Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More fast paced?
Atlanta 91 56.88%
Baltimore 69 43.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times

Advertisements

For the sake of clarity, the OP should have defined "fast paced." Perhaps I don't know what fast paced is. As an Atlanta resident, I find the pace annoyingly slow. I've stated in another thread that the problem is mine, not Atlanta's. I'm certain that I'd be healthier if I could slow down.

I don't know if the person who allows the person at a green light to sit there when there is ample opportunity to proceed is boiling or is very patient. I recall several occasions, during the work week, being downtown, on foot, and at a traffic light. People will politely allow "Sally cell phone" to yap, instead of proceed through the green light. I recall being behind several people at a traffic light. When the light turned greed, and it was safe to proceed, the people in front of me stood there! Not wanting to bogart, I said, "GO!?" If looks could kill!

Point is, people don't seem to be in a hurry here, overall. That is NOT a bad thing. Certainly, one will hear a horn or two in the Atlanta streets. Sometimes it's a gentle blow. Sometimes it's an exasperated blare!

I haven't driven in a Southern big city that didn't have fast drivers. Be it Jackson, MS, Memphis, TN, or Atlanta, GA. That said, I wouldn't call Jackson fast paced.

Atlanta has vibrancy and is a fun place. But fast? Again, perhaps I don't know what fast is. I've never been to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 02:49 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,583 times

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0aEB0Jo1yU

Baltimore Time 2012 on Vimeo

ASCEND BALTIMORE on Vimeo

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 09-29-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I forgot about the Star Spangled Banner, and the Grand Prix. There are plenty of reasons to be in downtown Baltimore day and night. Atlanta seems more like LA in that it feels like there are pockets of vibrancy all over the city, so even when your in one place, it feels like something is going on somewhere else.
Plus the passenger cruise ships leaving from Baltimore. I also never been to Atlanta. But most of the vibracy outside of Baltimore's core happen in the city parks during the summer and the maryland counties either at ocean city at the malls and theaters or even six flags, and we can always take day trips to DC only 45 minutes away or philly atlantic city and nyc by I-95 which adds to the diversity. DC for some sights, philly for cheestakes, Atlantic city for walking the boardwalk and gambling, NYC for that metropolis feel all within 3 hours of Baltimore's delicious old bay seasoning seafood. And I love having all these amenities close at half the cost as living in the other cities. You'll always see The Megabus or Bolt bus on I-95 with these for cities names on there led screens including baltimore. The M&T Bank Stadium will also host the 2016 Army Navy football game for the third time and Oriole Park at Camden Yards will host the 2016 MLB all star game.

Last edited by JMT; 09-29-2014 at 08:38 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
For the sake of clarity, the OP should have defined "fast paced." Perhaps I don't know what fast paced is. As an Atlanta resident, I find the pace annoyingly slow. I've stated in another thread that the problem is mine, not Atlanta's. I'm certain that I'd be healthier if I could slow down.

I don't know if the person who allows the person at a green light to sit there when there is ample opportunity to proceed is boiling or is very patient. I recall several occasions, during the work week, being downtown, on foot, and at a traffic light. People will politely allow "Sally cell phone" to yap, instead of proceed through the green light. I recall being behind several people at a traffic light. When the light turned greed, and it was safe to proceed, the people in front of me stood there! Not wanting to bogart, I said, "GO!?" If looks could kill!

Point is, people don't seem to be in a hurry here, overall. That is NOT a bad thing. Certainly, one will hear a horn or two in the Atlanta streets. Sometimes it's a gentle blow. Sometimes it's an exasperated blare!

I haven't driven in a Southern big city that didn't have fast drivers. Be it Jackson, MS, Memphis, TN, or Atlanta, GA. That said, I wouldn't call Jackson fast paced.

Atlanta has vibrancy and is a fun place. But fast? Again, perhaps I don't know what fast is. I've never been to Baltimore.

You obviously haven't driven in a lot of large cities around the nation. If you had you would know that Atlanta has some of the most aggressive drivers in the nation. (You seem to be one of them.) I've read remarks from people from big cities all over America say Atlanta drivers frighten them. So many truckers from all over the Nation have been so outraged by how wreckless and aggressive drivers in the Metro drive on the highway with them without law enforcement doing anything that they complained so loudly to state officials that they have vowed to start cracking down on it. Trust me. There are a lot of larger cities in America where you could not get away with the kind of fast wild driving that is pretty normal here in Atlanta.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:43 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Baltimore could have been one of America's greatest cities, but it fell prey to decay and white flight. It still has a healthy urban fabric, but much of it is the ghetto and blight so yeah. It's still far more of a city than Atlanta can hope for in the next 20 years or so. It still has good looking urban neighborhoods like Mt. Vernon. I wish Atlanta had a neighborhood like that in it's core.

