Seattle, please come. You might find us to be the Norway to your Sweden.
Glad to hear it!!!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:24 PM

41 posts, read 62,632 times
This is crazy. Other than the obvious geography/climate differences, I can't think of two cities in the US that are more similar. Similar size, similar demographics (scary similar, both cities started as Scandinavian outposts, neither have a LOT of African Americans or Latinos but both have some, and both now have lots of Vietnamese and Somali people and a LGBTQ community), fairly affluent, good economies, similar insular put-us-on-the-map music scenes, both are progressive, clean, green, hippie/hipster havens, educated, outdoorsy...

Seriously, try to find two cities/metros that are more similar to each other.

Last edited by sacrelicio; 09-25-2014 at 09:31 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 02:30 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,832,336 times
It depends the metro areas are similar size . The culture and embracing green ways is big in both cities. If you like a downtown based mostly on work areas and neighborhood shopping for a mid size downtown population then yea go Minneapolis. If you like a city with twice the size downtown based on tourism, destination shopping, work areas, and one of the largest downtown populations in USA. Go Seattle.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,180,617 times
Both cities are similar.

Aloof, cold, isolated, reserved, and always ready to toot their own horn. Duluth has much nicer scenery, than the twin cities.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:01 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,545,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Both cities are similar.

Aloof, cold, isolated, reserved, and always ready to toot their own horn. Duluth has much nicer scenery, than the twin cities.
Well sure, but it has even harsher weather, fewer jobs, and a population of less than 80,000 and falling for decades. What's with people on C-D and Duluth?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,994,101 times
I'm part of that small group who actually thinks Duluth is a dump. I do like Fitger's though.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,609,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Both cities are similar.

It might appear that way if your only source of representation is from C-D forums. If you have spent any significant amount of time in either city, and actually got out and interacted with the locals beyond just a few isolated pockets, then you would find those C-D generated stereotypes to be pretty much irrelevant and inaccurate.

I lived in Seattle for four years, and have spent a lot of time in the twin cities. I actually found both metros to be similar for the exact opposite reasons than what you are claiming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City