Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for College Football?
Atlanta 43 45.26%
Boston 2 2.11%
Chicago 4 4.21%
Dallas 7 7.37%
Houston 6 6.32%
Los Angeles 27 28.42%
San Francisco 0 0%
Seattle 6 6.32%
Washington DC 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:39 PM

489 posts, read 912,634 times

Advertisements

Overall, it's Atlanta. SEC title game, Chick-Fil-A kickoff and bowl game. College football hall of fame. LA would get the nod for 2nd place.

As for an individual college city: Columbus, Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:43 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,092,266 times
I feel like this is a question better suited for college towns and mid sized cites as you only included cities that are top 20 metro areas which tend to be much more pro heavy. With the exception of maybe Atlanta I don't think any of these are real good choices. None of them are really known for being college sports fortresses.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:04 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Overall, it's Atlanta. SEC title game, Chick-Fil-A kickoff and bowl game. College football hall of fame. LA would get the nod for 2nd place.

As for an individual college city: Columbus, Ohio.
LA? Nooo Dallas beats LA for second place here. I would vote for Atlanta overall though.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I feel like this is a question better suited for college towns and mid sized cites as you only included cities that are top 20 metro areas which tend to be much more pro heavy. With the exception of maybe Atlanta I don't think any of these are real good choices. None of them are really known for being college sports fortresses.
Dallas makes a pretty good alternative to Atlanta even though it's a more of a pro sports town. A great unique rivalry held every year, one of the oldest collegiate bowls every year. Big area for big 12 fans and probably woul have been the permanent home for Big 12 championship games if not for realignment. I think Dallas was in the running to get the college football hall of came but lost out on Atlanta. It's always been a major college football area.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,998,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LA? Nooo Dallas beats LA for second place here. I would vote for Atlanta overall though.
LA has no NFL team so all the focus is on USC & UCLA. Also, the Rose Bowl is a pretty big deal and that is played in the LA suburb of Pasadena. You'd be suprised about how much people love football in LA. You know the city that has the 3rd most NFL players and the highschool with the most NFL players in the country in Long Beach Poly. It get's pretty real out here and most states in the West including: Oregon, Boise State, Washington, Arizona & Utah etc recruit out of Southern California. Like everything else LA is involved in sports wise, we get dismissed because people hold a bias against the LA area in everything.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,987,727 times
For the cities listed, I'd say Atlanta's number 1, than Dallas/LA are pretty close to interchangeable. USC, and UCLA are HUGE draws, and Dallas is the capital of Big12 country, hosting the Red River shootout each year. Cities like Tuscaloosa, Austin, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Gainseville etc, are also among the elite. And I'm not saying Miami is the best CB Football town, but Miami would be a better choice than at least 2 or 3 of the towns on the poll. Just based on the historical success of the Hurricanes, and the red-hot NFL draft bed known as the South Florida Metropolitan Area.

South Florida may be filled with fair-weather fans, but South Florida Metro Area produces football talent at a higher rate than any other metro area pound-for-pound. South Florida is 2nd to none, when producing the actual football talent. The same way talented players from LA and The Bay Area seep into other Pac-12 schools in states like AZ, OR, WA, etc, and the same way Texas talent seeps into other Big-12 schools like Oklahoma, Kansas, etc, Florida talent supplies the whole I-95 corridor, like the cocaine that floods the port of Miami and supplies the East-Coast. Heck, South Florida supplies Heisman-worthy talent to other talent-heavy hot-beds like Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, California, and Ohio.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:35 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,092,266 times
If I had to choose one, I'd go with LA from that list. It has two storied programs and no pro team.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 AM

489 posts, read 912,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas has small time college teams in the area (TCU, SMU, North Texas), the Red River Rivalry, and the Cotton Bowl. In recent years, good opening week OOC games. Definitely pushed LA for second place, no doubt.

But USC is the most successful college football team of all time, and UCLA is no slouch. Add in the "Grand Daddy of them all" in the Rose Bowl, and imo, it get's the nod for 2nd.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Dallas has small time college teams in the area (TCU, SMU, North Texas), the Red River Rivalry, and the Cotton Bowl. In recent years, good opening week OOC games. Definitely pushed LA for second place, no doubt.

But USC is the most successful college football team of all time, and UCLA is no slouch. Add in the "Grand Daddy of them all" in the Rose Bowl, and imo, it get's the nod for 2nd.
Yeah I understand the Rose Bowl but outside of that and USC being a blue blood program( I don't agree they are the most successful program of all time), it's not really a college football mecca with huge support like you would find in Dallas even without the big name programs. With all do respect, UCLA is not a powerhouse and their fans are meh at best when it comes to college football atmosphere. I see Dallas as second though good argument was made for LA.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,877,747 times
Dallas is a contender. Home of the Cotton Bowl. Plus you have the Texas/OU game there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City