As far as fast paced, I don't know...never been to Baltimore and I don't see many picture of this rather forgotten NE/Mid Atlantic city.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
All of that was done to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812. So you can expect a repeat of that again in ... one hundred years. We have several huge events that happen here every single year. I guarantee on a month to month basis there is more going on in Atlanta. And I'm still shocked that a North East city like Baltimore has such a boring looking dead subway system in comparison to Atlantas.
What subway system I'm not bragging on Baltimore's subway system because there really is none and its not the cities stronghold on public transportation. So you can have that. We also have several huge events. And I wouldn't talk to soon.

After Star-Spangled Spectacular, festival organizers seek next major draw - Baltimore Business Journal

After Star-Spangled Spectacular, festival organizers seek next major draw

As the tall ships sailed from Baltimore’s harbor Tuesday, Baltimoreans were left on the Inner Harbor promenade wondering: What’s next?

For the past several years the city has thrived on anticipation of large-scale events like Star-Spangled Sailabration in 2012 and the Star-Spangled Spectacular festival that drew to a close today.

Bill Pencek, executive director of the War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission that oversaw the festivals, said he’s not ready to let the fun end there.

“All the input, anecdotes we’ve gotten so far have been overwhelmingly positive. It’s sort of why don’t we do this every year, every weekend?†he said.

“We’ll be talking to the principal partners about the potential for doing something again,†he said. “What is the something? It’s certainly not going to be of the scale [of the Star-Spangled-Spectacular]. And what time of the year? That remains to be seen. And what assets? That remain to be seen.â€

Although the three-year commemoration of the War of 1812 ended with Star-Spangled Spectacular, the bicentennial commission’s charge isn’t over quite yet. The commission, created by Gov. Martin O’Malley’s executive order, expires in June 2015. Star-Spangled 200 Inc., the nonprofit organization formed to facilitate and fundraise for the events, will live on beyond that.

Talks began even before Star-Spangled Spectacular to bring back elements of the festival in future events, Pencek said. He said the relationships the commission and the city built with the U.S. Navy, the Blue Angels and local participants in the festival are too valuable to let slip away.

Star-Spangled Spectacular cost about $5.1 million to produce, with about $2 million coming from public sources.

Events like Sailabration and Spectacular proved Baltimore can host millions of people, but events of that size are rare. Star-Spangled Sailabration drew 1.56 million visitors in 2012, and city officials estimated Spectacular had the potential to be even larger. Tom Noonan, CEO of Visit Baltimore, says he doesn’t know when the next time an event of that scale will grace the city, or what it will be.

“Spectacular, in my opinion — we still have to wait for the results — but it’s going to be the largest if not one of the two largest events ever,†Noonan said. “That’s a huge event, so can we have one of that size? I don’t know about a million or a million and a half people.â€

An official count for Star-Spangled Spectacular is due back in an economic impact report set to be released in November.

However, Noonan said, it’s not unrealistic to expect another large event like that in the next decade — in addition to annual festivals like Artscape, large conventions like the New Hope Natural Products Expo that just started and sporting events.

“There’s always conversations about what is next on the horizon. I don’t think there’s a solid plan for that yet,†Noonan said. “We’re obviously looking for the next great thing that we can promote.â€

Visit Baltimore hosted about 20 meeting planners, member of its advisory board, during Star-Spangled Spectacular, and Noonan said the event will help the tourism board book potential clients.

“It was kind of reassuring for meeting planners to show them we can do their large events very, very well,†Noonan said. “It’s just a reflection that we have a great tourism product.â€

Old 09-29-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Baltimore could have been one of America's greatest cities, but it fell prey to decay and white flight. It still has a healthy urban fabric, but much of it is the ghetto and blight so yeah. It's still far more of a city than Atlanta can hope for in the next 20 years or so. It still has good looking urban neighborhoods like Mt. Vernon. I wish Atlanta had a neighborhood like that in it's core.

As far as fast paced, I don't know...never been to Baltimore and I don't see many picture of this rather forgotten NE/Mid Atlantic city.
Forgotten No-Underrated Yes

Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Baltimore is definitely on the rebound.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
All of that was done to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812. So you can expect a repeat of that again in ... one hundred years. We have several huge events that happen here every single year. I guarantee on a month to month basis there is more going on in Atlanta. And I'm still shocked that a North East city like Baltimore has such a boring looking dead subway system in comparison to Atlantas.
Just like I am really shocked to see these are your major passenger Amtrak stations

http://www.georgiatrust.org/images/2..._southern2.jpg
http://www.georgiatrust.org/images/2...e_station2.jpg

List of busiest Amtrak stations
List of busiest Amtrak stations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Penn Station
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._corrected.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-29-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
Just like I am really shocked to see these are your major passenger Amtrak stations

Why would you be shocked? Amtrack doesn't do much business outside the North East Corridor. Everybody knows that. Atlanta's strength (and reason for coming into existence in the first place) is freight rail not passenger. America in general is weak when it comes to passenger rail. People in most parts of this country find it easier to get around via car or plane. Thats why Atlanta has the busiest Airport.

Last edited by Galounger; 09-29-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City